My suit purchase today

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Oct 8, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I picked up a SB high stance 2 button (center vent -- and while I like double vent better, I like single vent much better than ventless) Aquascutum suit today. Filene's Basement. It is a light to medium gray with just a hint of steel blue threads to give it some visual texture. Fabric is very thin and smooth -- I think it is probably a Super 110s merino or something similar. Great weight for year round, and the color struck me as very appropriate for summer and spring wear especially (though I could wear it year round obviously).

Total price after markdown -- $200. Full canvas construction by the way, and the pants are great -- nice fit, split back waist, etc. Fit is perfect except for the sleeves, which I'll have to let out .5". I had been told that H. Freeman is the maker of the suit.

I think it was a deal too good to pass up (I have a dearth of lighter colored suit for those hot East Coast summer months).

2. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Damn, this sounds like a good deal . No Filene's in Stockholm [​IMG]

3. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior member

Sir, It sounds like your tailor requires a good horsewhipping or some other mild gesture to remind him who wears the trousers in the relationship.

4. Horace

Horace Senior member

Johnny:

what's the "split back" that you refer to?

It's simply the way the back of the trouser waistband is joined?  

I never thought one could obtain split-backed trousers in off-the-peg?

Or do you mean that sort of "V" back where there is actually a significant  part of the trouser that comes up the back (say right to the first or second lumbar) for braces?   I have this particular feature put on my British and HK bespoke, but hadn't seen it ever on off-the-peg, so maybe I've misunderstood the term?

Cheerio.

H

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

(johnnynorman3 @ 08 Oct. 2004, 10:08) I picked up a SB high stance 2 button (center vent -- and while I like double vent better, I like single vent much better than ventless) Aquascutum suit today. Â Filene's Basement. Â It is a light to medium gray with just a hint of steel blue threads to give it some visual texture. Â Fabric is very thin and smooth -- I think it is probably a Super 110s merino or something similar. Â Great weight for year round, and the color struck me as very appropriate for summer and spring wear especially (though I could wear it year round obviously). Â Total price after markdown -- $200. Â Full canvas construction by the way, and the pants are great -- nice fit, split back waist, etc. Â Fit is perfect except for the sleeves, which I'll have to let out .5". Â I had been told that H. Freeman is the maker of the suit. I think it was a deal too good to pass up (I have a dearth of lighter colored suit for those hot East Coast summer months).
    Johnny: what's the "split back" that you refer to? It's simply the way the back of the trouser waistband is joined?  I never thought one could obtain split-backed trousers in off-the-peg? Or do you mean that sort of "V" back where there is actually a significant  part of the trouser that comes up the back (say right to the first or second lumbar) for braces?  I have this particular feature put on my British and HK bespoke, but hadn't seen it ever on off-the-peg, so maybe I've misunderstood the term? Cheerio. H
    I believe he was refering to how the waist band is joined at the back. I've had a couple of slacks that came like that, namely, Castangia and Zegna, and most recently, my new Castangia suit.

6. kabert

kabert Senior member

I've admired some of the Aquascutum suits and blazers that Filene's seems to have a huge amount of right now. Some of them have very nice fabrics. The one Aquascutum item I owned, a pair of cotton dress slacks, got worn so much over the last few years that I recently donated them to the thrift shop after they started to show too much age.