• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 2: MTM Shirts courtesy of Drinkwaters

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 1st auction of the year is for a Goodies from No Man Walks Alone. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My suit lapels don't lie completely flat. Fixable?

deal

Reaction score
I just bought a rlbl suit in 40 L over the weekend for a great price. It fits pretty well I thought except the lapels don't lie completely flat and there is a small amount of cloth bunching up underneath the back of the collar. Lapels are supposed to lie completely flat, right ? Is this potentially fixable? What causes this? Square shoulders? A larger back than chest?

I am going to take it to a reputable tailor recommended on this forum, but wanted some insight to the problem before I go.

Thanks.

Edit: I realized I phrased my issue incorrectly after reading the responses. I meant to say that the upper part of my jacket does not lie flat on my chest. There is a gap between my chest and the jacket underneath the lapels.

yo!

Reaction score
Where does it not lie completely flat? Around to buttons of around the top near the notches?

And the collar bunching can be tailored out.

deal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
Where does it not lie completely flat? Around to buttons of around the top near the notches?

And the collar bunching can be tailored out.

Closer to the top, at the level of the notches.

Lawman

Reaction score
Thanks for the post! I have all high end jackets, and I have the same problem. Over time, they seem to lose their press, and end up kind of flopping. They lay flat when buttoned, but on a hanger or unbuttoned, they do not lie flush to the chest of the jacket. I've tried steam, but this only get the wrinkles out. Is it pressing that they require?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lapels should not lie completely flat. The "roll" of the lapel is a sign of its quality.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lapel roll...

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
A well-constructed lapel should roll, not lie flat. That little bunch or "pooch" of material between your shoulder blades is one of the more common fitting imperfections on jackets. Your tailor can easily alter it for a very small price.

deal

Reaction score
I don't think I phrased my issue correctly. The lapel rolls to the button and looks great.

What I should have said is that there is a gap between my upper chest and the jacket where the undersurface of the lapel is. In other words the upper part of the jacket does not lie flat on my chest but floats a little above it.

Sorry about the confusion.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with pretty much any OTR jackets that fit everywhere else. I've gone to several tailors and the issue is that the shoulders do not fit properly (too broad shoulders / too small shoulders on jacket). Unfortunately, at least from what I have been told, it is not fixable. I've pretty much given up on OTR because of it.

Originally Posted by deal
I don't think I phrased my issue correctly. The lapel rolls to the button and looks great.

What I should have said is that there is a gap between my upper chest and the jacket where the undersurface of the lapel is. In other words the upper part of the jacket does not lie flat on my chest but floats a little above it.

Sorry about the confusion.

Lawman

Reaction score
I'll have to take a picture, but this is not what I am talking about, at least. My issue has to do with the "lie" of the lapel. Even when they are on the hanger the lapel is away from the chest. It seems to happen if the jacket slips off the hanger, gets messed up among the boxes and briefcases during a trial, etc. It is more of a sloppy, wrinkle-like thing.

ishakir

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
I have the same issue with pretty much any OTR jackets that fit everywhere else. I've gone to several tailors and the issue is that the shoulders do not fit properly (too broad shoulders / too small shoulders on jacket). Unfortunately, at least from what I have been told, it is not fixable. I've pretty much given up on OTR because of it.
Originally Posted by deal
I don't think I phrased my issue correctly. The lapel rolls to the button and looks great. What I should have said is that there is a gap between my upper chest and the jacket where the undersurface of the lapel is. In other words the upper part of the jacket does not lie flat on my chest but floats a little above it. Sorry about the confusion.
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I was wondering if any of you have this problem with OTR jackets. A majority of the stuff I try behaves exactly like this and it has become rather frustrating. Any labels better than others in your experience? On a side note, is there a technical term for this? Regards

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 115 15.7%
  • 31 - 40