• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My.Suit - any opinions? (MTM suits for $495 and up)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my brother got one, the jackets are patialy fused the fabric is ok, if you are looking for a fashion forward suit that will get complements from 95% of humanity go for it, but as far as it being a truly good suit, id say no and you wont find much love for them here on SF

Johnny24

Reaction score
I walked around their shop near Union Square (I think), and I was not overly impressed with the suits and jackets they had on display, the tailoring was off but a lot. When I say that I mean the flap pockets on the jackets were not even close to even on the sides of the jacket. If someone had a right arm about 3 inches longer than their left if would have been a balanced look; my thought was, "if this is their display model or the best work they want to show off.....I am not even going to consider it". I did like the pattern on some of their fabrics though, there were a few cool ones if you wanted to do a "bold" suit.

Matt S

Reaction score
I went into the White Plains store. All the fabrics were Super 150s and up, so I didn't see the point in looking into them further.

zipzap

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
my brother got one, the jackets are patialy fused the fabric is ok, if you are looking for a fashion forward suit that will get complements from 95% of humanity go for it, but as far as it being a truly good suit, id say no and you wont find much love for them here on SF

Not sure what "patialy fused" means.

So this is good for a beginner such as myself?

zipzap

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny24
I walked around their shop near Union Square (I think), and I was not overly impressed with the suits and jackets they had on display, the tailoring was off but a lot. When I say that I mean the flap pockets on the jackets were not even close to even on the sides of the jacket. If someone had a right arm about 3 inches longer than their left if would have been a balanced look; my thought was, "if this is their display model or the best work they want to show off.....I am not even going to consider it". I did like the pattern on some of their fabrics though, there were a few cool ones if you wanted to do a "bold" suit.
Which patterns are you referring to? I tend to be traditional, but would consider something different and "bold". BTW, there are a few locations in Manhattan, including one on Madison Ave. - near all the glitzy designer stores. I've passed it may times, but always thought it would cost thousands being on Mad. Ave. I sure was surprised when I checked the website!

zipzap

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
I went into the White Plains store. All the fabrics were Super 150s and up, so I didn't see the point in looking into them further.

Why is that? Is 150s considered poor quality?

I should mention that I've never spent much more than $200 on a suit - usually from dep't stores such as Macy's and Syms, on sale or clearance. So this would be a big step up for me.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not a great garment, but if you are a tough fit, then a good, but inexpensive starting point.
your experience will depend on the salesmen. I was in the store once, listening to a salesman give all sorts of confusing information

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zipzap
Not sure what "patialy fused" means.

So this is good for a beginner such as myself?

sorry partialy fused (1/2 canvassed) is what i meant. it refers to the construction of the jacket, a better jacket will be fully canvassed, that is to say it has an inner canvass that holds the shape of the jacket which is sewn in, a fused jacket is glued on the inside, which can over time show bubbling and is generaly of lesser quality and wont last as long

as far as it being good for a beginner thats up to you the more you learn the more you will tend not to want to settle for something you have come to think less of

edit: im no expert im sure part of my definition is off im too lazy to really get into it but the point is the same

Hammertym3

Reaction score
This site is awesome! Though probably not the most trusted, I suggest just buying each garment individually.

zipzap

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
sorry partialy fused (1/2 canvassed) is what i meant. it refers to the construction of the jacket, a better jacket will be fully canvassed, that is to say it has an inner canvass that holds the shape of the jacket which is sewn in, a fused jacket is glued on the inside, which can over time show bubbling and is generaly of lesser quality and wont last as long

as far as it being good for a beginner thats up to you the more you learn the more you will tend not to want to settle for something you have come to think less of

edit: im no expert im sure part of my definition is off im too lazy to really get into it but the point is the same

Thanks. As I said, it would be a big step up for me, so I don't need the best for $10,000.

zipzap

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hammertym3
This site is awesome! Though probably not the most trusted, I suggest just buying each garment individually.

Yes, the site is cool. It lets you choose all the features online and save it for when you come in for measurements.

I plan to buy only 1 suit at first (although I'm still thinking about it).

Johnny24

Reaction score
Which patterns are you referring to? I tend to be traditional, but would consider something different and "bold".

BTW, there are a few locations in Manhattan, including one on Madison Ave. - near all the glitzy designer stores. I've passed it may times, but always thought it would cost thousands being on Mad. Ave. I sure was surprised when I checked the website!

They had some jackets on the racks that were somewhat "noticeable" to say the least, I wouldn't do anything that makes you look like you are on your way to a Vegas stage, but something in a bolder check or plaid would be a nice option, but only if you have the basic suits nailed already. Don't jump off with something you can't get away with wearing twice in a week.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. As I said, it would be a big step up for me, so I don't need the best for $10,000.

you can do a lot better than mysuitny for a lot less than 10k, but for the options you get and if you like the style give it a shot, not my thing but to each their own

Matt S

Reaction score
Why is that? Is 150s considered poor quality?

I should mention that I've never spent much more than $200 on a suit - usually from dep't stores such as Macy's and Syms, on sale or clearance. So this would be a big step up for me.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

The super number means finesse of the fibres. Higher numbers are finer, which means softer but wrinkle more and are less durable. This has NOTHING to do with quality. I find Super 120s to be a good balance of finesse and durability, though I Prefer super 100s. I want any suit I purchase to last as long as possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads