• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My style is very inconsistent

seanf999

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post so apologises if I'm doing something wrong.

My style is all over the place, theres nothing really cohesive.

One day I could be really into the Loro Piana, Tom Ford luxury style but suited towards someone younger like me (20), so less suiting and more sneakers.

Or I could be into the whole JacobJKeller style of high rise jeans, Dr Marten boots and tucked in t's.

I don't really wear either, I don't think what I currently wear is indicative of my style.
I just wear slim/skinny jeans, runners, t shirt and maybe a sweater or a jacket..
It's all very basic and I'm just making sure things fit rather than experimenting like I want to..

I live in rural Ireland so it's not the most stylish place, I get called out for dressing up when I wear jeans because most people wear joggers.

Any ideas on how to form a consistent sense of style?
I know it sounds idiotic but mine really is not consistent.
Thanks!

jeremyleediaz

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post so apologises if I'm doing something wrong.

My style is all over the place, theres nothing really cohesive.

One day I could be really into the Loro Piana, Tom Ford luxury style but suited towards someone younger like me (20), so less suiting and more sneakers.

Or I could be into the whole JacobJKeller style of high rise jeans, Dr Marten boots and tucked in t's.

I don't really wear either, I don't think what I currently wear is indicative of my style.
I just wear slim/skinny jeans, runners, t shirt and maybe a sweater or a jacket..
It's all very basic and I'm just making sure things fit rather than experimenting like I want to..

I live in rural Ireland so it's not the most stylish place, I get called out for dressing up when I wear jeans because most people wear joggers.

Any ideas on how to form a consistent sense of style?
I know it sounds idiotic but mine really is not consistent.
Thanks!

Hi there,

It seems as if you already kind of know your own problem. If you aren't taking the risks to experiment you might not ever truly find what works for you and what expresses you. Seeing as how you live in rural Ireland I understand it would be hard to do this, but you live a lot closer to Savile Row than I. If you're looking to start a formal or professional closet I would visit that area of London -- not necessarily to shop, but to observe. Look, feel, and most importantly, talk with those men and women who have dedicated their lives to that line of work.

Find an icon, if you haven't already, who dresses in a way that you wish you could compete with. For example I like David Coggins very much and I respect Jort Kelder a good bit for his take on menswear. Just look a little things they do in their outfit and try to gear your shopping habits and tailoring habits in that direction. You don't need to dress exactly like them, just use them as guidelines and express yourself through that.

I can also recommend some shops that are fantastic for starting out. They are not the BEST quality, but they will provide the styles that Tom Ford or Brunello Cucinelli exemplifies at a much lower price point so that you may experiment a few looks before splurging on the good stuff.

For suiting and casual, SuitSupply as they do follow some very classic styling sometimes and (clearly) copy a lot of what Brunello and TF and Zegna do but at a much lower price.
For shoes, Meermin Mallorca and Cobbler Union (not sure if CU ships to your area) as they also provide classic styling that you can experiment with without going broke.

Lastly, I would just like to state that style is usually ever-evolving. Most men (even these ultra-stylish ones) spend their entire life still not fully happy with their wardrobe because as you learn more, you change. I try to continue to perfect my wardrobe but I also try to always remember that I will never be finished. Like all art, nothing is ever good enough.

Best of luck,
J

seanf999

Reaction score
**** consistency. Have fun with what you like and be a style chameleon if that's what happens.
It would be great if I had the money to do it..
I know a couple of celebs who can do it but they have stylists and the money to wear full Rick Owens one day and then Tom Ford and Thom Browne the next..

jeremyleediaz

Reaction score
OP do you have any photos of specific outfits that you feel are contradicting in style that you wear? Would help if you're looking for some guidance.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re 20. Your style will change 10 times in the next 20 years. Figure out who you are and then dress accordingly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads