1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My skin on my face and body are so dry, what to do?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Swagged, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Swagged

Swagged Well-Known Member

I know I have combination skin. My t-zone can get oily. I have white heads only around the bottom edges of my nose, but mainly get pimples on my forehead or the sides by my ears...but my cheeks are dry.

For the past few months I've been trying to go natural in an attempt to avoid "bad" ingredients in some of my past products. I, religiously, check every product I'm about to use up against cosmeticdatabase.com.

My biggest ingredient concern is petrolatum based on this reason to avoid it: "Petrolatum
    or petroleum jelly - Highly occlusive, clogs pores and causes acne, a suspected carcinogen. Petroleum by-products can pass through the brain barrier and cause ADD/dyslexia symptoms." The next ingredient I try to avoid is parabens, based on a number of reasons I read to avoid it.

In an attempt to go natural for bar soaps I've use/used:

1. Aubrey organic bar soaps, in particular, the Rosa Mosqueta, Meals & Herbs exfoliating (current one in use), and the calaguala treatment bar soaps, all of which dried my skin on both my face and body out. Each bar is $6+ dollars).

2. Dr. Bronners mild baby bar soap (made my nipples sensitive to where it burned when using, so I stopped using this.)

3. Earth mama Angel baby shampoo and body wash (dried both my face and body out.).

4. Shea moisture head to toe baby wash (contains Japanese honeysuckle which is a natural paraben, and that can't be good.)

As for moisturizers:

1. Aveeno daily moisture lotion. (Problem it contains petrolatum which clogs the pores especially on my face and back).

I'm at my wits end, what do I do? Naturals isn't working.

Dove was the only soap that never dried me out, but the ingredients are bad and it clogs my pores, too.

After searching and reading: I may use baking soda or a washcloth w. a face wash to exfoliate my face, or a salicylic acid bar soap or face wash to exfoliate, once a week. I'm switching to body washes.

I still don't have a a particular face wash, or a moisturizer. I'm so dry.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

It sounds like you really get caught up psuedo-science. Please stop reading cosmeticdatabase.com. There is no reason to limit yourself to "all natural" products, whatever that even means. Could it be because of the dreaded "toxins?" Lot's a natural products are horrible for your skin.

Parabens are completely safe. So safe they are used in food. You probably consume more parabens in a small soy latte than you do using skincare products over the course of a whole year.

Dove can't clog pores because it's non-comedogenic. Why are the ingredient's bad?

Petroleum causes cancer?

Read about parabens here, then go to page 6 for petroleum. All of this was written by an actual scientist: http://www.cosmeticsandtoiletries.com/regulatory/region/northamerica/104017609.html?page=5

3. Swagged

Swagged Well-Known Member

You're right. I've wasted a good year of my young life (25) in this propaganda.

4. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

get a humidifier? heat dries out the house in winter.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

yep, this will help a lot.

6. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

You might want to try castor oil or the oil cleansing method. It has worked well for many to balance skin.

no.

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Also try dietary measures, like fish oil and drinking more water.