• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My shoe wardrobe...too many? Should I pair down?

chatty

Reaction score
Hello all,

So over the years, I've lived very frugally in all aspects of my life in order to not be so frugal with my shoe wardrobe (I don't want to say collection quite yet).

But as I reflect, I am pretty young (24) and everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for having the # of dress shoes I do. Also, finding it hard to wear all of them consistently.

So I've been toying with the idea of pairing down my wardrobe. Maybe give some to relatives or sell on the forums / ebay. Wanted to get people's thoughts on whether it's worthwhile to do that and if so, what would they sell? I just feel sometimes that the shoes are going to waste because they aren't getting enough use.

Some shoes I feel are a little duplicative, so maybe it's drop a few and replace with something else.

If I were to add to this list, what do people think I should consider? I want to try Vass at some point and been pretty positive about my St. Crispin.

Here's what I got. I only like black dress shoes, so no browns. Brand then model or type of shoe when I don't know the model name. List is in no particular order.

1. John Lobb - Wroxham
2. John Lobb - Vale
3. John Lobb - City
4. G&G - Mitchell
5. G&G - Rothschild
6. G&G - Wiltshire
7. Edward Green - Chelsea
8. Edward Green - Ladbrooke
9. Berluti - Club 3 eyelet wholecut
10. Aubercy - Wholecut with some brogueing
11. JM Weston - Split toe blucher
12. Corthay - Arca
13. Allen Edmond - Delray (split toe blucher)
14. Alden - Shell cordovan penny loafers
15. C&J - Penny loafers
16. Grenson for Paul Stuart - Single buckle monk strap
17. St. Crispin - Model 523 on Chiselled last
18. Ferragamo - Cancun (standard buckle moccasin loafer)
19. Gucci - Horsebit buckle loafer
20. Bruno Magli - loafer (sentimental value, will keep forever)
21. Church's - Brogue balmoral captoe, high polish finish (kinda like patent leather, but not)
22. Lidfort - Double monk strap cap toe, high polish finish (kinda like patent leather, but not)
23. A. Testoni - Wingtip brogue loafers with side gussets
24. A. Testoni - bicycle toe bluchers
25. Santoni - moccasin
26. Santoni - Double sole goodyear welted blucher
27. Bally - Wingtip brogue bluchers
28. Tanino Crisci - Captoe bluchers

What I was considering letting go were

1. Berluti and Aubercy (duplicative to EG Ladbrooke)
2. JL City (duplicative to EG Chelsea)
3. Gucci (duplicative to Ferragamo)
4. Bally / Santoni - just don't wear them much

I know people like to see pics on the forums, but I don't know how to post them. So if someone wants to give me instructions, would be glad to share pics.

Thoughts? This too many shoes?

ABALO

Reaction score
Nice and impressive collection for a 24 year-old boy... I would keep the first 12 pairs and sell the balance

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too many shoes,
just rite.
Keep best fit shoes,
give rest away.
No neeed for pictures.

If I were to add to this list, what do people think I should consider?
You must decide yourself that queston,
no one can help on that exept you.
Get something that fit good.

Leather man

Reaction score
There are some very nice shoes there - congratulations, you have good taste!

I honestly do not think your collection is too big. I think if you sell some you'll end up wishing you hadn't and you'll miss them.

When my collection was about the size of yours I felt it was a good amount - a shoe for most occasions and outfits. Mine has now grown considerably and I would advise you to stay at 26 pairs. But downsize? No.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
24 yo? Wayne, is that you? Impressive collection of shoes. Life is good when you're playing in the premier league.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be the SFer with the most black shoes* * After aportnoy

ceaton

Reaction score
Outside of patent black shoes for a tuxedo, and maybe some summer shoes, I'd suggest you keep track of what you wear in a month and then consider if you want to keep any pair that you don't get around to wearing.

.... and then replace them with other shoes
smile.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chatty
So I've been toying with the idea of pairing down my wardrobe.
Is this a terrible shoe pun or just terrible spelling?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personal view - even if I didn't wear brown shoes, I don't think I'd need any more than a dozen pairs of black shoes. I'd cut down your collection by selling off two types of shoe - the lower-end pairs (Bally, Ferragamo, Church's etc) and some of the higher-end pairs with excellent residuals (EG, Lobb, perhaps G&G).

That said, its clear you have a passion for shoes - that's demonstrated by your sacrifices elsewhere to afford them, and by the way you speak of not having a collection yet. Given this, I don't have any constructive suggestions on how else you might spend the money you liquidate by selling the shoes. If that's the case, remove the duplicates, remove the stuff you rarely wear, and reinvest in more pairs that give you some diversity. I wouldn't give shoes away, because unless you can easily get them back (and the recipient will take care of them) you'll regret it.

As far as what to add, you have more experience with brands than me - I'd certainly experiment with adding a pair of Vass. Stylistically you seem to have most bases covered. Perhaps you could try bespoke - it seems a fairly intuitive step.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
drop 24.

the rest is fine.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^nonsense. Everyone has to have a bicycle toe shoe to remind you how much better your other shoes look.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
^nonsense. Everyone has to have a bicycle toe shoe to remind you how much better your other shoes look.

lol8[1].gif

Omega Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth

Damn, I have a two AE Hillcrests!

To the OP, you have an impressive collection of black shoes. I would go along with another forum member and suggest you to keep the first 12 and sell the rest. You should really try to sample different colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads