1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My shoe dilemma

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by enginerd917, Nov 22, 2009.

1. enginerd917

enginerd917 Senior member

I'm very new to all of this, and have done a fair bit of reading but I still can't wrap my head around shoes and casual wear. I don't own a suit yet, so I generally wear chinos or various wool/cotton trousers (I like the Express "Producer" line, being a poor college student lol), generally with a navy blazer for more formal occasions. I'm trying to find my next shoe and I'm just unsure what to get, they should probably be able to be worn with a navy suit since I will be purchasing one within the next 6 months; as well as chinos/jeans until then. Brown/Burgundy/Oxblood monk strap Brown/Burgundy/Oxblood loafer (tassel/penny/etc..) Brown/Burgundy/Oxblood cap toe Brown/Burgundy/Oxblood wing tip Thanks for any advice! My very humble shoe collection consists of these: Nunn Bush - dark reddish brown. These were purchased before I found this forum [​IMG] [​IMG] Aldo Davis - "Bone" suede, much more gray than the pictures show. Just a bit impractical for all of the rain we get. [​IMG] Banana Republic - Nantucket driving loafer. Soles don't stand up well to much walking, but they were very cheap. [​IMG]

2. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

None of those are appropriate with a suit. None, in fact, are even close to appropriate.

3. enginerd917

Yea I know! Thats why I need to find my next pair of shoes, I figured I'dpost what I already have. These shoes need to fill a casual/suit gap I guess, since they won't be purely casual nor formal.

Thanks for responding though!

4. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Brown cap toes would probably be the best choice.

5. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Oxford oxblood wingtips will be fine with a navy suit, and wearable with jeans (because they are more casual than captoes).

6. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

ah!! That makes sense, sorry. What about a plain toe monkstrap or a pair of burgondy longwings?

7. enginerd917

Thank you for the suggestions! I guess it's between monk straps and wingtips, kind of my top choices anyways.

8. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

What is your budget for the shoes (if any)?

11. enginerd917

I'd like to spend <$185, maybe get lucky and score something in b&s or ebay for even less.

12. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I'd like to spend <$185, maybe get lucky and score something in b&s or ebay for even less.

At that price, your best bet is Allen Edmonds Ebay store, and I second the burgundy wingtips to cover your various needs. You might want to look at Loake as well.