My shoe choice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Barry, Oct 20, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

^I wasn't intending to suggest you buy shoes just like the ones pictured, but only to say that with a little searching you can find nice shoes at a good price that will have a little more stylistic flair and that won't provoke the ire of shoe-fanatics the world over. Nevertheless, style doesn't seem to be of particular interest to you.

Overall, this forum is mostly for guys who want shoes that do considerably more than give them comfort and padding. We don't just view shoes as necessary evils to keep our feet from developing blisters. It's something of an obsession; on these pages you'll see some shoes that cost as much as a decent used car or that required their buyers to travel thousands of miles and spend weeks/months in preparation... they may not be as "comfortable" or as supportive as Dr. Scholls orthopedics... but that's not the point.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

If you are stuck on the style of shoes you have posted, maybe you could look at Mephisto. They have a good rep for comfort and durability.

3. Barry

Barry Active Member

It's weird that no clothing forum wants to cover everything. There's one for sophisticated Brits, there's one for women, and there's this one. Some others looked pretty bad. I posted the picture on an unrelated forum and got one response saying they may be OK but they were dull and old manish.

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

It's weird that no clothing forum wants to cover everything. .
    Not really; forums are places of entertainment for users who want to get away from the boring humdrum of the everyday. Walking through my office/department at work and I can see fifteen shoes just like the ones you bought. When I've got free time and want to get away from the monotony, why would I want to log on just to talk about yet MORE of the same thing that I get to see in everyday life. It would be like logging onto an automobile aficianado website to talk about a Honda Civic. No thanks... it's much more fun to log on and talk about/see shoes made from sea-turtle skin, or share pics of our own with others who will understand/appreciate them. When I wear some of my more exotic shoes, all that my colleagues at work might say is, "Wow... what odd shoes. You spent HOW MUCH on them???"

5. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

... In fact, those were the only two type shoes shown on the mannequins in Kohl's that were wearing chinos. I think the people whose job it is to dress the mannequins know more about fashion than most of you.

I've read plenty of people's comments on other forums about Kohl's clothing and shoes, Chaps in particular, and I have no problem buying their products based on what I read.

Stop for a second and think, Barry. Why would you think that someone who makes $15 an hour to dress a mannequin with the clothes that Kohls sells knows more about fashion than people whose consuming interest it is? That person is involved in the fashion business in the same way that the fryer at McDonalds is involved in the food business. Stop chumming the water.

6. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Senior member

Five bucks says Barry is a republican.

7. ken

ken Banned by Request

I hope the OP can stick reading this thread long enough to get the advice he wants and not be put off by some of the unwarrented and juvenile sniping at him.

Heh... you haven't been reading the thread if you think they're unwarranted.

Barry, your shoes are cool. Satisfied now?

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I'm going to move this into Men's Clothing so the people there can ... have a shot at ... helping you.

Gee. You're all heart j. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm sure you'll be delightfully happy wearing your new shoes Barry.

They're ugly shoes in my eyes, but why should you care about that? In fact, I'm sure you don't. I don't even really know why you bothered to post here as a cursory browsing would surely have told you we were unlikely to give you a standing ovation. Actually I can guess why you're posting here and I'm just feeding you, but hey... [​IMG]

Can we end this pointless thread now?

9. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

I think the shoes are beautiful and would really set off any button down short sleeve shirt you feel like wearing. Also, white athetic socks for added comfort.

10. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

Am I the only here that thinks "Barry" is putting everyone on? Just throwing it out there...

11. Barry

Barry Active Member

Kohls sells a lot of stuff and I figured they'd hire experts to decide how to dress the mannequins. There could be just a few guys in a central location who keep track of the trends in different areas and choose the clothing. The people who put on the clothing may be low paid, but they may not make fashion decisions. Or maybe not. Anyone know how it works in stores like that?

I've read people's comments about "the clothes that Kohls sells" and they're not bad. It's not just me.

Wearing something non-eye catching and typical for city streets is basically what I want. I just have a few extra rules, but they're enough so that I only found that one pair that I kind of liked after shopping about seven stores including Macys (Herald Square), Sears, Kohls, Sketchers, and Foot Locker - all highly successful chain stores that sell typical clothing for the average person. The rules are under $100, achilles padding, not too dressy, not too casual, and laces. I tend to dislike textured leather. Distressed leather may be OK, but not when the toe is a different shade. That makes me worry that people may think it's worn or I didn't polish it properly. I had other desires, like no leather sole but I put them aside because it was getting hard to find anything.

No, I think you're a sarcastic asshole now. Quote something I said before the sniping started that you think warrants it.

"Not cool" or "ugly" is what I wanted, in addition to good things, if any. Saying the stitching is fake when you don't know, saying stitching is necessary for quality, saying the leather isn't good just because of the cost, and telling me to pay more money and I'll get something better shows you don't know what you're talking about.

There are sneaker and T-shirt threads here, and a streetwear and denim section. I live in New York City and I know what streetwear looks like. It looks like a little bit of everything, but mostly NOT what you people are suggesting for me.

12. why

why Senior member

Aren't those ugly as sin shoes standard moccasins? They're really popular, you know, and have been for a long time. But I wouldn't buy them either.

What does popularity have to do with aesthetics? Stop confusing style and trends.

People wear Crocs. There, I win. [​IMG]

13. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

... The rules are under $100, achilles padding, not too dressy, not too casual, and laces.

To get away from all the noise and to answer your real question: Go to zappos.com, select men / comfort / oxford, sort by price low to high, and find the shoe you like. There's a selection of 100 shoes in the price range $70 to $100, with names that gain a little grudging respect - Hush Puppies and Rockport, for example. Try looking at the $100+ range to see if you're going to get something you might like more. Plus zappos has reviews of the shoes by people who bought them; it doesn't seem like you're going to get that here.

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/7220006...e/1/bar/1.html

In fact, what about these:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/17340525/c/69773.html

And apropos of nothing, the Red Sox are going to the World Series.

14. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

The shoes are ugly, no more excuses.[​IMG]

15. Barry

Barry Active Member

I went through hundreds of shoes on that or a similar website a month or two ago. I liked about two, then I changed my mind. Several Timberland shoes come really close to what I want. I might have bought one I once saw, but I don't see it on the website and I didn't bookmark it.

But I may have found something I like. Doc Marten Gibson 8B757X015. So now you have it confirmed that I want the simple, casual look.