• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My second pair of nice shoes...Tricker's from STP

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I took full advantage of the STP sale and scored a couple pair of shoes (also my first pair of quality shoes, never had more then Florsheims and Doc Martens before this). The first are the AE Stockbridge in chile. I got those for about $125 shipped using a 20% off coupon. Great shoes for the money, I've been wearing them a lot lately.

These are my second pair of quality shoes, the Tricker's brogued blucher which I got for about $238 shipped using a 30% off code I found later. What are everyones thoughts on Tricker's in general and these in particular? I plan to wear them mostly with jeans and khakis. The quality seems very good to me, but I don't have much to compare them to I'm afraid. Also, you can see some creasing in the second picture right below the lace holes. They came this way, I think from being such a tight fit in the box. Is this normal? Had I paid full price I'd probably be a little upset about it, but considering the price I did pay I'm thinking I'll just overlook it. Thoughts, oppinions???

dsc1670tr7.jpg

dsc1671ho9.jpg

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip overdog. Is any leather conditioner good or is there a specific one I should look for?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned Crockett & Jones, Edward Green etc and I can honestly say Trickers does their thing as good as anyone out there. Their leathers are top notch (if you select the calf) and their construction really is flawless. No wonder some of the highest line designers contract with them, Paul Smith, Thom Browne, Beams Tokyo, etc. They've done a great job of keeping their standards high without diluting their brand, like Grenson or Loake. They remain true to their English Country roots.

As far as care, just buy a dark brown polish like Lincoln, and a conditioner. Polish occasionally, don't overdo it. It will look like this

trickers2.jpg

overdog

Reaction score
Correction: leather conditioner will make cracking less noticeable. I'm not sure how much it will do for creasing. Since they were from STP, I wouldn't be surprised if they had been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

Either way, it is good practice to condition your shoes when you first get them. Lexol has been highly recommended on this forum. Personally, I just use the Kiwi leather conditioner.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's been some discussion of these here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ht=tricker%27s

I ordered a couple of pairs myself, because I was uncertain of the sizing. Having read the above thread after ordering, I was braced for the worst. I've never seen the Corniche collection in person, and so I was worried the shoes would be shoddy corrected grain. But the ones I received were nice, and not at all plasticky. This makes me wonder if the Corniche collection is of better quality than I anticipated, or if these were made to a higher standard for another retailer.

I tried to get some info out of STP but didn't have much luck. They said the suggested retail price of $800 was provided by the vendor -- Tricker's itself. That makes me think these had to have been made as something other than the regular Corniche collection. Or maybe Tricker's just likes to inflate its prices for the American market.

Odd, though, that they should end up at STP, don't you think? It seems somewhat logical that these would have been made for a U.S. retailer. But who knows? These do lack the prominent metal eyelets in the Country collection. Maybe they are straight from the Corniche collection, but STP's price, with coupon, is still less than Pediwear's.

Anyway, my impression of these is that they're nice, sturdy shoes for the money. A bit of classic British style at a relatively affordable price. Hopefully, they'll hold up like the tanks they resemble. And just think, you saved $1,000 over the price you'd have paid from Thom Browne.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Tricker's even uses corrected grain unless it's for something like a military hishine boot. I think they get confused in the US with brands like Loake just because they both appear on Pediwear. but they really are a cut or two above Loake.

I would have definitely gotten a pair if I didn't already own them. $220-ish is unheard of in the US. Retail isnt really $800 but $450-$500 retail is certainly plausible.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tarmac- Thanks for the info and the pic of those boots, I love those boots and hope to pick up a pair someday myself. Maybe I can finally retire my 10 year old pair of Doc's!

DocHolliday- Thanks for the info and the link, that was very informative. It's good to hear an oppinion of the quality from someone who has more experience then myself.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I don't think Tricker's even uses corrected grain unless it's for something like a military hishine boot. I think they get confused in the US with brands like Loake just because they both appear on Pediwear. but they really are a cut or two above Loake.

This is good to hear. I have to wonder, though, why the Corniche collection is so much less expensive than the Country collection. Do you have any idea?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This is good to hear. I have to wonder, though, why the Corniche collection is so much less expensive than the Country collection. Do you have any idea?

My guess is that as purveyors of true english country shoes, they have a line which is meant to be bombproof thicker, tougher, waxy leather which is the corniche line, also happens to be cheaper as it just isn't dress shoe quality. As you can see there are only 4 models in that line and nothing dressy. You could call it a low level line but it makes up only about 4 out of what 50 models. All their other shoes are just superb. It would be funny if someone got a pair of Tricker's full-on dress shoe oxfords and asked SF to guess the maker from pics. I think many of us would get it wrong.

Doc did you get a tan pair? I would love to see pics

DMcG

Reaction score
Good looking shoes. I wish I had pulled the trigger faster. By the time I decided that I wanted them they didn't have my size left.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
These are my second pair of quality shoes, the Tricker's brogued blucher which I got for about $238 shipped using a 30% off code I found later.

What code did you use for 30% off? Thanks.

SantaCruzGuy

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, those DO look nice. Good Job.
Question: my understanding is that Balmorals are "dressier" than Bluchers, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The soles on those Tricker's are rubber?
Would you folks be more inclined to use those on rainy days, or days where you're going to be standing a lot, etc?
Would it be a back up shoe or a primary shoe? I know some of you guys have bazillions of shoes, so what's your strategy?
The reason I ask this is because I want a pair of shell cordovan Alden wing tip bluchers in that whiskey color, & I've seen them with something called a "commando" sole. I look at those "commando" soles thinking, yes they do look practical but is it better to play it safe as I'm starting out & get an exposed leather sole?

You people are perverting my mind with your shoe Appreciation for sure.
I just picked up a pair of second hand Church's black fully brogued wing-tip bals for $35 bucks (they look pre 89' & in nice shape). I can't afford $600 for anything right now.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it was originally posted on this forum but not longer works. It wasn't the typical 4 digit code, I had to copy and paste a link and fill in my email address in a certain spot. Not sure why it worked or where it came from, but I did it and it worked. Wish I could be of more help, sorry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads