My search for a v-neck sweater...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by michaeljkrell, Mar 14, 2007.

1. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

2. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. I did see that the other day, but they are sold out in size small for all the colors...

3. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

PC has a nice one in in their summer line that might work. Only problems are that it is not a very dark grety and it's 130 euros.

4. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

try this and just stick it in the dryer....? It's not quick dark grey... and the heat may not shrink it... but has a good chance of ruining it.... damn.

sorry, scraping the bottom of the barrel here...

5. michaeljkrell

I tried that with a merio wool neck, but the sleeves shurnk too much. BR seems to fit pretty boxy too...

6. alterion

alterion Senior member

I feel your pain michael, for reference i had a look around in london and these were my results: Uniqlo: merino wool- was too itchy cotton-cashmere- uber elasticated cuffs made my wrists look like twigs (especially without a watch on) cashmere- expensive and dry-clean only Comme des garcons £150 [​IMG] Gap no cotton/cashmere ones left in medium, merino wool was itchy Muji merino wool itchy again cotton/cashmere was very nice but didn't come in black ( at least not in the carnaby st store) Dior I didn't even look at the price tag as the white t-shirt next to it was £150 So in summary it seems the world sucks for simple black sweaters, or maybe i'm just too picky [​IMG]

7. Empire

Empire Senior member

You are all missing the king of knitwear........John Smedley !!

8. alterion

alterion Senior member

I found some nice john smedly ones as well actually forgot to mention those, but no black in the shop i was in [​IMG]

9. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

Ok, I have posted this in the buying and selling forum here and on the other sf, but I need a lightweight v-neck sweater to wear over a dress shirt and tie. I am having no luck whatsoever finding one. I don't want to spend $50 or $60 on a gap v-neck, and I have never had a banana republic sweater fit me well.

I was told that H&M's v-neck's quality is not good. I guess Uniqlo makes some nice ones, but they are only in new york.

I would prefer merino wool in dark gray or navy blue...

I'm generally not crazy about buying from the gap at retail prices, but after looking for a decent V-neck for awhile, I ended up buying one of their dark grey cotton ones at like $49. Not a bad sweater; I still need to find another decent one though, maybe in a dark red.

10. braidkid

braidkid Senior member

the main problem with v-necks from Gap, BR, and others mentioned in this thread are that they are not true v-necks but rather crew necks with a v shape. Good luck trying to pull off a tie under that v-neck that goes maybe a couple inchs lower than a crew neck.

I've been trying to find a lower cut v-neck for ages. I did buy a grey APC with slightly deeper V. Other than that, aa has a v-neck sweatshirt with a deep v which is refreshing in this society of v shaped crew necks.

11. Babar

Babar Senior member

I was told that H&M's v-neck's quality is not good.

The more expensive ones with the separate "merino wool" label on the inside have pretty good quality ime, and a really good slim fit. Of course, an H&M v-neck will never be as good as an Helmut Lang (I wish I had stockpiled more of those when I had the chance), but they've served me very well for those occations where I don't want to risk my more expensive stuff. I had to size down one though. I'm 187cm/72kg (about 6'2"/158lbs), and a small fits me perfectly.

12. Xavier

Xavier Member

The more expensive ones with the separate "merino wool" label on the inside have pretty good quality ime, and a really good slim fit. Of course, an H&M v-neck will never be as good as an Helmut Lang (I wish I had stockpiled more of those when I had the chance), but they've served me very well for those occations where I don't want to risk my more expensive stuff. I had to size down one though. I'm 187cm/72kg (about 6'2"/158lbs), and a small fits me perfectly.

Like Babar, I'm quite happy with their "more expensive" (they retail for about $50 in my country) merino wool sweaters with two separate tags inside.
    While the quality might not be comparable to merino wool sweaters from top brands (I won't say anything about that point as I don't own any), the ones I own are still in really nice condition after a couple washes. As for the fit, that's what made me purchase them: it's a really great slim fit. If that helps, I wear American Apparel clothes in size small and that's the size in which I purchased my H&M sweaters too. If you'd like any measurements, feel free to ask !

13. michaeljkrell

Could you give me the chest, sleeve and length measurements?

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

Mike I haven't read the entire thread but why not apc? Just order direct off the site no tax for you and shipping is only 9 bux. APC sweaters fit spectacular, much better than my HM shit. I'm a huge fan of apc.

15. GoodHustle

GoodHustle Member

Could you give me the chest, sleeve and length measurements?

How about J. Lindeberg? I've got a size small, grey v-neck from them that fits very well. The chest is approximately 36", and the sleeve length from the top of the shoulder is 26".