• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My review of J Crew suits (they suck)

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Prior to writing this, I wanted to let you all know. I love J Crew products, I think their stuff manage to be trendy, well priced, high quality and they endorsements by Michelle Obama.

A few months ago I was in dire need of a suit. After reading the reviews of some style forum posters and seeing the suit in pictures I was sure that the J Crew Ludlow was the perfect suit for me.

A few days later I received the suit and tried it on right away. I generally consider the critics on this forum to be harsh, akin to my girlfriend during her 'time of the month'. However, the critics were spot on with this suit. It was 'Loro Piana wool' but it felt more like the 'new material' used for H and M Blazers. It was hella light. Given that the suit had cost just under the 500 mark, I quickly put it back in the box and paid return shipping from canada (almost 50) and sent the monstrosity right back right back to the miscreants in Virginia responsible for creating it.

If you are thinking about it, I say pay a bit more and get an e-haberdasher suit.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You really didn't give it a review besides you stating your opinion. To make your post worthwhile why don't you go into some specifics? I could tell you more about that suit at this point and I have never even tried one on.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides the fact it was "hella light," what other basis did you have for returning the suit? Was the fit and styling (button configuration, lapel width, shoulder structure, etc.) off? I don't know what other PMS-like criticism the JCrew suit got here, but seeing that it is spring in the U.S., quite possible you ordered a more spring/summer weight suit, hence the lightness of the material.

But I wouldn't doubt that the overall construction was not up to snuff.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, he did comment on the quality of the fabric.

This is something I have been wondering about now that J.Crew is trying to stamp name brands on their fabric (Thomas Mason line shirts, Loro Piana wool suits, etc)...are they using their buying power to talk the fabric makers into selling them an inferior product?

Are the fabric makers in trouble and willing to sully their brand a little bit in exchange for a mid-recession cash infusion?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
I generally consider the critics on this forum to be harsh, akin to my girlfriend during her 'time of the month'.

Quoted.

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
You really didn't give it a review besides you stating your opinion. To make your post worthwhile why don't you go into some specifics? I could tell you more about that suit at this point and I have never even tried one on.

My apologies, I would have given more of a critique on the suit, but I was too distracted by the sh!tty material.

The fit, I found the shoulders were abit broad. For a 36r, the shoulders were probably sitting about 18 inches apart, the suppression was too far in. It was a slim fit that fit me horribly so I couldn't give my honest opinion on the rest of the suit.

I've tried Hugo boss suits, even club monaco suits, and they both felt higher quality then the J Crew Ludlow.

Put it this way

Hugo Boss > Club Monaco > > > > > J Crew Ludlow

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Well, he did comment on the quality of the fabric.

This is something I have been wondering about now that J.Crew is trying to stamp name brands on their fabric (Thomas Mason line shirts, Loro Piana wool suits, etc)...are they using their buying power to talk the fabric makers into selling them an inferior product?

Are the fabric makers in trouble and willing to sully their brand a little bit in exchange for a mid-recession cash infusion?

My personal impression is that these heavily touted fabrics are overrated. Sure, they're better than mass-market stuff, but there is no benefit that reconciles with the exponentially higher price. Granted, Loro Piana offers a wide range of products too, and J. Crew could just be ordering the cheapest in bulk and pairing it with anemic construction. Tailoring > > > > > materials.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something from J Crew is dissapointing. Groundbreaking.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what exactly is wrong with light fabrics? Brioni, Attolini, Kiton, etc use light fabrics and besides the price point they are excellent suits.

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Which Ludlow, b/c there are several different cuts/styles.

I tried on this one once and was actually pleasantly surprised at how well it fit OTR. It is a dual vent, 2B suit.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...1707/11707.jsp

Ludlow also comes in the 3B, center vent variety as seen here. I tried this one on once and the fit was a bit different, imo.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6854/16854.jsp

There are 2-3 other styles of Ludlow. Can you be more specific which style you bought?

As I stated in my original post it was the Piana Ludlow I was referring to not the worsted wool suit that you have posted (as it does not contain Loro Piana wool). I didn't expect a difference in QUALITY between the 2 and 3 button suit. * For the record it was a 2 button suit.

Originally Posted by jeff13007
what exactly is wrong with light fabrics? Brioni, Attolini, Kiton, etc use light fabrics and besides the price point they are excellent suits.

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i actually like light weighted suits. sportcoats i like heavy flannel maybe , but not suits.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...1351/21351.jsp

Well, according to J Crew - "Our signature suiting, meticulously crafted from four-season world-class wool fabric by Loro Piana. Bespoke-inspired details include intricate pickstitching along the lapels and interior and luxurious Bemberg lining"

I see that some of you guys apparently prefer 'lighter suits' but I assume that a 4 season world class wool would feel like it could be worn during 4 seasons, across the world. That's summer, spring, winter and fall (admittedly, not in that particular order)

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
I love J Crew products, I think their stuff manage to be trendy
This is your first problem.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think anything from JCrew AT FULL RETAIL is going to disappoint (then again, there are just a few brands that won't do that), but at sale prices and B&S prices their suits and jackets are serviceable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads