• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My recent Carl Friedrik experience...

fylestorum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I felt that I should share a recent experience I had with Carl Friedrik when attempting to purchase a briefcase and a weekender with our community.

Firstly, while Carl Friedrik is not considered a top tier leather company on this forum, they do offer a beautiful product that uses quality materials.This is why I decided to take the plunge during Covid and invest in the Palissy 25-hour briefcase, as it was big enough to fit a 2020 MacBook Pro. I received it ahead of schedule. During the unboxing, I immediacy noticed worn leather and messy stitching along the loops where the luggage strap would be attached. I was shocked to see this on a preorder item. It looked like it had been a sample that they shipped out to me after being on display.

I decided to return the item as it did not seem like a new item of premium quality control standards. Carl Friedrik refunded my money except for the shipping costs, despite the poor condition of the item being their own fault.

I spoke with customer service and they assured me that the Slim Palissy Briefcase (different than the 25 hour model) had been modified in its design recently to fit the 16” MacBook Pro, and that they could make a note for the factory to be sure to send me one of their new modified copies.

So I went ahead and purchased that model and specified three times in our correspondences to be sure to send me the new version to fit my laptop. I also ordered their Palissy weekend bag, with faith that the quality control problems with the 25 hour bag were a fluke. So now I’m spending even more money with the company than I initially did, and am in constant contact with customer service. I asked them to specifically check the items for quality prior to sending, as making returns to DHL are a real pain. They agreed.

I received my new items promptly in the mail. I was excited to unbox them. First I opened the Slim Palissy Briefcase, and immediately noticed that my 2020 16” MacBook Pro did not come close to fitting in the bag. It was clear that they didn’t send me the new version despite my exhaustive reminders to customer service. Disappointed, I moved onto the Palissy Weekend Bag. I removed it from its dust bag, and immediately saw two holes punched into the leather on either side of the zipper on the top of the bag! They were in near perfect alignment to one another that I had to take a closer look to be sure it wasn’t some odd design element. Well it turned out to clearly have been two mistaken hole made by the sewing machine when stitching the zipper into the leather. I was shocked that this could get passed quality control! there were also loose black threads inside the bag in one of the corners. This itembarely would pass for an item you’d find at an outlet.

Needless to say, I was rather upset that I spent over $1000 with them and got the wrong briefcase and a weekend bag with holes in it. This is all after spending another $600+ on the first bag that had creased up leather and iffy stitching right out of the box.
After customer service acknowledged their mistakes and poor quality control, they offered to send me one of their low-priced wallets as a consolation. They also indirectly expressed that perhaps they had jumped the gun in promising me a modified briefcase design and that the briefcase is still unavailable and that it would become available in a couple of months. With great politeness, I thanked them, but told them that this was unacceptable and that I did not need a wallet. I just wanted what I paid for, and that at this price point, I expected a pristine item. They have since stopped communicating.

No real effort was made to immediately send out a pristine replacement item without my requesting active involvement. Unfortunately Carl Friedrik is trying to play the part of a luxury brand without any of the stringent standards of quality or service. They seem be trying to rely on YouTube marketing and sponsored reviews on the internet to build a reputation. It’s too bad, but they’re just not ready for showtime.

I can share photos on request. I hope this helps inform your purchases.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I felt that I should share a recent experience I had with Carl Friedrik when attempting to purchase a briefcase and a weekender with our community.

Firstly, while Carl Friedrik is not considered a top tier leather company on this forum, they do offer a beautiful product that uses quality materials.This is why I decided to take the plunge during Covid and invest in the Palissy 25-hour briefcase, as it was big enough to fit a 2020 MacBook Pro. I received it ahead of schedule. During the unboxing, I immediacy noticed worn leather and messy stitching along the loops where the luggage strap would be attached. I was shocked to see this on a preorder item. It looked like it had been a sample that they shipped out to me after being on display.

I decided to return the item as it did not seem like a new item of premium quality control standards. Carl Friedrik refunded my money except for the shipping costs, despite the poor condition of the item being their own fault.

I spoke with customer service and they assured me that the Slim Palissy Briefcase (different than the 25 hour model) had been modified in its design recently to fit the 16” MacBook Pro, and that they could make a note for the factory to be sure to send me one of their new modified copies.

So I went ahead and purchased that model and specified three times in our correspondences to be sure to send me the new version to fit my laptop. I also ordered their Palissy weekend bag, with faith that the quality control problems with the 25 hour bag were a fluke. So now I’m spending even more money with the company than I initially did, and am in constant contact with customer service. I asked them to specifically check the items for quality prior to sending, as making returns to DHL are a real pain. They agreed.

I received my new items promptly in the mail. I was excited to unbox them. First I opened the Slim Palissy Briefcase, and immediately noticed that my 2020 16” MacBook Pro did not come close to fitting in the bag. It was clear that they didn’t send me the new version despite my exhaustive reminders to customer service. Disappointed, I moved onto the Palissy Weekend Bag. I removed it from its dust bag, and immediately saw two holes punched into the leather on either side of the zipper on the top of the bag! They were in near perfect alignment to one another that I had to take a closer look to be sure it wasn’t some odd design element. Well it turned out to clearly have been two mistaken hole made by the sewing machine when stitching the zipper into the leather. I was shocked that this could get passed quality control! there were also loose black threads inside the bag in one of the corners. This itembarely would pass for an item you’d find at an outlet.

Needless to say, I was rather upset that I spent over $1000 with them and got the wrong briefcase and a weekend bag with holes in it. This is all after spending another $600+ on the first bag that had creased up leather and iffy stitching right out of the box.
After customer service acknowledged their mistakes and poor quality control, they offered to send me one of their low-priced wallets as a consolation. They also indirectly expressed that perhaps they had jumped the gun in promising me a modified briefcase design and that the briefcase is still unavailable and that it would become available in a couple of months. With great politeness, I thanked them, but told them that this was unacceptable and that I did not need a wallet. I just wanted what I paid for, and that at this price point, I expected a pristine item. They have since stopped communicating.

No real effort was made to immediately send out a pristine replacement item without my requesting active involvement. Unfortunately Carl Friedrik is trying to play the part of a luxury brand without any of the stringent standards of quality or service. They seem be trying to rely on YouTube marketing and sponsored reviews on the internet to build a reputation. It’s too bad, but they’re just not ready for showtime.

I can share photos on request. I hope this helps inform your purchases.
sorry this happened to you, had many similar experiences with other companies - such a waste of time and energy... have you tried getting a refund through your credit card company? They always came thru for me.

fylestorum

Reaction score
sorry this happened to you, had many similar experiences with other companies - such a waste of time and energy... have you tried getting a refund through your credit card company? They always came thru for me.

To be fair to them, they refunded me the price of the first bag... except they kept $20 for shipping. The second set of two bags is at DHL right now. But I expect them to refund me those in full plus shipping. The shipping charge is rather unscrupulous in my opinion. Also they noted my return as being only for the bag being too large. In reality it was the damage to the leather, which I clearly complained about.

But to be clear, I’m not suggesting that they’re a shady company. They seem to be a decent company with beautifully designed products that doesn’t have their operation together on a level that is on-par with their price point. And that means that I can’t buy from them.

I can overlook a quality control issue from time to time, if the company takes responsibility and immediately ships me a replacement at their own cost to remedy their initial mistake. That didn’t happen here.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had luck with CC except when the amount is in the thousands, then the CC usually sides with the merchant.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had luck with CC except when the amount is in the thousands, then the CC usually sides with the merchant.
Amex but especially Chase sapphire reserve came through for me even in the thousands.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair to them, they refunded me the price of the first bag... except they kept $20 for shipping. The second set of two bags is at DHL right now. But I expect them to refund me those in full plus shipping. The shipping charge is rather unscrupulous in my opinion. Also they noted my return as being only for the bag being too large. In reality it was the damage to the leather, which I clearly complained about.

But to be clear, I’m not suggesting that they’re a shady company. They seem to be a decent company with beautifully designed products that doesn’t have their operation together on a level that is on-par with their price point. And that means that I can’t buy from them.

I can overlook a quality control issue from time to time, if the company takes responsibility and immediately ships me a replacement at their own cost to remedy their initial mistake. That didn’t happen here.
understood- frustrating for sure but for me it's the hassle and stress that's even more annoying

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amex but especially Chase sapphire reserve came through for me even in the thousands.

Lucky. Amex screwed me over for $13k.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics