• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Ralfs just stretched too much

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided that my RRDS just stretched a bit too much, and I didn't love how they sat at the waist. Fortunately, they fit a friend perfectly, and without even having to mention price, he just offered to buy me a pair in another size in trade
biggrin.gif
. Now, however, comes the challenge of deciding what size to buy. My others were a 32 waist, so I have to decide whether to go 31 or 30. I went to a store today and tried the 31, which fit nice and tight, but still closed. There was no 30 in RRDS, but I also tried a 30 and 31 in RRDG. So far, it seems that when put on for the first time, RRDG feels about 1 size smaller than RRDS. I couldn't even really close a RRDG 31, and no prayer of closing the 30. So, the question is, do I buy the smallest size that closes (31) or the largest size that doesn't (30)? I like my jeans fitted, but not painted-on tight, and just want to avoid the waist slipping down behind my belt and the bunching up in the crotch I started getting on the 32. And again, I will be washing these within two weeks to avoid fading.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am planning to get some Nudies at some point, and I am also interested in what you suss out with this. I also wear a 32 normally, and don't know if I should go for a 31 or a 30...

Brian SD

Reaction score
Just get the smallest size that buttons. You don't want moose-knuckle.

Reaction score
Get the smallest size THAT YOU CAN BUTTON.

For future reference, a soak will bring your stretched jeans back to size.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Just get the smallest size that buttons. You don't want moose-knuckle.

Well, more like mose antlers in my case
wink.gif
devil.gif
, lol, but I see your point. I think I'll go with the 31.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's this business with mooses (meese?)?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much do the RR's stretch anyway? How about the Ola's?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the Ola and SJ Dry have the same (if not, very similar) denim, and my RRDG, stretched out atleast 2 sizes, and my SJ less than 1 I would say. The RRDG seems to stretch a LOT. I have experienced this and read this many times too.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I guess it's Canadian for "camel".

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang

Elivs.jpg

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ola will stretch about one inch. And I would recommend going your regular size with Ola, because it's already a tight fit. It's a unisex jeans afterall, if you see what I mean
devil.gif

!luc

swooc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I am planning to get some Nudies at some point, and I am also interested in what you suss out with this. I also wear a 32 normally, and don't know if I should go for a 31 or a 30...

Im normally a 32 also and recently purchased a pair of 31 RRDS. Ive had them for 2 weeks and theyve streched to around 32. The 31 was a good fit for me, not too tite but if i was to purchase another pair i would probably go for a 30 (however i have a feeling a 30 would probably stretch to a 32 also).

It would be good to know what the maximum length the waist would strech to, that way you can adjust accordingly.

Though most of the time you will just have to live with it as i do with the extra inch the jeans has streched to (hopefully the waist would stay where it is at now :p).

Jetta

Reaction score
Just remember, the tighter the jeans, the more they are going to stretch.

If you can squeeze yourself into some 28's over time they are going to stretch out to fit your body and the way you move, that is until you get them wet and they shrink back to where they started, then you wear them and they stretch.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jetta
Just remember, the tighter the jeans, the more they are going to stretch.

If you can squeeze yourself into some 28's over time they are going to stretch out to fit your body and the way you move, that is until you get them wet and they shrink back to where they started, then you wear them and they stretch.

Dude, if he can't button the 30s, then yes, he may over time be able to fit into 29s (or maybe even 28s), but they're going to be denim leggings. Why even buy Ralfs? It won't even be the same pair of jeans anymore--the jean will be proportionally out of wack.

I say go with the 31s. All dry jeans are going to stretch out either to about your hip-size or until they just can't stretch anymore, whichever comes first. The problem is that, in a lot of cuts, if you buy them so small that they're doing the latter, the proportions get all screwed up, and unless you have very skinny legs, they'll be painted on your thighs. And if that's what you want, there are probably better cuts out there that will be a little more forgiving in the crotch area....

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I checked and Revolveclothing just got in a whole new shipment of RRDS in the last day, and using the discount for first timers I just ordered both sizes and will keep only the one that fits better. BTW, worth looking at the site, as they seem to have gotten in quite a bunch in the last day or so. Also, for those who like the RR and BO in a used wash, Barneys in Chicago had them on sale for $89. Unfortnately, no RRUD in my size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads