• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

my possilbe ebay seller issue part 2 - thoughts?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay....

So I buy a pair of shoes on ebay. Advertised as width E. Seller explicity states in the auction "Size marked is a US men's 10.5 E (wide), 44 Euro, but seem to me to be more of a D(medium), they sole measures approximately 4 & 1/2 inches at it's widest". All of my shoes are either 10.5D or 10.5E, so these should work.

They turn to actually be 10.5 E/EEE. Brand is Lloyd & Haig. Extremely wide - I have space on both the inward and the outward sides between the shoe and foot. I think, with 99% confidence that E/EEE means they should have been advertised as EEE (extra wide, like Alden does the width sizing), and that the full sizing should have been disclosed. I inform the seller that they appear to be size 10.5 EEE, not E.

I have talked to the seller, and the seller will take a return, but thinks I should eat the shipping both ways. I think the seller should pay shipping both ways on the basis of his failure to describe the item appropriately; but I would compromise at a full return, seller refunds the shipping to me, while I pay the shipping back to him.

For what it is worth, I'm not really interested in his suggested option, as that means I would spend about $20 shipping and returning a pair of $25 shoes because he couldn't be bothered to give the full size.

Thoughts?

Part 1 was here. I ended up just grinning and bearing it in that case.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unless his 4 1/2 inch measurement was way off, I think the seller is in the right. If there is no labeled size, it is up to the buyer to ask enough questions or to ask for more pics.

In either case, I wouldn't bother with returning, I would put up a listing for $50 BIN and call myself rich.

One other option is for the seller to relist immediately, you ship the shoes to the new buyer when it is completed, seller refunds you in full (but not for the second shipping charge).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
unless his 4 1/2 inch measurement was way off, I think the seller is in the right. If there is no labeled size, it is up to the buyer to ask enough questions or to ask for more pics.

I'm not sure if I was clear - but there is a labelled size on the shoe - 10.5 E/EEE. Seller took the position in the auction that means it is an E; my position is that is an EEE (like Alden does).

I think I have a number of 10.5D's that are in the 4 1/2 inch range - that's not unusual for a rubber soled shoe. I think my AE Leeds are about that in width, will have to check when I get home.

In either case, I wouldn't bother with returning, I would put up a listing for $50 BIN and call myself rich.
I might actually do this.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Come on. You've already wasted more of your life on this than it's worth in money. Try to sell them or move on.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its marked 10.5E/EEE? You say it should be EEE and the seller stated it was E. Was there a pic of the size in the auction?

If he is willing to refund you take it and eat the shipping. The seller is technically correct as it is a 10.5 E

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a firm believer that the seller should pay for shipping if there is a misrepresentation. They should have been advertised as a EEE width. If the seller doesn't know about what they are selling, they shouldn't be selling it. I just bought a really nice sport coat that arrived with ink marks all on the interior, lined in tan. It looks like some little kid got bored and colored on the jacket. Conveniently, this was not included in the auction photos, nor was it mentioned. I am having to fight tooth & nail to get the seller to pay for my shipping. It's not the $5. It's the principle.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
If the seller doesn't know about what they are selling, they shouldn't be selling it.

yeah they should. This is how I get CJ made Polo shoes for $40

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
yeah they should. This is how I get CJ made Polo shoes for $40

it's one thing to not knowing what you're selling, it's quite another thing to get the size wrong. getting the size wrong means the item is quite useless for me.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't going to get your shipping refunded without a fight and spending any more time on $24 shoes is silly. Honestly, if you do waste time fighting it, you will likely loose. He gave you precise measurements and the shoe is ambiguously labeled.

Sometimes you buy things on eBay and they don't fit. Just resell them and move on. If you are that finicky, next time buy from Zappos.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40