• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my possible ebay seller issue

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I now have my possible ebay seller issue. I bought a pair of Polo seersucker pants, NWT. I get them, and they're very nice and fit reasonably well, but they're not NWT. Maybe new, maybe worn 2-3 times - hard to say. The price is low enough that returning the pants will be a hassle if the seller requires that I pay for the return (which also appears to be ebay's defacto policy). The price I paid was about $20 for the pants and $10 for the shipping - and I'm not interested in tacking another shipping price reduction.

The Polo pants I won. If you look at the stock picture, there's clearly a tag.

here are some similar threads for background:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=67537

what does everybody think i should do?
(1) grin and bear it.
(2) return it
(3) neg the seller?
(4) demand a price correction?
(4) something else (add suggestions)

I have not talked to the seller yet.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would grin and bear it. Ebay will have the occasional bad experience. If you like the pants alot, just get them dry cleaned. Many here will tell you to send them back and argue with the seller for a full refund plus shipping both ways but I just would not waste my time for $30. I probably would not leave a neg. unless you can clearly tell the pants are used.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they were titled new, but are not new, then I would ask the seller for a return and to eat the shipping. If he won't, then neg him (and keep, or return for partial refund, whichever you prefer)

alternatively, all of your choices listed are fairly reasonable.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite a no brainer here. As Ed said: dry clean and wear them.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By the way, I said what I did due to the OP's " maybe new, maybe worn 3-4 times". Sounds like the seller simply took the tags off so that the buyer could not see what was paid. Obviously though, if the pants have a sh*t stain or something, I would not advocate looking the other way.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
By the way, I said what I did due to the OP's " maybe new, maybe worn 3-4 times". Sounds like the seller simply took the tags off so that the buyer could not see what was paid. Obviously though, if the pants have a sh*t stain or something, I would not advocate looking the other way.
Or pasta sauce stains. You wear a bib yes?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
It's hard to say whether they are new or worn? What?

i meant something like actually new, or worn 2-3 times and returned. As for dry cleaning - i would probably just launder them in my machine and hang dry - they are cotton, after all.

in all respects they seem to be in very good condition. that being said, they are $98 casual pants, and probably would not have sold for more than $10 or $15 (based on ebay sales of like new pants), so they seller did get an advantage by misrepresenting them as nwt.

should i neg or neutral the guy and say "advertised as nwt, sold without any tags" - it's not like he doesn't know what the tags look like as he put a picture in. he really shouldn't have advertised them as NWT if they completely lacked tags. after all, this is exactly why ebay got rid of the seller's ability to leave feedback.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if neg feedback is your consideration, you should always give the seller a chance to fix the situation first. ask, if they refuse, then negative.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If they aren't damaged in any way and they fit you etc., I would let it go completely... it's not worth the time to think about. Unless you wanted to wear them with the tags on or something
biggrin.gif

literasyme

Reaction score
I agree that you ought to give the seller a chance for a remedy, but if s/he won't, I'd definitely leave negative feedback. If the pants don't have tags, the photo and the description were a clear misrepresentation of the product.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I have not talked to the seller yet.
That should have been your first step before posting on the boards. It should still be your first course of action IMO. I agree that sending them back and having to, in effect, pay for shipping 2x (unless he covers return shipping) wouldn't really be worth it. Maybe you'll be lucky and he will fully refund your entire cost (with shipping) plus the cost of return but I find that highly unlikely and I don't see a return policy listed in the auction. So, having said all that, I would contact the seller and inform him of your issue and then request a token refund of some small amount e.g. $5-10 dollars as the item was misrepresented. I'd give a positive in that case. Otherwise, I'd most certainly be giving a negative. Don't leave a neutral (or negative) without first seeing if they will remedy the problem.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
That should have been your first step before posting on the boards.

It should still be your first course of action IMO.

I agree that sending them back and having to, in effect, pay for shipping 2x (unless he covers return shipping) wouldn't really be worth it. Maybe you'll be lucky and he will fully refund your entire cost (with shipping) plus the cost of return but I find that highly unlikely and I don't see a return policy listed in the auction. So, having said all that, I would contact the seller and inform him of your issue and then request a token refund of some small amount e.g. $5-10 dollars as the item was misrepresented.

I'd give a positive in that case. Otherwise, I'd most certainly be giving a negative.

Don't leave a neutral (or negative) without first seeing if they will remedy the problem.

Yeah, I agree with that. I like the pants - and don't particularly care that much about the price correction or a return - my main issue or concern is that seller might be trying to be pull some more of this misrepresentation bullshit on other buyers.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give the seller a chance to respond to your complaint. Don't suggest solutions, let them do that. If they come up with something that appeals to you more than keeping the pants at the price you paid, go for it. If they don't, make your suggestion for a resolution. If they go for it fine, if not keep the pants and give them negative feedback. I found myself in virtually the same situation recently with a pair of shoes and handled it that way. They chose not to respond and although I was happy enough with the shoes, I felt even better not having let them get away with a bad listing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads