• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My philosophy on buying

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you'll have a $20,000 watch and ill have a $20 space rock that shouts the time to my coworkers

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
you'll have a $20,000 watch and ill have a $20 space rock that shouts the time to my coworkers
Julius? Edit: Also, if you transferred your philosophy to a typical American noob, they'd likely end up in something terribly expensive and covered in logos (a la Ed Hardy) or just terribly designed (a la 80% of Galliano and 33% of Balmain).

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are a number of reasons not to buy the "best" when you start out -

1. Your tastes change and will possibly improve over time, as you get to experience and see different things. The steps you take to buying something in 10 years time all shape to make that higher end purchase a more stylish one.

2. Buying expensive clothes or watches on finance is rarely going to work - while you may say I save money by putting 20k on finance for a watch - so over 5 years pay 25k instead of all the cash on interim watches:-

In reality you will want more for having bought a 20k watch as a first stepping stone, especially have gotten it instantly via credit. You will still buy new watches soon, but they will be even more expensive!

It's just human nature that this will lead to spiralling debt.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you calculate how much you'd spend on the financing part?

Local_Disk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
A watch can, theoretically with stringent care, last (for all intents and purposes) forever. Shoes deteriorate. Even if you can get them resoled, the uppers will break down either in form or the leather itself will give in. The metals in a good watch won't succumb to this. As for design, look at how much has changed in the last century of watch design, not a whole lot at the top end. Look at how shoe designs have changed, massively. I swear this exact thread was done before (including responses....)
I completely agree, but neither examples are completely exempt from being "out of fashion", and is ultimately up to one's personal preference to decide if such an item is deemed worthy. It seems like the OP was aware of this, and invested in a watch where its sentimental value will hopefully outlast the current popular trends.
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
1. Your tastes change and will possibly improve over time, as you get to experience and see different things. The steps you take to buying something in 10 years time all shape to make that higher end purchase a more stylish one.
THIS! When it comes to fashion, I suggest you take your time and work your way up--not diving head first into it. It's less about the current trends and more about your own personal style and taste, because we all have one, even if we haven't discovered it yet. Here's a thought; if you took the route of gradually working your way up to experience the discovery, you would probably have a much more knowledgeable and refined outlook. Perhaps the outcome of your decision for that perfect novelty watch would be remarkably different than the one you chose now, and you would probably even appreciate it more too. You never know!

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does OP realize the whole reason people buy cheaper things? I mean **** if I could get the nicest car, house, watch and clothes right now then why the hell wouldn't I? Obviously we buy cheaper things because we can't afford the most expensive without 'financing' it in unrealistic ways (only 16 more years and this porsche will be mine!), and if we do that then we are limiting our prospects in all the other areas. Clearly you can't finance 'everything', unless you're planning to have it all paid off when you're 70, so even if we lose a bit by climbing the ladder of consumerism slowly at least we have something to show for it in the mean while (and by that I don't mean a giant savings account). You would be better to argue for people to make less 'hops' between the levels of products so that they are throwing out less and losing less money on reselling what they purchase. So rather than purchases a $1000, $2000, $3000, $4000, $5000 watch, you could skip from $1000 to $4000 to save yourself around $2500 in resale loss on the $2000 and $3000 watches inbetween. But saving up all your money to buy a $20,000 watch? Good luck getting a nice car and house to go with that; that is, before you turn 40.

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
It's silly, as it's often impossible to define 'the best'. Find something that is good enough and don't look back, you will be a happier man.

supandcu

Reaction score
Paid my first watch $390 and after a year of wear sold it for $450. So money-wise, it was a pretty good deal.

Although, wouldn't have sold it otherwise but wanted the new one, which was much more expensive.
lol8[1].gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think this thread was more to highlight OP's Rolex, which is nice, but white hot trendy lately, because we're coming out of a recession and watch trends all withered and gave the game to watches that can still be traded like commodities when **** hits the fan (as it did a few years ago).. ie Rolex, IWC, and some tier 1's.. If this thread was made 7-10 years ago, that Rolex would've been far less appealing, just as it will go out of style in a few more years, when heritage, 'value' and 'timelessness' stop being priorities for most interested in style.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see:

Timeless? check

Style vs fashion? Check

Durability? Check

We just need someone to talk about feminine clothing and we can complete the cycle.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
durrrrr here is how i spend my dad's money. finance it you peasant!!

Seriously. OP needs to be beheaded.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
this is a bad philosophy that can only really be applied to certain items. if you were to apply this to clothing and your body-type changes at all in any drastic way and you buy a bunch of clothing that doesn't fit properly a year from now, you'll have to replace your entire wardrobe. maybe the thread title should be "My philosophy on buying watches". either way, i disagree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads