• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Personal Restaurant Service Pet Peeves! Agree or Disagree?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The question is what to do when the waiter brings RANCH DRESSING without being asked?

manchambo

Reaction score

The question is what to do when the waiter brings RANCH DRESSING without being asked?

The answer in your picture is obvious as there is only one ranch, rather than four, and it hasn't been filled all the way to the top. The server should be thrashed to within and in of his life like a wayward cur.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think we need a Springs1 invocation to rule upon something so critically important

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Springs1 has a point for everything that could possibly happen while dining:

21. Servers that assume things such as bringing a ketchup bottle when you didn't ask for one that everyone likes ketchup when they could have just simply asked you when they took your order.

Her insanity can be broken down into a few simple points:

1) SERVERS do not speak to me other than to give "YES" and "NO" answers to my questions.
2) At my table I control EVERYTHING. Do not bring me a glass of WATER unless I ask FOR IT. NOTHING happens unless I specifically demand it happens.
3) ANTICIPATE my every desire but do not FULFILL it before I demand it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two of us have spoken her name now, it only takes a third for the invocation to be complete :devil:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
last night, at this very high end dining place called "Chili's" me and a couple of friends were at the bar area partaking of pilsen and ale that are priced so expensive they didn't have cents on the price. anyway, my companion asked for some "onion rings" to which the server told him that they do not have "onion rings" and so I asked "did you run out of onions?" and he said "we have onion strips, sir" true story, bro!

Godot

Reaction score
Someone has written a program called The springs1 Translator. I entered the original post into the translator and received

1.!1!!!!11 ASK IF ******YOU****** ******HAVE***** been there BEFORE??!!!?! (Especially IF ******YOU******** ******HAVE,****** it's irritating AND a TIME waster).

2.!!1!1!! Make comments about what *****YOU****** ORDER whether good or BAD, by basically putting their opinion into what *****YOU****** are ORDERING.!!111 IT'S not ****YOU******** business and it's not nice, SO don't go there unless specifically ****ASK**** TO.!!1!1!!! Even if it's a positive thing, ****YOU******* aren't acting ****AS***** if THAT *****WERE****** ********YOU******* being hungry and THIRSTY by delaying the customer from ordering their food.!!!11111 “THAT’S my favorite” doesn’t mean anything to me since WE all *****LIKE****** different THINGS.!!!111!! I don’t CARE if it’s ******YOU******* favorite, goodie for ******YOU****** it’s ****YOU***** favorite, that DOESN’T mean it’s mine.!!11111!1 Especially if I have had it a ZILLION TIMES, do I care about what *YOU* think of it, HELL NO I don’t!

3.!!1!11! TAKE *****YOU**** glass instead of GET ****YOU****** a new one FOR A REFILL.(THAT!1!!1 MEANS I am left WITHOUT anything TO drink for that TIME period, ESPECIALLY if I ******HAVE****** FOOD *****IN***** FRONT of *****ME.)

4.******!!!!11 If *******YOU******** are sitting AT the bar or table THAT the BARTENDER or SERVER refills ******YOU******** ICE MELTED glass without dumping out the old watery ICE IN the glass first.(Common!!!1!1111 sense I *****DON'T***** WANT watery coke for example.)

5.!!!!111 Refills ******YOU******* GLASS of tea at the TABLE.!!!1111 It would BE ******NICE**** TO NOT HAVE ******A***** watery glass of tea and a nice, clean GLASS.(COMMON!1!1!1!! sense again.)

6.!!1111!! Gives ********YOU***** ****YOU***** check when they didn't ****ASK******* if *****YOU**** wanted it.

7.!!!!!11 WASTES time writing their name and "thank ****YOU****** on the check or EVEN draws stuff.!!!111!!! What A waste of time.

8.!1!!1!1 Gets *****YOU******** dirty dishes OR any objects FIRST before going to get what ********YOU******** ********ASK***** FOR SUCH ****AS**** *******YOU****** CHECK when *****YOU**** want ******YOU***** CHECK.!11!! Common sense I want to leave, SO get WHAT I DO want before worrying ABOUT clean-up WORK.!!1!11!!1 If it's a refill, common SENSE I am thirsty, DUH, get me my refill FIRST.!!11! WHY ARE servers so UNCARING about customer's time they'd rather FAVOR objects over people???!!!?? Don't ******YOU******* think *******YOU******** tip will be altered when the customer waits longer for what they ********ASK****** FOR?

9.??!!??? SERVERS that ******PUT**** LEMON in ********YOU******* WATER or tea rather than on the rim of the glass or ******ON**** the *****SIDE****** due to that seeds CAN get into ******YOU****** drink AND/OR ******YOU**** just MAY not even WANT ******LEMON.

10.*****!!1!1!11 Auctioning off drinks and/or food when ****YOU**** SERVER is the one that took the ORDER.!!!!!!! The ******SERVERS***** should be going down the LINE FROM a starting point and make sure the food GOES IN front of the CORRECT person.!111! THE ONLY way the server has A GOOD excuse to mess UP ON this IS if the customers switched spots, because then I could see NOT knowing, but most SERVERS are too lazy today to compare their written orders to what ****IS****** ******IN****** their ******HANDS,****** the PLATES OF food or glasses OF drinks.!1!11! Once, I HAD a WAITRESS in A PARTY OF 4 AUCTION off drinks.!1!!11!! I ****WAS****** like, how STUPID and lazy can she be??!?!!??? 4 drinks, when she WROTE them down EVEN AS ******TO**** how lazy she WAS to make US state WHO had *****WHAT**** drink.!11!!1!11 THAT'S not our job, ******THAT'S**** our server's JOB.

11.!1!!1!!11 SERVERS THAT ******ASK***** *******YOU******* TO REMIND them WHEN ******YOU****** HAVE modifications LIKE adding SOME condiments.!!!!1 NO, ********YOU******** remind ********YOU**** by ****YOU******** written order.!!!!1 THOSE servers didn't even want to ****WRITE****** the stuff down they were so LAZY.!!1!!1! I have HAD 4 servers over the years ********ASK******* ME that.

12.!!1!!1 Servers that assume things like ******YOU**** want *****YOU***** CHECK just BECAUSE *******YOU****** ****ASK******** for a box or ASSUME ******YOU**** want another REFILL or ASSUME ****YOU******** *****ARE****** going to ALWAYS share appetizers, etc.

13.!1!!!1 SERVERS that ASSUME change is theirs WHEN the customer never TOLD them to KEEP ******IT.

14.*****!1!1!!!1! Servers that *******YOU**** don't know start trying TO make a conversation with ****YOU****** BEFORE *******YOU***** ******GET***** to PLACE ********YOU******** order.!!1!!! Common sense would BE we are hungry and thirsty, PLEASE let US order!

15.!!11!! Servers THAT don't APOLOGIZE when A MISTAKE HAPPENS that are theirs.

16.!1!!!11!1 Servers that blame SOMEONE or something else FOR their MISTAKE.

17.!1111!!1! SERVERS that walk away too QUICKLY when they COME to see ******HOW***** *******YOU****** ARE doing that *******YOU**** can't *******ASK****** them FOR everything ********YOU******** need.

18.!!!11!!!1 SERVERS that only ********ASK***** 1 ******PERSON****** IF they need anything, but NOT anyone else at the table.

19.!!!1! Servers that don't write DOWN ORDERS.

20.!1!111 SERVERS that don't write DOWN parts of orders, ONLY some, ******BUT***** not all.

21.!!1!1!1!! SERVERS THAT assume things such ****AS**** BRINGING a KETCHUP BOTTLE when ******YOU******** didn't ********ASK****** FOR one THAT everyone LIKES ketchup WHEN they COULD have JUST simply *****ASK******** ****YOU******* when they *****TOOK****** ******YOU******* order.

22.!1!1!111 Servers THAT BRING out OBVIOUS mistakes when they don't compare their WRITTEN orders or TICKETS to the FOOD.

23.!111!!!! ******SERVERS**** that don't go IN order in WHICH requests came in so ******YOU**** sit wait 5 minutes for *****YOU******** CHECK when they voluntarily ****DECIDED**** to check on other TABLES OR even worse, gone to buss an EMPTY TABLE with lots of dirty DISHES.

24.!1!!!!!1 Servers THAT don't take "NO" for AN answer TRYING ****TO****** convince ******YOU**** to get a dessert for example.!1!11! That's AGGRAVATING.

25.!1111!!11 SERVERS that don't know the menu, that ********YOU******** even KNOW more ABOUT the menu than they do.

26.!!111! Servers that BRING ******YOU***** what they want when they are out of something INSTEAD of ****ASK**** *****YOU****** FIRST.

27.!!1!!! SERVERS ******THAT**** just DON'T know how to take AN order ****SUCH***** as ****YOU******** say ****YOU******* only want cheddar cheese, LETTUCE, and onions ONLY on A chicken SANDWICH THAT comes with on the MENU LETTUCE, TOMATOES, PICKLES, and MIXED cheese, but they actually RING ****IT**** in ******AS****** extra cheese(adding cheese) when *******YOU***** were just SUBSTITUTING cheese, not SAYING ****YOU****** wanted extra CHEESE, which means they PUT in the order wrong as well as OVERCHARGED ********YOU*******!!!!1 SOME servers ARE ******TOO***** stupid TO KNOW how to *****TAKEN***** an order.!11!1! A PERSON doesn't HAVE to say "substitute" if they are ALREADY stating they only want ****ONE***** type of cheese.!1111 Some servers JUST DON'T have common SENSE, it's true.!!!1!!1 They aren't listening or reading the menu to know WHAT they ******ARE**** SERVING ****YOU******* all ****BECAUSE**** they ARE too lazy TO do so AND they JUST DON'T care, but YET, they want that money at the end.

28.!1!1!1! SERVERS that don't write down requests SUCH ****AS****** a box, a bag, the check, ****A****** refill, ETC.!1!!1! They ******ARE***** just too LAZY and DON'T care ****IF***** they remember what *****YOU**** said.

29.!1111!! Auctioning OFF food IF ********YOU***** ******AREN'T**** the server that took the orders as far as what table ****YOU**** ****ARE**** GOING to.!111!!!!! There *****SHOULD****** be ******A***** table NUMBER on the ticket and some diagram of the restaurant.!!11!1! Don't BE ******SO**** lazy as *****TO***** not make SURE *******YOU******* are TAKING the food to the correct table to not interrupt other tables *****AS**** WELL as *******YOU**** may END up giving the WRONG TABLE food FIRST that was *****NOT**** first AND/OR made the wrong way, WHICH it's very ****POSSIBLE****** a person THAT has A FOOD related ****ALLERGY***** is served the wrong one, THAT can MEAN something serious FOR ****THAT***** customer, so think *****IF****** that were *******YOU********!1!11 Servers that don't ****GIVE****** *******YOU***** the ******AMOUNT**** of ****CONDIMENTS***** ****YOU***** *******ASK******* FOR.

31.!!!!1 Servers that don't notice *****YOU******* DON'T HAVE any UTENSILS or EVEN napkins EVEN.

32.!111!!! Servers that ORDER FOR ******YOU******** without ********YOU**** consent OR permission TO SUCH as bringing *****YOU****** a ******REFILL**** without ******YOU****** ordering it OR being *****ASK***** for IT or even GETTING ****YOU****** a glass OF water *******YOU******** didn't order without *****ASK******* first.

33.!!!11!11 SERVERS that when *****YOU******** *******ASK***** FOR *******YOU******* check and *****A****** dessert, they wait until the dessert ARRIVES or even after to GIVE ********YOU**** ********YOU****** CHECK when they were fully in control of GIVING *****YOU****** ****YOU******** ****CHECK**** that ****YOU******** DID ********ASK******* for when *****YOU****** ordered *******YOU******* dessert which is well BEFORE the dessert ARRIVED.

34.!11!1!11! Servers that don't ******ASK******** *****YOU******* IF *****YOU**** want ********YOU******* side salad before the APPETIZER arrives when SIDE SALADS DO take MUCH less time to *****PREPARE***** THAN appetizers do.

35.!11111111 Servers that SERVE ******YOU***** food ******THAT***** don't TRY their best to ******MAKE***** sure *****AN**** obvious ERRORS AREN'T ON the plate or EVEN SERVERS that don't even ****KNOW***** WHAT table they ARE giving FOOD to, especially when it's the server THAT took the order.!!1!!!!!1 SOME servers ARE TOO lazy ****TO***** VERIFY ANYTHING.

36.!11!!11 ******SERVERS***** that JUST don't have COMMON sense SUCH as *****YOU**** have an EMPTY glass and don't even bother to ****ASK**** if ****YOU******* NEED anything to *****EVEN***** OFFER even.

37.!1!1!!11 Servers that don't GIVE *****YOU******* A straw or EXTRA napkins.

38.!!!1!!11 Servers that *****ASK****** one PERSON THAT is a fast eater if they want DESSERT that IS finished their ENTRÉE when ******YOU**** are STILL eating *******YOU******* entrée.!!!1!1! *****THE****** server should just ****ASK******** if they want ANYTHING else, NOT A dessert, BECAUSE that makes the other person feel LIKE a slow EATER and they would have to RUSH to finish.

39.!!!11!! Servers ******THAT****** DON'T BRING OUT appetizer PLATES out BEFORE the appetizer COMES *****OUT***** so then *****YOU***** HAVE TO wait to GET them, sometimes SEVERAL minutes.

40.!11!!11 Servers THAT TELL *****YOU******** instead OF *ASK* *******YOU******** if ****YOU****** want a refill by SAYING “I’ll get *******YOU******* another coke” rather THAN *****ASK******** ****YOU*******!1!1!!11 *****IT’S***** not their CALL to MAKE.!!!11!111 I ALMOST WANT to *****SAY****** “NO, ****YOU******* won’t *****GET***** ME another coke, ****YOU******* *****ASK***** if *****IT’S***** OK with me to get me another COKE.”!!!!!!!! I don’t SAY THAT, but sure DO want TO.!1!!!11! What's WHAT the "CONTROL" ISSUES?
EDITED?!?!?!? by Springs1 - 6/23/13 AT 9:06am
ReplyQuote Multi

What a fun person

John75

Reaction score
Something I can't stand, which never happens in Amercian or British restaurants, but always in French restaurants (I travel for work a lot): There are two of you. You each order a drink and a meal. When the waiter comes back with either, he will inevitably give a fake look of confusion while holding the thing in the air and saying, "The chicken wassssssss forrrrrr.......??????" and I'm like, "THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF US! ITS NOT THAT FREAKING DIFFICULT TO REMEMBER WHO ORDERED WHAT!!!!"

Also, when waiters bring two things that are very different, say, a shot of whiskey and a glass of milk. They always assume the more "masculine" thing is for the male, if the two people are of the opposite sex. Beer and wine are the perfect example, they always assume the wine is for the lady. Drives me up the freaking wall.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Something I can't stand, which never happens in Amercian or British restaurants, but always in French restaurants (I travel for work a lot): There are two of you. You each order a drink and a meal. When the waiter comes back with either, he will inevitably give a fake look of confusion while holding the thing in the air and saying, "The chicken wassssssss forrrrrr.......??????" and I'm like, "THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF US! ITS NOT THAT FREAKING DIFFICULT TO REMEMBER WHO ORDERED WHAT!!!!"

Also, when waiters bring two things that are very different, say, a shot of whiskey and a glass of milk. They always assume the more "masculine" thing is for the male, if the two people are of the opposite sex. Beer and wine are the perfect example, they always assume the wine is for the lady. Drives me up the freaking wall.

lol, you drink wine, you *****.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bump.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Compared to the prices at the other chains, THEY SURE THE HELL ARE! Under $20 usually you can get a full rack of ribs, NOT at Houston's you sure can't.

I see Houston's has a wine list and I am planning on dining at a Houston's soon. It's going to be a very special night for us at this UPSCALE AND EXPENSIVE dining establishment, and I was WONDERING if you had some suggestions from their EXTENSIVE wine list?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads