1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My Panta Endorsement.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., Dec 27, 2010.

1. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

Great ensemble!

2. sharks9022

sharks9022 Well-Known Member

SC fits great IMO. Liking the lapels and elbow patches.

3. sartorialism

sartorialism Well-Known Member

SC fits great IMO. Liking the lapels and elbow patches.

I like the jacket, but I have to disagree about the fit. It's just too small. Nice to see A&B doing well.

4. chasingred

chasingred Well-Known Member

I can see many folks on this board that have an eye toward more classic styling cringe at the way some of your clothes fit, and of course fit is all part of style, blah blah blah...but at the end of the day, you have such a cool vibe and swagger as part of your style and your ability to put things together makes others with their perfectly draping pants, divot-less shoulders, soporific ties and draped chests look irrelevant. Of course, you'd look that much better if you addressed some of the fit issues. [​IMG]

The thing I like about Panta the best is the imagination in the fabrics offered. Some really neat stuff that you really can't find anywhere else (at least I can't) but isn't so out there that I wouldn't wear it.

Agreed. Woe's jacket is a bit tight, but he has an uncanny knack for pulling things off even when something is really off. I believe he used to have a bit of a problem with his collars, but that didn't stop him from still pulling off better fits than 99.99% of the posters here. FWIW, I think his jacket would fit much better if he hadn't stuffed a scarf underneath.

Also agree about Panta's fabrics. You just can't beat the material that Ed's pants come in.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Panta fabric is mostly jobber fabric.

It probably give him latitude to try all sorts of interesting things you can't do when you are selling to the buyers for major department stores.

6. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem too small to me; a little less waist suppression, perhaps, but the fit looks pretty awesome.

7. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Well-Known Member

looks very satorial/satorical ..whatever.. personally i feel fit is consistently a bit small, but looks pleasing.

only qualm is the orange gloves- was it necessary in this ensemble? Looks like you're trying too hard to constrast colors. If you take off the gloves, as you would need to when indoors, showing some cuff, watch and bare hands would be more natural.

8. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

Great colors, glad to see the G&G's fit so well!!

9. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

...time for a stop at b.nelson to have the toe plates done...

10. dshell

dshell Well-Known Member

oh word button fly?

The pair of panta I own have have a button fly. I'm not actually enamored with them. Its like the buttons are weirdly spaced so that it pulls in an odd way. At first I'd thought that it was just the way they were lying down, but the oddness is actually exacerbated in three dimensions. I'm thinking of having my tailor put in a zip... which seems like such a retro-grade step. Still, the fabric is nice enough.

11. chasingred

The pair of panta I own have have a button fly. I'm not actually enamored with them. Its like the buttons are weirdly spaced so that it pulls in an odd way. At first I'd thought that it was just the way they were lying down, but the oddness is actually exacerbated in three dimensions. I'm thinking of having my tailor put in a zip... which seems like such a retro-grade step. Still, the fabric is nice enough.

I haven't had that problem with my Pantas, but just a warning - if you put in a zipper, you'll get a crotch tent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

12. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

I'll go ahead and say my bit, which I suspect will be an unpopular opinion.

I honestly believe you need to try out a more subdued look, and first work towards refining the fit of your clothes. ... ... not necessarily someone whose style I admire. Bold outfits coupled with a sub-par fit would lead me to such a conclusion.

As I've said in the past, I really admire your enthusiasm for our common hobby, and the 'lifestyle shots' (I mean that in a good way) are enjoyable.

this, more or less.

13. notalwaysrig

notalwaysrig Active Member

Sharp RED shoes....awesome, !....so many colors!!!

14. van Tienhoven

van Tienhoven New Member

First of all, great looking outfit. It looks like a lot of care putting it together went into it.

A small question. Is there a name for this style of shoe? The cap toe with the u-throat?

15. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

It probably give him latitude to try all sorts of interesting things you can't do when you are selling to the buyers for major department stores.
    Single back pocket aside, there is nothing 'interesting' per se about Panta pants. Horn buttons, button fly, 3 way fastening, et al are all easily available at any good departmental store. But please don't take that as a Panta slam. Just stating facts, nothing more nothing less. They are nicely made.
    A small question. Is there a name for this style of shoe? The cap toe with the u-throat?
    Adelaides.

16. chasingred

w.o.e. - could you tell us who made that scarf? It's quite nice.

17. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Well-Known Member

w.o.e. - could you tell us who made that scarf? It's quite nice.
    Thanks. It's a Japanese brand someone recommended to me before my visit there last year. Unfortunately the tag came off recently (not indicative of the scarf's quality). The brand is a two word male name. I believe initials "T" and "M" or "H"?. Relatively popular in Japan I assume, as I saw their men's store in both Osaka and Tokyo. But don't recall exactly who it is.

18. nmprisons

nmprisons Well-Known Member

Single back pocket aside, there is nothing 'interesting' per se about Panta pants. Horn buttons, button fly, 3 way fastening, et al are all easily available at any good departmental store.

But please don't take that as a Panta slam. Just stating facts, nothing more nothing less. They are nicely made.

For the money (i.e. in the $200 range), what I think sets Panta apart are the materials used and the quality of construction. It is not just that Panta uses horn buttons, but that the buttons are pretty fantastic. It is not just that they are nicely made, but the detailing is steps above other pants in that price range.

Your quote is similar to saying, four doors, sunroof, engine, et al are easily available at any car lot, there is nothing interesting per se about your BMW.

19. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

what is wrong with jobber fabric? these are not seconds. what do you call the stuff at tiptop?
    Hart marx dumped over 400,000 yards
    Ed Picked the good stuff Lora Piana, Barbaris, etc
    If he had to buy regular goods, he would have to add at least $50 to the cost of the pant.

Woe
    you should try one of the two tailors I keep posting about in Phila. better quality then Astor and black.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...96#post3923196

Overcoat: there is a store on chestnut and 13th that might have a really interesting milatary overcoat that could compliment your look and keep you warm!
    maybe you bought your thermals there!

20. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

Really? I've gotta disagree. I'll admit I'm probably small time compared to most of the people here but to me that along with the way it fits me are the main selling points of Panta.

Granted, I'm not looking for Super 1,000,000+ fabric; I'm looking for pants I can wear to work on a regular basis.