• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My own yoke draft

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I revised my yoke draft, and this one is quite a bit different from the previous one. Â Sorry the pic isn't very good. Â Here it is:
yokedraft.jpg
Dimensions: height(at widest point): 3.625 inches width(at widest point): 9.6875 inches height where right and left yoke meet: 1.375 inches length along bottom of yoke: ~9.375 inches height along armhole side: 2.375 inches length along top seam of yoke: 6.5 inches

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could you explain the process whereby you came up with the yoke pattern, and its modification? i think your DIY spirit is cool.

i notice a slight bend in the top line running across the shoulder - what does this do?

/andrew

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I'll post back on this shortly - I've got to work on explaining how I arrived at this pattern. It may be a few hours, or even tomorrow morning before my explanation is finalized and posted. I look forward to understanding this myself.
wink.gif

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I sat down to draft the left side of a split yoke. I started with an 11" x 17" sheet of paper.
On this sheet I drew a box roughly 9.25" (my shoulder measurement divided by 2) x 4" (a generous estimate of the height of the finished yoke). On the lower part of the right side of the box(the place where the halves of the yoke are joined) I marked off a 1.375" line, knowing that this was the height of the midpoint of the yoke that best fit me.

The slight bend in the top line running across the shoulder is there so that the sides of the yoke can match the angle of my shoulders, while the upper/middle portion of the yoke can (hopefully) follow my trapezius muscle and "hug" my upper back. I measured the distance from my shoulder to the base of my neck, which was a little over 6 inches. I drew this line connecting the armhole side to the neckline at what I thought to be my shoulder angle, and the last part of this line I drew at a slightly steeper angle to make the transition from my shoulder to my traperius muscle, which is slightly more elevated than my shoulders. I knew that the 9-plus inch length along the bottom of the yoke couldn't just be a straight line. Rather, it should be a curve extending from the outer seam to the middle, with the middle being elevated relative to the outside in order to closely fit the middle of the back.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
To claraify: the yoke I previously drafted I discarded and sat down with a plain sheet of paper to draft the yoke seen in this thread.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's pretty neat. you could try cutting it out and taping it on a shirt to get an idea how it fits. (or if you're really wild go ahead and piece together the rest of a shirt torso out of muslin...)

/andrew

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I joined the halves of the yoke pattern together and laid it out over the yoke of an existing shirt, and it seems that this yoke would be a much better fit.  When I head home tomorrow for the Labor Day weekend I'll compare it with the yoke on my custom shirt.  I may decide to fine-tune it...or overhaul, starting with another blank sheet of paper. At least I feel better about this yoke's possibility of working than that of the previous draft. I sent Ricky this updated pattern, and fortunately he's going to wait until he receives my second draft before starting work on my shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads