• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Overcoat Search

Linx

Reaction score
I am looking for a good winter coat and am just completely lost. I've went to like 10 different stores and found nothing. I am in Des Moines, Iowa though so there's not really much to pick from. I'll be going through Chicago next month and could get something there but I could also order online if they have a good return policy. Maybe you guys will have some good advice.

I'm looking for something that will work with a suit but I will mostly be wearing it with chinos and dress shirt so don't want something that looks overly formal. I'm a 42R and in my twenties so was thinking 3/4 length. I would like to find something around $300 but could go as high as maybe $500 if it's absolutely necessary. I'm looking for black or a darker color. My biggest problem is finding something that is a slimmer fit. Seems like most every coat I've tried on was made for an obese person. Any ideas on this?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all --- yes, overcoats are baggy, but you want to wear a suit underneath so the extra space is necessary. Size down if you must, but you can always use the extra money to take it to a decent tailor to slim it to your needs.

Linx

Reaction score
Yeah I considered just getting something tailored. I have heard of slimmer fitting overcoats though and at one of the better places I went to, the lady said they had slim ones last year and might eventually get some in. If I buy one that is already slim to begin with, is that going to be a lot better or is it pretty easy to get a tailoring that looks right?

If I do get it tailored, what do I tell them in order to make sure it does not end up looking stupid? I am not really even sure how slim I should get it, I just know what I was trying on was waaaay too big. Do you have to tell them how to taper it or is there really only one way to do it?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Linx
Yeah I considered just getting something tailored. I have heard of slimmer fitting overcoats though and at one of the better places I went to, the lady said they had slim ones last year and might eventually get some in. If I buy one that is already slim to begin with, is that going to be a lot better or is it pretty easy to get a tailoring that looks right?

If I do get it tailored, what do I tell them in order to make sure it does not end up looking stupid? I am not really even sure how slim I should get it, I just know what I was trying on was waaaay too big. Do you have to tell them how to taper it or is there really only one way to do it?

First of all, fine one that fits on your shoulders. Then wear your suit when you go to the tailor, and show him how you want it to fit just slightly larger than the suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads