• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Overcoat Plans - Would Like Some Input

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, so I'm sure many of you have the same issue with lots of your stuff (and no not all of you, but those of you like me). I'm not advocating a
foo.gif
like ONECOAT, because I just don't think it works for me, but I have far too many (despite managing to wear them all in a rotation pretty evenly). I want to get rid of them all and start from scratch with 3 NEW ONES. I'd like them bespoke, so it will probably take me two winters to do (not including this one). Here's what I have now: Turnbull & Asser Croatian Gramma Raglan Sleeve Tweed red and beige houndstooth
IMG_2413.jpg
Black/navy/red/creme raglan sleeve Tweed houndstooth
IMG_1817.jpg
JCrew Grey Herringbone Tweed
IMG_3088.jpg
Harris Tweed DB Brown Herringbone
IMG_3193.jpg
Nicole Farhi 100% Cashmere Midnight Blue with Black fur collar (also DB)
IMG_1939.jpg
JCrew Black (that I honestly NEVER wear) Trad Lighter grey Herringbone cashmere
IMG_2434.jpg
Camel DB Wool Cashmere
IMG_3296.jpg
Of those, I think the T&A and the Camel will be the hardest to part with. The T&A because its such a one off, and the camel because it was passed onto me by my uncle. But I don't think those are the most practical for me to hang on to for versatility. For that, I'd say it would be the JCrew Grey Herringbone tweed. But leaving that aside, if I had to keep ONE or TWO, which would you choose and why? For the three new coats, I was thinking one navy, one charcoal, and one bold brown based houndstooth check (or shepherd check tweed). I'd probably do the navy in LP Storm to double as a rain coat. I'd perhaps at some point want to add a Camel Polo style coat to that as well, but that would be well down the line. What are your thoughts? Also, when do you think would be the best time to B&S these (thats where I'll try to sell them first before going the consignment route)? Is it too late into winter now? Wait until next fall? Thanks.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need pics to choose which to keep/toss. Might also help getting them sold. And as far as that's concerned if the price is right they'll sell on summer solstice
wink.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
For the three new coats, I was thinking one navy, one charcoal, and one bold brown based houndstooth check (or shepherd check tweed). I'd probably do the navy in LP Storm to double as a rain coat. I'd perhaps at some point want to add a Camel Polo style coat to that as well, but that would be well down the line.

Navy and charcoal are too similar. I'd go navy, camel and then the bold.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Navy and charcoal are too similar. I'd go navy, camel and then the bold.

Would the navy be suitable for funerals/somber events? If I do that I would prob make the camel my LP Storm System coat. I know Frank has a light brown herringbone in LP SS if no camel is available but i don't think that wuld work as well, so I'd prob wait.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Need pics to choose which to keep/toss. Might also help getting them sold. And as far as that's concerned if the price is right they'll sell on summer solstice
wink.gif

Done

I also think I have a few too many casual ones as well (4 or 5) of which I think my gloverall can go.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice rotation...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Would the navy be suitable for funerals/somber events?
Sure. Also - other than perhaps the last 2, the ones you posted don't actually fit so I'd toss 'em if you can.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Harris Tweed looks best, but depending on the story with your uncle's coat, that may trump it (I am a sucker for sentimental value).

Icehawk

Reaction score
I'd keep the camel coat of your uncle's - I think it's very nice looking, classic style, and fits you well. Mind you I do not like your T&A coat one bit so we may have very different stylistic preferences.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would keep the camel coat as well. It's a classic that will never go out of style. I would add a classic Chesterfield coat in a charcoal herringbone with black velvet collar for formal/somber events like funerals and black tie. For the third coat, I would go with something more casual.

kcc

Reaction score
NYR,

Keep 1) Harris tweed DB brown herringbone & 2) Camel DB wool/cash, toss the rest and have a navy DB wool made. This assortment will offer a solid foundation.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Is it possible to have overcoats with sleeves too full?

This dude says no.

211greg-11.jpg

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
keep the brown Harris Tweed ... everything else must go.

get a navy db (check the recent purchases thread for a Caruso one Ich Dien posted) and a camel colored one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads