• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My Overcoat Plans - Would Like Some Input

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'm sure many of you have the same issue with lots of your stuff (and no not all of you, but those of you like me). I'm not advocating a
like ONECOAT, because I just don't think it works for me, but I have far too many (despite managing to wear them all in a rotation pretty evenly). I want to get rid of them all and start from scratch with 3 NEW ONES. I'd like them bespoke, so it will probably take me two winters to do (not including this one). Here's what I have now: Turnbull & Asser Croatian Gramma Raglan Sleeve Tweed red and beige houndstooth
Black/navy/red/creme raglan sleeve Tweed houndstooth
JCrew Grey Herringbone Tweed
Harris Tweed DB Brown Herringbone
Nicole Farhi 100% Cashmere Midnight Blue with Black fur collar (also DB)
JCrew Black (that I honestly NEVER wear) Trad Lighter grey Herringbone cashmere
Camel DB Wool Cashmere
Of those, I think the T&A and the Camel will be the hardest to part with. The T&A because its such a one off, and the camel because it was passed onto me by my uncle. But I don't think those are the most practical for me to hang on to for versatility. For that, I'd say it would be the JCrew Grey Herringbone tweed. But leaving that aside, if I had to keep ONE or TWO, which would you choose and why? For the three new coats, I was thinking one navy, one charcoal, and one bold brown based houndstooth check (or shepherd check tweed). I'd probably do the navy in LP Storm to double as a rain coat. I'd perhaps at some point want to add a Camel Polo style coat to that as well, but that would be well down the line. What are your thoughts? Also, when do you think would be the best time to B&S these (thats where I'll try to sell them first before going the consignment route)? Is it too late into winter now? Wait until next fall? Thanks.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need pics to choose which to keep/toss. Might also help getting them sold. And as far as that's concerned if the price is right they'll sell on summer solstice

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
For the three new coats, I was thinking one navy, one charcoal, and one bold brown based houndstooth check (or shepherd check tweed). I'd probably do the navy in LP Storm to double as a rain coat. I'd perhaps at some point want to add a Camel Polo style coat to that as well, but that would be well down the line.

Navy and charcoal are too similar. I'd go navy, camel and then the bold.

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Navy and charcoal are too similar. I'd go navy, camel and then the bold.

Would the navy be suitable for funerals/somber events? If I do that I would prob make the camel my LP Storm System coat. I know Frank has a light brown herringbone in LP SS if no camel is available but i don't think that wuld work as well, so I'd prob wait.

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Need pics to choose which to keep/toss. Might also help getting them sold. And as far as that's concerned if the price is right they'll sell on summer solstice

Done

I also think I have a few too many casual ones as well (4 or 5) of which I think my gloverall can go.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice rotation...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Would the navy be suitable for funerals/somber events?
Sure. Also - other than perhaps the last 2, the ones you posted don't actually fit so I'd toss 'em if you can.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Harris Tweed looks best, but depending on the story with your uncle's coat, that may trump it (I am a sucker for sentimental value).

Icehawk

Reaction score
I'd keep the camel coat of your uncle's - I think it's very nice looking, classic style, and fits you well. Mind you I do not like your T&A coat one bit so we may have very different stylistic preferences.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would keep the camel coat as well. It's a classic that will never go out of style. I would add a classic Chesterfield coat in a charcoal herringbone with black velvet collar for formal/somber events like funerals and black tie. For the third coat, I would go with something more casual.

kcc

Reaction score
NYR,

Keep 1) Harris tweed DB brown herringbone & 2) Camel DB wool/cash, toss the rest and have a navy DB wool made. This assortment will offer a solid foundation.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have overcoats with sleeves too full?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Is it possible to have overcoats with sleeves too full?

This dude says no.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
keep the brown Harris Tweed ... everything else must go.

get a navy db (check the recent purchases thread for a Caruso one Ich Dien posted) and a camel colored one.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.