• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Opinion on Seven-Fold Ties.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I wonder if there are wool seven-folds?

I have Borrelli and Kiton wool lined six-folds. I have never seen a seven-fold tie from either maker. I have unlined three-fold wool Kiton ties that are my favorite from that brand.

I really think there is quite a bit of difference between an unlined seven-fold and the typical lined Italian-sourced six-folds that are sold by the RTW global brands. An unlined seven-fold will have a soft drape, and you will see the handkerchief edges of the rolled tips since the lack of lining will reveal more dimpling from the stitches on the edges. The softness will also manifest itself in the knot and how the tie falls.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll try to post some pics later. I have some beautiful printed, unlined 7-fold wool ties.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unlined wool 7-folds.
ties004cs0.jpg
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I have several Kiton 7 fold that are not bulky at all. They get compliments and I like them.
I have found that unless you get the width very narrow, Kiton ties make an ugly shaped knot. They use very nice silks, but I would prefer if they would work on the shape of the ties a bit in order to make a better looking knot.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I especially like the first one. Who makes these?
I'd venture Cappelli. These are great Matt. Love the middle ones especially.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I especially like the first one. Who makes these?
Rubinacci, Rubinacci, Kiton, Kiton. The first two are super lightweight, the next two are more standard weight.
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'd venture Cappelli. These are great Matt. Love the middle ones especially.
Since the ties I order from Cappelli are bespoke, I don't bother to get 7-fold. I don't think the extra cost is worth it.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That green Rubinacci is sah-weeeeet. I saw some unlined AM ties at Shop the Finest in both linen and silk that remind me of these.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Unlined wool 7-folds.

ties004cs0.jpg

I have found that unless you get the width very narrow, Kiton ties make an ugly shaped knot. They use very nice silks, but I would prefer if they would work on the shape of the ties a bit in order to make a better looking knot.

M., I have the Kiton, third from the left, and it is a an unlined three-fold, not a seven-fold. Is yours different?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have never seen unlined seven-folds from Kiton, but their wool unlined three-folds are my favorite from them.

- B

mattjames

Reaction score
Those unlined ties have a sort of slightly uneven appearance. Is this a feature of unlined ties and considered a desirable quality?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
M., I have the Kiton, third from the left, and it is a an unlined three-fold, not a seven-fold. Is yours different?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have never seen unlined seven-folds from Kiton, but their wool unlined three-folds are my favorite from them.

- B

These are 7-fold (or six or whatever the correct number is.) You can see pretty clearly from the photo that they are not done quite as well as the others as the edging of the tips is way too obvious. It isn't so apparent in real life, but for what they cost, it should be a lot better.

Originally Posted by mattjames
Those unlined ties have a sort of slightly uneven appearance. Is this a feature of unlined ties and considered a desirable quality?

Yes.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the way a sevenfold drapes, but I wonder if it's just the lining and greater material rather than the folds themselves.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several. I like the cashmere Borelli one I have the most. I can't stand Robert Talbott to begin with, whether it's shirt or ties so the 7 fold thing isn't any worse than the rest.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I like the way a sevenfold drapes, but I wonder if it's just the lining and greater material rather than the folds themselves.
Those lined, thick folded ties you speak of are not the attraction of 7-folds.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one silk Kiton seven fold i got from Lance, and I think it's my best tie (I don't have many). It's thick, but surprisingly light, and I think it ties a good knot in the few times i've worn it.

I also have an Isaia 7-fold paisley which is really thick and beefy. The only knot I could successfully tie with that thing was FIH. Forget about a Windsor. 1/2 windsor, not so sure.

I would love to pick up more Kiton 7 folds, if the color and patterns were right.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isaia and Borrellis are pretty beefy. Kitons tend to be thinner. I have them all and I prefer the H&B (I think it's a 5-fold?) and Capelli because they are prints (though heavier gummy twills) so not as beefy the Borrelli wovens. It's all about the type of silk and lining used, not the number of folds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads