• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My next suit....

msart84

Reaction score
I've had my first job out of college (in finance) for about 6 months now, and I finally am ready to get another suit. I have two navy's and one gray, both wardrobe staples that have served me well. I'm thinking about making my next suit a navy chalkstripe or a glenplaid/pow. Any suggestions for my next suit since I have the navy and gray staples already?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are pretty much open to go in any direction you choose. You have the basics and have been in your working environment for long enough to judge what is appropriate. Probably got to see a few things you like as well. Pinstripes/POW in grey and navy are logical next steps.

I have been pounding the Samuelsohn MTM drum pretty hard lately, but that is what I would do if I were you. Wait for a trunk show in your area and get fitted, pick a cloth you like and for $1000-1100 you will do very well.

msart84

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance. I've never heard of Samuelsohn, but I work a few blocks away from the NYC showroom so it looks like it is definitely a possibility.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably add a pinstripe before a plaid/pow.

msart84

Reaction score
I keep thinking about a pinstripe db with peak lapels and patch pockets. Will the pockets be too much?

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I keep thinking about a pinstripe db with peak lapels and patch pockets. Will the pockets be too much?

I personally picturing it in my head would find that odd. An odd db jacket or blazer I'd say go for it. But patch pockets on a pinstripe db for work can't say I recommend it

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had a few navy and grey suits when y I first started working an d then eventually ventured into a few patterns such as pinstripes probably after a year or so.

NiceGuyTom

Reaction score
If your grey suit is solid go with a medium pinstripe.. or vice versus. Light grey.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're unsure whether to venture into new colours or patterns yet, you can also start by playing with textures and materials.

Last edited:

aKula

Reaction score

The patch pockets are to get through the 99% incognito?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont put patch pockets on a suit like that. Unless your going a bit 30s and you do a wide leg.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dont put patch pockets on a suit like that. Unless your going a bit 30s and you do a wide leg.

+1. Just a DB is unique enough.peak lapels, yes. Patch pockets, not so much.

A pinstripe should probably be your next move. Good Luck!

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. Just a DB is unique enough.peak lapels, yes. Patch pockets, not so much.

A pinstripe should probably be your next move. Good Luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads