• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New York City shoe adventure

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading with complete envy the shoe shopping sojourns of many of our members, I decided to have a NYC run myself, from Toronto.

Morning -- Allen Edmonds, Testoni and Bergdorf Goodman
Afternoon -- Santoni, Tod's, and John Lobb

Sure, nice stuff in all places, but other than the great US prices for us Canadians of AE, huge markups (surprise!) everywhere.

AE loafers (Melrose in chili is superb) were nice, with excellent service (my buddy bought two pairs and shoe trees -- 25 bucks compared to the same tree for 90 smackers at Harry Rosen, WTF!!!). Testoni and Santoni were nice, but nothing grabbed my fancy (Santoni was more expensive than I expected) and Testoni was gorgeous, but a little wild than what I was looking for -- a burgundy oxford of monk. Tons of cool double monks, though, but my wife no likey!

Then I went to Mecca. Had to ring the bell to get in!!! Jesus H., the shoes were stunning. I swear, when I saw and touched the Vale in Chesnut Museum Calf, I had a shoegasm! The best looking shoe I have ever seen. But at $1500.00, a little rich for today, with Coach purses, Mont Blanc watch and Borelli tie, etc. I'll be heading to the factory in early July. Someone please tell me I can get an 11D Vale for a good price.

Cheers, all, and goodnight from NYC!

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
....... (my buddy bought two pairs and shoe trees -- 25 bucks compared to the same tree for 90 smackers at Harry Rosen, WTF!!!). .....
It has been a long while since I have purchased AE at Rosen's, but if you buy during the trunk shows, they throw in the trees, sometimes other goodies, metal shoe horns, polish etc. You would have to be mental to walk in and just buy trees at that price! :)

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
I'll be heading to the factory in early July. Someone please tell me I can get an 11D Vale for a good price.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's highly unlikely that you're going to find what you're looking for at the factory. The Lobb factory is a great trip, and you may find a few pairs of random shoes that you'll like. However, it's nearly impossible to find some of the popular models or really anything you are particularly seeking out. Some other posters and I have posted about our trips to the Lobb factory in Northampton, if you want an idea of what to expect.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried the Hale in Merlot at AE. Wanted to like them but the last was too wide. I like a narrower shoe. I was wearing Canali black cap toe oxfords, and the sales guy mentioned how much he liked them. Since it may be bad news about Lobb, I may have to get my burgundy fix from Vass mail order.

cowboyjack

Reaction score
I'm jealous. To see these shoes in person.... sigh.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cowboyjack
I'm jealous. To see these shoes in person.... sigh.

Seeing things in person.

It can be great or it can be bad. I've seen several pairs of Edward Green shoes in person that were really disappointing. I've seen Vass in person that floored me compared to what I saw in pictures. Same goes with suits, sportcoats, etc.

As I've learned...nothing beats seeing things in person. NOTHING!!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by william
As I've learned...nothing beats seeing things in person. NOTHING!!

+1

@audiophilia
Tons of double monks, though, but my wife no likey!

She has a very refinded and distinguished sense of taste, IMO.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
First post. I'm from Toronto, and am going to NYC in July.

Where exactly did you go (address/store)?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
First post. I'm from Toronto, and am going to NYC in July.

Where exactly did you go (address/store)?

Isn't this info in the original post? And can't one just google the names for the addresses? It will probably take you the same amount of time to get this info than any one else.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Isn't this info in the original post? And can't one just google the names for the addresses? It will probably take you the same amount of time to get this info than any one else.

None of the addresses are, that's why I asked the bloody question. Google already told me that there is more than one AE store in 212. I understand it's a big place.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
None of the addresses are, that's why I asked the bloody question. Google already told me that there is more than one AE store in 212. I understand it's a big place.

I understand that none of the addresses were in the original post, but typically the name of the store is sufficient to get any additional info you need. I suppose if you want the exact store location to replicate the OP's itinerary, knowing whether he went to a Madison Ave. store or one on Avenue of the Americas would be helpful. But any of the locations will have the shoes the OP discussed.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
where are there high-end shoes at the Woodbury commons? Saks off 5th had a terrible supply. they do have a ferigamo store but I'm not one for there shoes. the johnston and murphy store has a bad selection.

i'm going back there to look at some suits, i'd like to find out where the nice shoes are?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did Saks Fifth Avenue today. They had a great selection. Way better than Bergdorfs, which surprised me. Loads of EG, AE, Testoni, Magli, Ferragamo, JM Weston, Zegna, Canali, etc. Really big selection.

Now, my friends, help me out. I found a gorgeous JM Weston burgundy oxford (edit -- Aston Line double wingtip oxford). $845.00. Yea or nay, price wise and quality? I've heard some of you denizens mention Weston here.

Thanks for any guidance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads