• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Smoking Jacket!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One could say I have a bias...

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice jacket. You need a large guage double corona, a leather sofa and a glass in one hand. Wonderful.

Regards.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that it has peak lapel, I always thought smoking jackets were third on the list in formality after 1)white tie 2)black tie. Would have expected shawl.

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
Interesting that it has peak lapel, I always thought smoking jackets were third on the list in formality after 1)white tie 2)black tie. Would have expected shawl.
I believe youre right-- I think the OP's jacket is a velvet jacket with turnback cuffs rather than a true smoking jacket-- or at least a hybrid garment. I was always led to believe a true smoking jacket has a shawl lapel (velvet, or faced with another material) and frog closures or a belt...

bjm

Reaction score
Yes, I think your right. I would say its a hybrid...which is why I like it so much. The true purists smoking jacket like this one attached is stunning but I am not crazy about the frogging look.

Originally Posted by mdg137
I believe youre right--

I think the OP's jacket is a velvet jacket with turnback cuffs rather than a true smoking jacket-- or at least a hybrid garment.

I was always led to believe a true smoking jacket has a shawl lapel (velvet, or faced with another material) and frog closures or a belt...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I arrive late to this thread, for which I apologize.

But I bring fresh tidings (well, tiding...): which is thus.

Were I to come upon a man under the age of sixty and six years at home in a smoking jacket, I would start beating him about the head and shoulders with a vintage swagger stick until he cried for mercy and led me to his pith helmet and ostritch feather scarf closet.

If OP is sixty and seven years, carry on.

- B

bjm

Reaction score
Very funny post.
lol8[1].gif
..Unfortunately said OP is definately no where near sixty and six years in fact there is still some daylight left to forty and zero years! Please reserve the beatings for people that truly deserve it like our "friend" whnay.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I arrive late to this thread, for which I apologize.

But I bring fresh tidings (well, tiding...): which is thus.

Were I to come upon a man under the age of sixty and six years at home in a smoking jacket, I would start beating him about the head and shoulders with a vintage swagger stick until he cried for mercy and led me to his pith helmet and ostritch feather scarf closet.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjm
Very funny post.
lol8[1].gif
..Unfortunately said OP is definately no where near sixty and six years in fact there is still some daylight left to forty and zero years! Please reserve the beatings for people that truly deserve it like our "friend" whnay.

Hmmm...you make a convincing case.

Don't worry: I have something more cruel in mind than a mere beating for whnay: continued life in Atlanta, and reprogramming the nav on his entry level Lexus so that only roads called Peachtree show up.

- B

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
I know, they don't look like pants cuffs on a sleeve. . .

Huntsman must not know anything about tailoring
plain.gif

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

I turned 40 this year, and have a substantial amount of gray hair-- I wouldnt let myself get a smoking jacket until I had both of those...plus, it made for a great wardrobe addition recently when I was shooting at home:

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Smoking jacket and photographing boobies...are you channeling Hef?

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads