• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new slim suit - alter length or not? (pics)

fredrik80

Reaction score
I just picked up a really nice charcoal Dior Homme 2-button suit for amazing 400 Euro at a store closeout, awesome deal as i've been looking for a charcoal number for quite a while (i only had navy and black in various combos). Full canvassed and feels really nice when worn,

The only thing im concerned about is the jacket length - im about 1.80 metres (approx 5"9) with a pretty muscular build which sometimes makes me look shorter, i tend to go for shorter jackets to elongate my body. This jacket is approx 31" from bottom of collar to hem - im considering letting a tailor shorten it by 1" - would this be a bad idea?

Any other comments on fit? Sleeves and trouser inseam are ofcourse going to be altered so ignore those

healinginfluence

Reaction score
I have no qualifications other than my untrained eye. To me the jacket looks a tad long. Amd it looks the vent in back is getting slightly pulled apart. I can't see if the collar lies flat or not in the images you posted. The seat and crotch may need to come in.

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
It seems to me that the main issue is the length of the sleeves and trousers being too long.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would shorten the sleeve (up to your wristbone) and shorten the trousers. The length seems fine to me.

itskub

Reaction score
Agreed, sleeves are noticeably too long.
Though from the pictures, I wouldnt have considered the suit as 'slim'.
Good find though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads