• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new shoes stretched in a wierd way...

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Hi guys, Just wanted to get some thoughts on the way my new shoes stretched, yesterday I took them out for a night out town really put some miles on them. I had the shoes for a week already, they are semi broke in but yesterday was the first time I really walked around in them. Prior to that I use to just walk around home for a hour or two to get them accustomed to my feet. Well today I tried them on again to see if they feel different, and they do lot more comfortable near the toes except....

As you can see the sides have billowed out when I stand up. Not sure what the hell is going on, anyone care to advise me where to proceed from here? The good news, if there is any is that they are more comfortable, the heel also does not slip either. I cant imagine how the sides got so screwed up. Is it the way I walk? Should I take them to a cobbler?

Thanks,
Chris

Edit- I also have to add that my feet are not normal shaped. My mid section is just as wide as my toe area, and my heel is rather small...However I never had this happen on any other pair of shoes.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they Allen Edmonds? I've seen several posts on here where a similar condition has occurred.

And are you sure they are not too large?

whochrisliu

Reaction score
No they are Vass. I dont think they are large, out of the box they where quite snug, but they are broken in now and more comfortable. I just have no idea what the hell happened last night. I dont remember them being like a few days ago.

edit- I do have a pair of Allen Edmonds they are my every day shoe but they are not lace ups, no problems at all fit like a glove right out of the box.

Last edited:

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Those shoes don't fit you. Do you have any other pairs from that brand? I'd look for brands that work for your wonky feet!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No they are Vass. I dont think they are large, out of the box they where quite snug, but they are broken in now and more comfortable. I just have no idea what the hell happened last night. I dont remember them being like a few days ago.

edit- I do have a pair of Allen Edmonds they are my every day shoe but they are not lace ups, no problems at all fit like a glove right out of the box.

Wow - Vass shoes are very well made - this almost certainly is a fit issue. I'm over my head here. Perhaps others will be able to offer more guidance.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the risk of online-shopping. fwiw, it's one of the most complex rtw last on the market.

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Those shoes don't fit you. Do you have any other pairs from that brand? I'd look for brands that work for your wonky feet!

Yeah speaking of wonky feet....

There you go! Come one come all, see the legendary sasquatch foot!

Interestingly enough though, prior to wearing them out for the first time they did not do that when I stood up....
I just dont know if its fashionably acceptable to wear anymore. I mean they do look ugly when I stand up the inside liner is tan too so they stick out. I dont know if a cobbler perhaps can do anything?

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have the same problem with some of my shoes. It's a combo of having a widish foot with narrow heel in addition to fit issues with the actual shoe. You may find something like a blutcher will work better since you can lace it up a bit tighter.

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Well I guess I will have to wait till monday, take them to the shoe hospital see what the guy says. He fixed a deep scratch on a pair of my calfskin loafers a while back dont know what can be done about these. Might have to just shelf them and move on to the next one. The transition from moccasins to laceups has been one hell of a painful one. (Physically and financially)

Last edited:

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Just a small update. While examining the shoe I found out that if I put it on the ground and press the middle of the insole with my 2 fingers, the sides billow out. So....im not sure what to make of that.

EDIT- I found this while searching online...

"Bulging toplines like in the picture could be caused by two things -- 1) not enough time on the last in production so that the toplines don't take the form as well as they should, or 2) too much time in the box on a shelf or, after purchase, in the closet without shoe trees in the shoes. As you probably know, we put a "heel counter" between the lining and the external calfskin of our dress shoes to protect the shape of the heel. We also put what's called a box-toe in front to keep the toe firm and to hold the shape.

There isn't anything stiff on the sides of the shoes, however, for comfort reasons, so the only thing to hold the shape around the ankle over the long term is the cord-like binding that we sew around the topline. We extended the time we leave shoes on the last 3 years ago, just for this very issue. However, if the shoes get jossled around in transport and then sit awkwardly for months on a shelf in inventory, the shape can get compromised. As you wear them, the shoes also take the shape of your foot and walking, by nature, makes the toplines bulge out as the foot flexes. If the shoes are not a great fit, the bulging as you walk can be exacerbated. Shoe-trees and a couple of days rest in a shoe rotation, can help return the toplines to the tightened look.

Toplines do get tightened somewhat in the Recrafting process. Putting good shoe trees in the shoes and leaving them there is an at-home step that should help. Polishing the shoes with the shoe trees inside and then leaving them to "settle" could be enhance the rebound."

This was by Paul Grangaard, of Allen Edmonds.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No [COLOR=FF00AA]they are Vass[/COLOR]. I dont think they are large, out of the box they where quite snug, but they are broken in now and more comfortable. I just have no idea what the hell happened last night. I dont remember them being like a few days ago.

edit- [COLOR=FF00AA]I do have a pair of Allen Edmonds they are my every day shoe but they are not lace ups, no problems at all fit like a glove right out of the box[/COLOR].

:inlove:

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Well Mr. Lint thats not quite far as those Allen Edmonds are loafers not oxfords. I never have any trouble with loafers, every single one broke in. I tried dress shoes in the past, all I remember where heel blisters and sore feet. I have been wearing moccasins and loafers since. Just recently I decided that its time I try again to get into dress shoes. Lurking around here seeing people talk about their shoes and reading my shoe making book really inspired me. So far however the experience has been lackluster. Unfortunately I think because of the awkward shape of my feet I might need to go full bespoke. Having already threw a couple quid down for these suckers and been let down I am weary to buy other pair of oxfords. I actually never had a pair of lace up shoes fit well for me. I need about a 44 for my mid section, but a 42 for my heels.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 'sasquatch foot' supinates and has a twisted instep too boot. The left foor is just wide and short with a high instep. You probably need to avoid RTW off the internet shoes forever as fritzl suggested and just get fitted for some Allan Edmonds probably in EEE/EE fitting witha C heelcup.

Last edited:

LeJouvre

Reaction score
Well Mr. Lint thats not quite far as those Allen Edmonds are loafers not oxfords. I never have any trouble with loafers, every single one broke in. I tried dress shoes in the past, all I remember where heel blisters and sore feet. I have been wearing moccasins and loafers since. Just recently I decided that its time I try again to get into dress shoes. Lurking around here seeing people talk about their shoes and reading my shoe making book really inspired me. So far however the experience has been lackluster. Unfortunately I think because of the awkward shape of my feet I might need to go full bespoke. Having already threw a couple quid down for these suckers and been let down I am weary to buy other pair of oxfords. I actually never had a pair of lace up shoes fit well for me. I need about a 44 for my mid section, but a 42 for my heels.

That is a common problem.

Are those shoes a wide fit? They obviously are a good fit in the toe box but the additional leather around the quarters are designed for a wide foot. It seems obvious that, behind the toe box, the shoes are not being filled by your narrowing foot.

The wider last is designed for a foot with more common proportions throughout the foot and so the leather will begin to lose the shape where your foot begins to narrow.

The shape of the eyelets and quarters will spread due to lack of support from the shape of your narrower foot, and, also where the shoe is perhaps a little too long. I bet you have a tendency to buy shoes a little big (too long) to accommodate the broader toe box - right?)

This problem will only get worse, not better. A good set of lasted shoe trees will bring them back to the original shape between wears, but the problem will always be there.

I think you are correct, you will need to ask for a MTO with a wide toe box and narrow heel with the tapering commencing from the bridge of the foot.

A rough guess says you are a "F" in the toe box, an E at the beginning of the bridge and a D from the top of the bridge through to the heel. If I am correct then you will be blessed with the requirement of having to wear nothing but MTO Oxfords and Derbys.

One simple solution is also for the bootmaker to make the vamp and eyelets a little smaller, again, no big deal but an MTO nonetheless.

It is not really a big deal, costs a little more, but then the added benefit is that you will typically wear shoes which are a tad better quality than the average bench grade shoe. Another benefit, strangely enough, is that you will need to buy a lot fewer shoes since MTO tend to be a superior quality, so select styles well.

One shoe which I think will be great for your shape of foot is the Edward Green M64 Galway and Shannon. Actually these are boots, but they are wide in the toe box and tend to narrow in the heel.

I have a brother-in-law with similar problems and Dean from G&G makes him an "F" fitting shoe on a "D" last. It is a "D" last with a little extra width around the toe box tapering back to the heel.

Dean won't rip you off.

You could also speak with Nik from Bespoke, Nik is great and he can get anything done.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That is a common problem.

he choose the wrong last, period.

did not read...

Are those shoes a wide fit? They obviously are a good fit in the toe box but the additional leather around the quarters are designed for a wide foot. It seems obvious that, behind the toe box, the shoes are not being filled by your narrowing foot.

The wider last is designed for a foot with more common proportions throughout the foot and so the leather will begin to lose the shape where your foot begins to narrow.

The shape of the eyelets and quarters will spread due to lack of support from the shape of your narrower foot, and, also where the shoe is perhaps a little too long. I bet you have a tendency to buy shoes a little big (too long) to accommodate the broader toe box  -  right?)

This problem will only get worse, not better. A good set of lasted shoe trees will bring them back to the original shape between wears, but the problem will always be there.

I think you are correct, you will need to ask for a MTO with a wide toe box and narrow heel with the tapering commencing from the bridge of the foot.

A rough guess says you are a "F" in the toe box, an E at the beginning of the bridge and a D from the top of the bridge through to the heel. If I am correct then you will be blessed with the requirement of having to wear nothing but MTO Oxfords and Derbys.

One simple solution is also for the bootmaker to make the vamp and eyelets a little smaller, again, no big deal but an MTO nonetheless.

It is not really a big deal, costs a little more, but then the added benefit is that you will typically wear shoes which are a tad better quality than the average bench grade shoe. Another benefit, strangely enough, is that you will need to buy a lot fewer shoes since MTO tend to be a superior quality, so select styles well.

One shoe which I think will be great for your shape of foot is the Edward Green M64 Galway and Shannon. Actually these are boots, but they are wide in the toe box and tend to narrow in the heel.

I have a brother-in-law with similar problems and Dean from G&G makes him an "F" fitting shoe on a "D" last. It is a "D" last with a little extra width around the toe box tapering back to the heel.

Dean won't rip you off.

You could also speak with Nik from Bespoke, Nik is great and he can get anything done

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads