1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My new shoes stretched in a wierd way...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whochrisliu, Apr 28, 2012.

1. whochrisliu

whochrisliu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I emailed Lobb for one of their forums, I checked out both Vass-Shoes and the Vass-Cipo website I cant find the contact info to Rezso, do you know what it is?
    Well the area I pressed is where the shank would be, but with all the high praise of Vass shoes and their build quality how on earth would they screw up with the steel shank?

Thank you both for your very honest opinions. Kind of sucks, 700 clams down the drain, this shoe went wrong on every imaginable level. Where would I get fitted for a bespoke shoe anyways? Neiman Marcus has Lobb but they are the RTW line I think, and they are going for about $1600. Do these stores like Vass, Eg, JL, JM Weston, G&G, Carmina etc have stores in North America? I mean hell a airplane ticket over to wherever they are is already 2 MTO shoes. I guess I could get Allen Edmond or something but I was hoping to get a more higher quality dress shoe...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. jammyo40

jammyo40 Well-Known Member

The English shoemakers tend to have trunks shows in major metropolitan cities in the US. GC and G&G both visited Dallas and Dean Girling himself helped me with sizing with my first pair of G&Gs.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

For clarification purposes, my response was an inside joke. It was not intended to make light of your situation. :)

4. whochrisliu

My mistake, your avatar makes everything you say look quite serious [​IMG]

5. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

They may be the wrong size/width combination or you may just have an odd foot shape.

6. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

Shoes do not need to be broken in and should fit perfectly when you buy them. Stay away from shoes like Vass(Lobb too) that only come in 1 width. And yes you are right, slip ons are better made shoes and will fit properly. There's no need to wear laced shoes.

7. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

You buy those at Bergdoff's? Tell them they're defective and to credit your account. If they want the shoes back tell them to have UPS collect them.

8. whochrisliu

No I didnt Snedley, I got them from Ascot Shoes. Dont think I can get a refund.

9. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Oh, come now---that's ridiculous. You're either joking or a troll.

10. uniesse

uniesse Senior member

Are these the U or K last?

11. Naka

Naka Senior member

He's a blatant troll, spouting rubbish all over the board for a few days now. The mods will have him soon...

12. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

If you paid by credit card, which is the only way you should ever buy anything, you have protection against defective products. If you don't get a credit then just notify your bank and they'll take the charge off.

13. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

You're the ridiculous one. I've been buying high quality shoes since I was 17, that's over 40 years ago and certainly know a lot more than kids, amateurs who buy shoes by mail, used shoe buyers etc. The one thing that stands out in my mind when I read these posts is that mostof you don't even know how to measure a foot or how to fit a shoe which is why 90% of you are always making some complaint about how badly your shoes fit. Listen to the voice of experience not some 'tween or 20 something.

14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

what's the air like? you know, like up on that pedestal, is it quite thin?

:satisfied:

alright, in all fairness though, I've never understood people ordering shoes online and hoping they'll fit. makes no sense to me unless you've already tried them on in B&M and are getting a good deal online.

15. rikod

rikod Senior member

It's so simple, I'm learning that SF complicates everything

16. whochrisliu

Eh oh well, now I know. Im not going to sell the shoe, I will still wear it around, they are comfortable now at least. Heel does not slip anymore and my pants will cover most of that part anyways. My cobbler said that aside from fit the steel shank spring is probably too hard or something. He also looked at my feet photos he said that perhaps I should look into bespoke, said that with my feet I probably wont be finding anything that will fit me that great off the rack. Problem is flying somewhere just to get my shoe fit. The ticket costs so damn much you would have to go order about 10 pairs to even make the trip worthwhile. People always say "Well thats the dangers of buying something online!" if thats the case I might as well start rocking cowboy boots because we dont have a lot of bespoke shoemakers or retailers here in Houston, TX. If you want anything nicer online is the only option. So anyways, I think its back to loafers for now. I do appreciate all the sage wisdom though.

17. jammyo40

jammyo40 Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Alden? They have a very wide variety of lasts to fit many different foot types.

18. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

I would think that anyone who is buying expensive shoes regardless of where he lives would also be the sort who would travel to places where he'd be able to buy them in person. It's sort of ridiculous for some $50k a yr clerk to be spending $500 a pair on shoes and buying them by mail.

19. LeJouvre

LeJouvre Senior member

Florida, USA ; New zealand; Hong Kong; Singapore
    When I saw "Ascot Shoes" everything suddenly started to make a whole lot more sense.

Everyone I know who has bought shoes from Karl has had some or another problem.

The issue is that most of the shoes sold by Karl are rejects. Now I am not sure how Vass marks his rejects, but if you find Ascot shoes on auction which are not rejects, well then you will have found a rare thing.

Perhaps it is not the last or shoe size after all, perhaps there is some other reason more closely associated with rejects.

I wonder how Karl would react if you took the matter up with him?

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  20. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

I beleive that Tony Gaziano has done trunks shows with Chris Despos who is based in Dallas. Not too far away and you can get fitted by the man himself.