• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Saint Andrews Suit - Please Advise

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought this new Saint Andrews suit today. It has a 3/2 roll and super 130s wool. I have a few questions. First, aside for finishing the sleeves, what alterations does the jacket need? Second, what is a reasonable price for hand sewn buttonholes for the sleeves. Thanks!
SA.jpg
SA2.jpg
SA3.jpg
SA4.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saint Andrews is way underrated. Better than the well know high end brands, or at least it used to be. Back needs to be cleaned up, but a nice score.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I took that to my alterations guy, he would take in the upper half of the side seams, adjust the back under the collar and shorten the sleeves a half inch.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Don't let Manton see that sleeve pitch!

Not tough to fix. And while he has the seam open he can clean the blades up and maybe insert a bit of padding under the right shoulder which should clean up the buckling under your chest. Expect to pay no less than $40 and no more than $80 for the buttonholes.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Not tough to fix. And while he has the seam open he can clean the blades up and maybe insert a bit of padding under the right shoulder which should clean up the buckling under your chest. Expect to pay no less than $40 and no more than $80 for the buttonholes.

Thanks Jeffery. I miss your blog, btw.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I'm sure he'd come to accept the pitch.

Blasphemy! A well-fit sleeve is the first indicator of a good suit!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As stated, it needs a bit of alteration, but a great score on your part.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Jeffery. I miss your blog, btw.

Thanks. Been really busy and my laptop died, but things will get quiet soon and I'll be a little more prolific.

But back to your suit, where are the pants? And show me the undercollar and the back of a buttonhole! (personal fetish- you should know why)

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ $240 for a NWT SA suit, I'm sure he'd come to accept the pitch.
plain.gif
I found it at Off 5th.

I got excited when I saw the suit yesterday @ the store, then I realized it was a 38 size , glad you found it.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
And show me the undercollar and the back of a buttonhole! (personal fetish- you should know why)

All of the St Andrews I have seen (mainly Ralph Lauren Purple Label) have collars, lapels and button holes done by hand.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
All of the St Andrews I have seen (mainly Ralph Lauren Purple Label) have collars, lapels and button holes done by hand.

Which is why I want to see them!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads