• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My new "Norfolk Jacket"

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've just commissioned a sportcoat borrowing a few details from a Norfolk jacket. In reality, it's probably less Norfolk than just straight sportcoat, but I thought I'd solicit the forum's opinion before all the details are set.

I like the idea of a full Norfolk, but as a bigger guy I don't want to add too much business and bulk around the middle. I really want to wear this primarily as a casual sportscoat during the fall and winter months, with the ability to use it as outerwear for walks in the woods. No actual hunting or riding use here. I've picked a pseudo-Norfolk cloth, a large-ish herringbone in a deep, warm brown. It's a very soft fabric, not the stiff tweed that would be traditional, but again I want this to really be a sportcoat with some Norfolk details added in. It looks the part without perhaps draping or feeling the part.

3-roll-2
Tab collar closure in suede
Suede elbow patches
Half-belt in back
3 patch pockets
Leather buttons

I think a single vent is really the only way to go, but does anyone thing a double vent is possible?

Also wondering if the half-belt should have any hardware; e.g. buckle, buttons, or just be straight cloth.

I'm inclined not to go with the rear shoulder pleats (is this called "bi-swing?") so as not to add too much bulk but I am open to suggestions.

Constructive criticisms welcome.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
Try researching "half Norfolk jacket," then come back.

Consider a welt breast instead of patch.

Holland & Holland has a nice one.

- B

mdg137

Reaction score
A double vent is ceratinly not traditional on a norfolk, nor appropriate-- that being said, I just ordered one.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider bellows pockets instead of patch pockets on the sides. I know you don't plan to carry shells, but how often are you going to get bellows pockets otherwise?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Isn't that called an Alexandria jacket?

courty

Reaction score
I would do the bi-swing, half belt with no hardware, bellows pockets, and single or double vents. Single vent is most traditional but I have seen many such coats with side vents.

I would rethink the elbow patches until such time as your coat wears sufficiently to make them useful.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Naive Jr.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Consider a welt breast instead of patch.

Holland & Holland has a nice one.

- B

What do you like about the Holland & Holland Half Norfolk jacket?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.