1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My new jantzen shirt...photos.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tom, Apr 4, 2004.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This is nearly too perfect. Haito, are you having a little joke? Admit it. But I agree with Versace - burn.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Lucky J, he gets to check the IP address of the poster and snicker to himself as he finds out who's alternate posting ID that was.

3. AAA

AAA Senior member

By far, that is the funniest post I have ever read on the Style Forum.

4. rothko

rothko Member

This is the funniest post I've read anywhere in a long time. Was it just me, or did anyone else instantly think of that old Dr. Demento sketch "Ti Kwan Leep." I couldn't get that thought out of my head, so I had to dig it up online. Â Here's the transcript as well as an mp3 of the sketch http://www.webguys.com/pdavis/karate/tikwanleep.html If you haven't heard this sketch before, I think its well worth the 2 minutes. Great post..

5. dug

dug Well-Known Member

I agree with pink/pink not very nice here but dot/strips are more a "faux pas" up to me... You see, we started from "nice shirt/tie" to "bad color/bad pattern..." So if many people think it is not good matching it must mean it is not so good as most people said firstable. What can I say when one says "dot/stips are ok" when this is a basic rule of good taste not to wear them together? Seriously? How can these people dress but like farmer trying to look in fashion?

6. rayk

rayk Senior member

Dug, I have to interject.  Your perception of what is most stylish, and your stubborn adherence to a particular school of sartorial thought doesn't make it sacrosanct, or the only game in town.  Stop assaulting us with your tiresome and insular theories of the Holy Grail of sartorial propriety.

7. Tom

Tom Senior member

wow, even farmer's are getting picked on now. (chuckles)
    I have had fun reading all the posts, even the obnoxious ones. I am new to dressing well, so new in fact, that some of you think I have not accomplished it yet. Perhaps rightly so. The jeans are yard work clothes, and would never actually be worn with a dress shirt. They are surplus from the american navy, and I quite like them. The jacket is a lime green with blue undertones. It is cashmere and made custom for my brother by Oxxford. It is a sweet jacket, but I think it is not my color. Sadly, the color was hard to see in the picture.

I cheated on my measurements by one inch everywhere expect the cuffs and collar. The first shirt I ordered did not fit at all, too small everyplace, I could barely move. This short still seems to pull quite a lot in the shoudlers and arms when I move more than just a tiny bit. Perhaps I simply cannot shop from jantzen. I have other shirts that are otr that fit far better.
    Thanks for the feedback.

-Tom

8. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Where did I talk about sartorial?

9. j

j Senior member Admin

Tom, Jantzen offers to take a well-fitting shirt you send and copy the fit. Perhaps you should try that. After watching all the finagling required by some people to get the right fit I am considering picking out a shirt I can do without for a while and sending that in for my first one. As strange as it sounds it will probably be a Banana Republic medium. I think they had aliens abduct me and make the medium on my body because their M is perfect. Anyway if you have one that fits well and is too warm / wrong color for summer, maybe you should send it to them.

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

The problem with self measuring. That is the reason why I do not like it when customers just send me a shirt and copy it.

I do prefer to have customers come to my shop and bring a shirt that they like and think fits well. Or at least have details that they are looking to replicate. I have been at this for over 20 years. At this point I just ask a few simple questions and I can get the fit that you are looking for. Having measurements sent to another country where The simple idea of slim fit versus regular fit is not standard. No wonder you go though several samples to get it right. I make one sample shirt, then ask my customer to wear the shirt a couple of times. LAst thing I want to do is start altering a finished shirt. Remember it is always easier to make a shirt smaller then bigger. I guess at $40 not to many people ask for their money back or a new free shirt if the first one is off. I do not know Jantzen's policy. They are working on very close margins.

Tom. I knew those were sailor pants as soon as I saw the pocket. I grew up working in and Army & Navy surplus store. I didn't even think those were issued any more.
    I like the polka dot tie/stripe shirt combo. The colors are off so it does not work. The shades are not complimentary.

Dug: It sound like you read Mortimer Levitt's pamphlets (Custom Shop) about pattern matching. two solids(textures are OK) and only one pattern. Safe but boring.

Dug, I love reading your comments.  Just don't come to NYC and ask me to make you any shirts at 40% discount.