• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Mom just died and the death of parents.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PM sent.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lost my own mother a few years ago, in 2006. It's a weird feeling, and something I still don't think I've properly addressed. I was 18, and has just finished high school, so it was a weird transitory period. My brothers are all younger than I, so it was even harder on them.

Rnoldh, obviously we've had different experiences, and are at different periods in life; so our ways of dealing with a tragedy like this are going to differ. The only thing of advice I can offer is this: don't retreat. Posting on SF, being out with friends, and generally continuing social connections is important. It's too easy to pull back from things, and that's one thing that can make this period more difficult. Make an effort to see people, and it will help matters.

Truly sorry for your loss, wishing you the best.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rnoldh,

Your mother has a beautiful smile. She looks like she must have been a very kind and caring person. You and she are both very fortunate to have had each other.

RSS

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My condolences to you, rnoldh. I haven't read the whole thread, but my only words to you is that she lived a long life, and if she died at 94 then I'm sure ten years ago, when one is still considered old at 84, that her health was relatively good and that you were lucky to have her in your life even then.

I am blessed that my parents are still alive and well in their early 60s and have a youthful spirit. I remember even as I was a child at the age of 5 or 6 years old that I had panic attacks thinking about the death of my parents, which was an emotional curse for me for a couple of decades. As I matured however I grew to thoroughly appreciate who they are instead of what they, as will all of us, will become.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sort of an update.

It gets better with time. But you never realize how much you love a parent till they are gone.

My Mom used to enjoy this place http://www.cantorcenter.com/ in Ft Lauderdale.

For many years she would play Mah Jong there with the other little old Jewish ladies.

She outlived almost all of her contemporaries.

But as she got older she was losing her sight progressively and was almost blind at the end.

I will never forget how she told me how mean the other ladies ( in their 70s ) would be while she was losing her sight and had trouble playing.

But the place is a fantastic resource for elderly Jewish people in the area. And they are hurting financially in the current economic downturn, especially in Florida.

In many ways my life is going spectacularly and amazing things are happening. But I really, really miss my Mom.

In her memory I will state publicly here that one of my primary goals for 2012 will be to help the Cantor Center financially. I don't care if I have to work 14 Hrs, 7 days a week. I will do it. For no other reason than it is the right thing to do, and she would have been happy.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you're a good man, rnoldh.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, you are a good man

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

It gets better with time. But you never realize how much you love a parent till they are gone.

This is very true. Don't wait until it's too late.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you all. My Mom knew Cantor and he was an amazing man:

http://www.cjp.org/page.aspx?id=222290

http://www.jewishbroward.org/page.aspx?id=68013

I don't have that kind of money but I know people that do.

On Sunday I am going to Houston's Holocaust Museum and amazing things happen when you try.

The guy behind the Houston Museum was a Holocaust survivor who came to the US with nothing!!!! Today his children are national ( probably international ) RE developers.

I can't name names, but the most admirable people I know are often those that started with nothing and then made fortunes and gave back.

Joe Jamail comes to mind. I don't drink ( for specific reasons ), but if I did I would love to have a drink with him.

Years ago at the Allen Park Inn on Allen Parkway, here in Houston, I did drink and Jamail drank there too ( not with me ). He made billions and I made it to SF :D. The story is not over.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads