• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Long Lost Ralph Lauren Admiral's Coat

jays978

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

In 2008, I owned a Polo Ralph Lauren Admiral's (Made in Italy) mid-length coat. It was gifted to me by a friend and it was near and dear to me. However, broke and having graduated into the GFC, I had little means and was in need of a suit. I sold it on this forum to a member to fund my suit purchase. I have regretted it ever since.

It's been ten years and I have been trying to find this coat so I could re-gift it back to my dear friend as a show of appreciation for our friendship. From time to time, I would offer to buy the coat back from the member, but understandably he is very happy with it! RLPL reissued a longer, topcoat version of the coat this season, but I still very much prefer the mid length, PRL, version. I am enlisting your help, if you could point me in the right direction, to tracking down another example of the PRL mid-length version that I owned. Thank you in advance for any insights and assistance.

Happy Holidays

RLPL re-issue: https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-clothing-jackets-coats-vests/wool-topcoat/442286.html?cgid=men-clothing-jackets-coats-vests&dwvar442286_colorname=Classic Navy&webcat=men/clothing/Jackets Coats Vests#prefn1=brand&prefv1=Purple%20Label&webcat=men%7Cclothing%7CJackets%2C%20Coats%20%26%20Vests&start=1&cgid=men-clothing-jackets-coats-vests

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're willing to spend $4k on the RLPL version, why not spend $1500 on a much better, bespoke version?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

starro

Reaction score
I don't know how developed your taste in overcoats is, but it is consensus that for overcoats longer is better. Both in terms of looks and function, all else being equal of course.

jays978

Reaction score
Thank you for the great suggestions, all! For some reason, I am fixated on the PRL I had - it was made of super thick wool and the craftsmanship was brilliant. But I will definitely look into these alternatives.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PRL is nothing that special, although it was good. It was machine-made Corneliani.

I am sure you can locate a similar heavy cloth too. Fox Bros, Dugdale, Minnis, etc

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not so **** up your thread, but I did a similar thing except by the donation route. I had a heavy thick cotton, golden tan colored safari jacket that PRL put out probably close to 10 years ago. Beautiful lines, weathered brass buttons, and wonderfully aged. I lost interest in it and donated it several years back, and found myself kicking my own ass for not just storing it in the basement! I learned my lesson. Good luck finding what you're looking for!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads