• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My last bargains

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
300 euros for 2 cashmere turtleneck jumpers 1) Strange blue (with small lighther spots) 2) Nice beige (but with a problem I didn't noticed as I was in a hurry because the shop was closing)

gregory

Reaction score
Although I don't see myself wearing turtlenecks, your purchases look wonderful.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can hopefully sew that right up

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
You fellas over in France must have some sort of super-duper-outrageously under retail-red tag-final markdown outlet because you always seem to be getting 75%-90% off of everything. Kudos to however you do it.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You fellas over in France must have some sort of super-duper-outrageously under retail-red tag-final markdown outlet because you always seem to be getting 75%-90% off of everything. Kudos to however you do it.
I have all my day to hunt and I am rather smart to find bargains. I do not know how but I know when and where to go.

Last we I went to an oulet shop =
99% on 2 cashmere jackets for women ...
75%/85% on shoes for women
90% on a leather jacket for women (the horse one)

And even at 75% off, I try to bargain.

Exemple = I picked up clothes for 700 euros instead of 5 000 euros = 85% off. Most of guy wouldn't believe it. BUT I still managed to have a free pair of socks (sold at 3 for 20 euros instead of 1 at 15 euros) by asking the seller how they were and saying I would like to try for my father but wasn't sure about the quality. He gave me a free pair to try them.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can hopefully sew that right up
I will try to have the same in prefect condition.

May be thet could fix it.

If not, I do not want to do it by myself. Not for a jumper at 645 euros.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest - If I am reading you right then the sweaters were 150 euros instead of 600 euros each???

While 75% off is always nice, do you think 600 would have been a reasonable price? I ask because the very nice cashmere jumpers (sweaters here) in Milan back in the fall were around 150 and we found some extremely high quality ones at a market for 80 euros - these were the very nice zip neck ones in a very high quality 4-ply cashmere.

Did you get a new job recently? I missed that post but congratulations if so. Sounds like you are building up quite a wardrobe

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest - If I am reading you right then the sweaters were 150 euros instead of 600 euros each???

While 75% off is always nice, do you think 600 would have been a reasonable price?  I ask because the very nice cashmere jumpers (sweaters here) in Milan back in the fall were around 150 and we found some extremely high quality ones at a market for 80 euros - these were the very nice zip neck ones in a very high quality 4-ply cashmere.

Did you get a new job recently?  I missed that post but congratulations if so.  Sounds like you are building up quite a wardrobe
137 instead of 555
163 instead of 645

I think you could find better value for money than a jumper at 645 euros from Dunhill but I am sure that your 80 euros cashmere (tag price) are not good quality.

At this price this is IMPOSSIBLE to make a good cashmere jumper. May be only the raw material would be at this price.

In general for cashmere, you got what you pay. No miracle.

A well knitted (not like mine.) good cashmere is around 400/500 euros in most of brands. As few people can pay 500 euros for a jumper, they always make good sales on them. I got all my cashmere between 100 euros and 150 euros (I paid 240 euros for my first one and 150 euros for the same 6 months after and picked up the same for my girlfirend at 100 euros at the end of the sales.).

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While 75% off is always nice, do you think 600 would have been a reasonable price?  I ask because the very nice cashmere jumpers (sweaters here) in Milan back in the fall were around 150 and we found some extremely high quality ones at a market for 80 euros - these were the very nice zip neck ones in a very high quality 4-ply cashmere.

Did you get a new job recently?  I missed that post but congratulations if so.  Sounds like you are building up quite a wardrobe
How much is a cashmere from Zegna or Cerruti ?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah.. I missed that it was Dunhill - in which case the 150 sounds very good.

Thank you for the information about what fabric costs, I will need to better educate myself in this area so that I will not make a fool of myself in the future.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Nice, as usual, ernest.

By the way, you want "latest" rather than "last" as in "My latest bargains."

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah.. I missed that it was Dunhill - in which case the 150 sounds very good.

Thank you for the information about what fabric costs, I will need to better educate myself in this area so that I will not make a fool of myself in the future.
I am not a broker on cashmere but I know that you can find a lots of different quality of cashmere.

Expensive ones =
long thread (stronger and less stuffs),
light raw material (softer final product as it needs less dye to fix the color)
woven in Scotland or Italy

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, as usual, ernest.

By the way, you want "latest" rather than "last" as in "My latest bargains."
"last bargain" is not correct?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"last bargain" is not correct?
No. It's kind of a confusing distinction.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last = 2 meanings = I will do no bargain anymore  OR the newer

Am I right?

I meant second,  of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads