• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my job sucks because...... but I love it cause it allows me ......

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my job is the worst because

selling big ticket items to very complex decision making units is nerve racking and can give you an ulcer. dealing with 6-10 people, from different cultures, some of whom might be getting a bribe from my competitors, most of whom simply don't understand my product and aren't interested in learning.

my customers are always very unrealistic about timetables - they ignore me for months, then want delivery a few days after putting in the order.

because I am the market leader in what I do, I have 10 or so smaller competitors trying to fight for their lives for market share. most are willing to sell at a loss if they have to, to get a piece of the market. I can't turn my back on any of those motherfuckers for a minute

my regional managers like to talk and ***** to me, they are all very high maintanance, and all want more money, more benifits, all spend a lot of time complaining about people in the headquaters to me. they are spread out, so my first call is at 6 am, my last at 10 pm.

the people in my headquaters simply don't work as hard as my team does, and I have no way of getting them to. they have no sense of urgency, and they don't understand what needs to be done for my business.

for 2 weeks a month, pretty much every month, I fly every day, have meetings, then fly again. most times this can be going around the world. then, every now and again, I have to fly off someplace for a short meeting - fly to doha for a single meeting, fly to mexico for dinner.

my CEO doesn't really understand what I do.

on the other hand, I love my job because it allows me to

live in a nice place, in a great town, let my wife stay at home with the kids, and have a housekeeper

eat in some of the best places in the world on a regular basis

get to some of the best cities and places in the world on a regualr basis, and know that I will be coming back on a regular basis for years to come

do what I do best

I actually love the intelectual activity of complex sales and negotiation, as emotionally draining as it can be

so, why does your job suck and why do you love it?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My job sucks because there is no regular pay day.

I love my job because I can take a day or a week or a month off anytime I want to.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif
fight[1].gif
boxing[1].gif
worship.gif
laugh.gif
teacha.gif
smile.gif
plain.gif
frown.gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
blush.gif
bounce2.gif
devil.gif
tinfoil.gif
rimshot.gif
inlove.gif
confused.gif
bigstar[1].gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So globetrotter, where do you see yourself in five or so years? Serious question, since it seems that you're on top of your sales org right now.. Where to from here?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
So globetrotter, where do you see yourself in five or so years? Serious question, since it seems that you're on top of your sales org right now.. Where to from here?

that is the single biggest problem with my job. there is absolutly no where to go up. my boss isn't much older than me, and she isn't going anywhere. she reports to the CEO, who is a family member and whose children work in the company. so, as long as I am in the company, I can't go up.

and, frankly, I can't imagine another job that I would enjoy as much, or that would give me the lifestyle I have.

5 years ago I would never had believed that I would accept being in one job/position from 40 to 65, now I am pretty sure I can live with it.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you sell, water treatment equipment or some other industrial ****?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
What do you sell, water treatment equipment or some other industrial ****?

something like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads