• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My jeans are too loose now, what can I do?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope :-(

You could get the waist darted at a local tailor's, but you'd first have to be certain that the procedure wouldn't screw up the proportions i.e. leave you with a tight waist and loose thighs.

DBoon

Reaction score
Not necessarily. How loose are they?

Anyways, the way you are going to shrink these the most is by giving them a HOT wash in the washer, and a HOT dry in the dryer. If that isn't enough, then you can consider making alterations. But you will probably just get bigger in time...

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, even if you shrink them back to their original size, they will restretch out as you wear them. So, you need to buy some smaller jeans, or get used to wearing what you have looser.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it loose in the legs or the topblock?

If in the topblock, I've had success stuffing a cucumber in the front to help take up the slack in the topblock. Women love the improved fit so much that they won't quit touching my jeans!

aerether

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Is it loose in the legs or the topblock?

If in the topblock, I've had success stuffing a cucumber in the front to help take up the slack in the topblock. Women love the improved fit so much that they won't quit touching my jeans!

Do you think a banana would work just as well?
bounce2.gif

Milky_Madison

Reaction score
My jeans are too loose in the seat. Would most local tailors be able to shorten the rise from the crotch areaon rigid jeans? Or will I have to look for a super tailor of some sort?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tailors can EASILY do what's called a waist/seat/thigh to take in fabric at all those different areas.

one caveat though: if you take in the waist or seat too much, the pockets might look awkwardly close.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
tailors can EASILY do what's called a waist/seat/thigh to take in fabric at all those different areas.

one caveat though: if you take in the waist or seat too much, the pockets might look awkwardly close.

I have been told this is all but impossible on jeans. Pants- easy.

Royal Berk

Reaction score
Eat some pies put on some weight, the girls will love you for it
smile.gif

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just throw it into the dryer on really hot for really long. No washing required. It will stretch back out but you can just repeat.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
I have been told this is all but impossible on jeans. Pants- easy.

Then you must find a new tailor.

I only soak my jeans cold in order to preserve the dry denim look; unfortunately, it also means that they'll never really shrink back to the regular waist size. The solution? Ask my tailor to take in 1 inch (max) and wear a thick a belt (belts stretch too). There's only so much a pair of jeans could stretch and it's been working pretty well so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads