• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Jantzen Shirt Has Arrived!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, My Jantzen shirt just arrived. I was so happy to receive it, I had placed the order in July and emailed Ricky a few times, he got back to me in December, and with two more emails I got him to make the shirt quickly. I ordered a light blue french oxford - just beautiful. I think the sleeves and shoulder fit well, collar is a tiny tiny bit tight, and the body is fitted. I'm a little worried that it might shrink when I wash it (haven't done so yet). The only issue I have - and it's a very minor one - is that the buttonholes were done in dark blue, and I don't remember specifying that.
front.jpg
back2.jpg
detail.jpg
fabric.jpg
Please critique so I can make some alterations for my next order.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
The shirt is fitted nicely, and because of that, it makes the sleeves look all the more billowy. Perhaps a little less circumference in the sleeves. Also, the waist may be slightly large (or the shirt is just not tucked in enough). Those would be my only suggestions.

Jantzen doesn't seem to nail down those button holes very well, do they?

Dan

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
I like the fabric. - what code is that on Jantzen's website?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt is fitted nicely, and because of that, it makes the sleeves look all the more billowy.  Perhaps a little less circumference in the sleeves.  Also, the waist may be slightly large (or the shirt is just not tucked in enough).  Those would be my only suggestions.

Jantzen doesn't seem to nail down those button holes very well, do they?

Dan
Thanks for the quick reply.

I think the blousiness at the waist is just from the fact that I am wearing casual low-rise pants rather than traditional suit pants. The sleeves look a little billowy in the picture, but I think that is just a trick of the camera, as they seem quite fitted in real life. They are slimmer than most of my RTW dress shirts, and the only shirts I own with slimmer sleeves than this Jantzen are by Versace and Etro.

Do you think the dark buttonholes look O.K., Or should this just be a casual shirt?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the blue buttonholes are great. Not like anyone's going to notice them if you're wearing a tie, and if you're going casual it would be a nice touch.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the button holes are the first thing I noticed, so I would say that they may be a little flashy for a dress shirt. But maybe the inclusion of a tie will negate that. Can the shirt be worn untucked, or is it too long?

Kinda funny how the swatch that they used has a run in it.

Dan

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mother*&*%&*%&. Thanks for ruining my day Versaceman -- I just want my Jantzen shirt even more.

That is a close to perfect fit. Wash it and hang dry it a few times to see about any shrinkage issues. Only possible issues -- with shrinkage, shoulders might be .25" too narrow. As of now, they look perfect; wrist circumfrence might be a bit too narrow, but that's probably the result of the three buttons (undo the last button and the sleeve will sit better on the hand perhaps, but this is nitpicky); ideally you'd want to have a slightly slimmer upper sleeve to match the slimness of the body of the shirt (but this is hard to achieve in a remote MTM shirt, and again, this is just nitpicky).

Overall, I'd say that this is a fantastic shirt. I like the slim fit -- you can pull it off since you are young and not fat yet.

Also, fabric number please.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mother*&*%&*%&. Thanks for ruining my day Versaceman -- I just want my Jantzen shirt even more. That is a close to perfect fit. Wash it and hang dry it a few times to see about any shrinkage issues. Only possible issues -- with shrinkage, shoulders might be .25" too narrow. As of now, they look perfect; wrist circumfrence might be a bit too narrow, but that's probably the result of the three buttons (undo the last button and the sleeve will sit better on the hand perhaps, but this is nitpicky); ideally you'd want to have a slightly slimmer upper sleeve to match the slimness of the body of the shirt (but this is hard to achieve in a remote MTM shirt, and again, this is just nitpicky). Overall, I'd say that this is a fantastic shirt. I like the slim fit -- you can pull it off since you are young and not fat yet. Also, fabric number please. Blousiness at the waist? Are you kidding me? A shirt can't fit like a second skin for God's sake.
smile.gif

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Blousiness at the waist? Â Are you kidding me? Â A shirt can't fit like a second skin for God's sake.
smile.gif
Ahh, but isn't that what we all strive for? Don't discount perfection. Dan

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
(Panzeraxe @ Jan. 31 2005,18:47) I like the fabric. - what code is that on Jantzen's website?
The fabric is: French Oxford #1, Blue & White French Oxford 110's, 2 Ply, 100% Italian Cotton
frenchxlightbluexxbig.jpg
http://www.jantzentailor.com/frenchoxford01.htm Really a nice looking fabric. Â Great texture.
Thank you - looks much better in person. I think I may order this one next.

skeptic

Reaction score
That's a close to perfect fit. However, after laundering it will probably shrink 2-3% which means your sleeves will be too short. (This happened to me after ordering my first mytailor.com shirt (not Jantzen)--the sleeves shrunk a whole inch, but the collar only 1/4 inch (< 2%).)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the button holes are the first thing I noticed, so I would say that they may be a little flashy for a dress shirt.  But maybe the inclusion of a tie will negate that.  Can the shirt be worn untucked, or is it too long?

Kinda funny how the swatch that they used has a run in it.

Dan
I don't think the button holes will be too bad - like you guys said, they would be covered with a tie, and they do add a little different touch for a casual shirt. I'll make sure to specify differently next time - no harm, no foul. The shirt can be worn untucked, it's a little long, but it still looks fine.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Great shirt. The fit is awesome. I think the blue buttonholes are a nice touch as well.

I received my order of two shirts today, and they are the best fitting shirts I've ever worn. Maybe I'll even post pictures.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you - looks much better in person. I think I may order this one next.
Yeah, the fabric looks like an electric blue on the website, but if you stand back from the monitor a ways, it seems to mellow out. Still not as vivid as on the site.

It's got a beautiful sheen to it, looks like fabrics I've seen on Brioni and Zegna shirts. I think it will look great with a light yellow tie, with some darker yellow accents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads