• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My issues with soccer

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
Come and play for my local team in England,where you go past the defender and he whispers in your ear "go past me again and I will snap your f**king legs in two" and he means it.And when he tries,you can roll around all you like because the ref won't do anything in case he gets whacked himself.
FACT:6,000 amateur referees quit last year because of the violent nature of the games.
So don't spout about something you know f**k all about.
For the record,last season I needed 9 stitches in my eye,broke 2 toes,and dislocated my wrist.
So if you think its gay you can gladly come and stay with me for the weekend and I will get you in a game.

wow tough guy. I don't give a **** what goes on the loser beer league. On TV, you see people dive, act up a storm, and get back up. So shut up and go back to your pack of troglodytes and get 20 more stiches for all I care.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The problem with futbol being a "gentleman's game" is that it tries to pass itself off as a "sport". Which inherently cannot be played by gentlemen. Because "sport" is the very antithesis of gentlemanly behavior. This world cup has been very ungentlemanly as a whole.

Gentleman's Games: Trivial Pursuit, quail hunting, croquet, the Stock Market.

Sports: American (and Aussie Rules) football, rugby, boxing, basketball, jousting, and greco roman wrestling.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
wow tough guy. I don't give a **** what goes on the loser beer league. On TV, you see people dive, act up a storm, and get back up. So shut up and go back to your pack of troglodytes and get 20 more stiches for all I care.

A homophobic violinist,now there's something you don't see everyday.Maybe you were bullied at school and are fighting your inner feelings(a la American Beauty).
www.manchester-league.co.uk
This is where I play,I get paid £40 per game which is neither here nor there but it is hardly "loser beer league".Having said that at least those "losers" are making the effort to get there arses off the sofa pull on a strip and actually get some physical excercise,which on my last visit to the US I thought a lot of you guys could do with.
And finally a message to most of the negative posters on this thread,does your TV not have an off button?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A homophobic violinist,now there's something you don't see everyday.Maybe you were bullied at school and are fighting your inner feelings(a la American Beauty).
www.manchester-league.co.uk
This is where I play,I get paid £40 per game which is neither here nor there but it is hardly "loser beer league".Having said that at least those "losers" are making the effort to get there arses off the sofa pull on a strip and actually get some physical excercise,which on my last visit to the US I thought a lot of you guys could do with.
And finally a message to most of the negative posters on this thread,does your TV not have an off button?

wow I'm sure the premier leagues are just moments away for you. Actually, my friends and I did most of the bullying. Since your league is probably made up mostly of drunk mancs, that would definately make you a bunch of drunk losers. I played a lot of contact sports when I was younger so injury is not a foreign concept to me. My knees have been dislocated 3 times (twice on the right), I've gotten a dislocated shoulder, countless jammed fingers, and a torn ligament in my knee. No one said soccer is a sissy sport. I, along with many of us have been saying that the way grown men in that sport act with all their rediculous theatrics is just downright pathetic. Does that mean that the sports I like to watch (hockey, basketball, tennis) do not have some elements of patheticism? Of course they do, I was just pointing out one of the reasons I can't stand to watch soccer.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow I'm sure the premier leagues are just moments away for you. Actually, my friends and I did most of the bullying. Since your league is probably made up mostly of drunk mancs, that would definately make you a bunch of drunk losers. I played a lot of contact sports when I was younger so injury is not a foreign concept to me. My knees have been dislocated 3 times (twice on the right), I've gotten a dislocated shoulder, countless jammed fingers, and a torn ligament in my knee. No one said soccer is a sissy sport. I, along with many of us have been saying that the way grown men in that sport act with all their rediculous theatrics is just downright pathetic. Does that mean that the sports I like to watch (hockey, basketball, tennis) do not have some elements of patheticism? Of course they do, I was just pointing out one of the reasons I can't stand to watch soccer.
Your opening gambit was "soccer's gay",if that is not saying football is a sissy sport I must go back to school immediately and maybe learn the violin.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your opening gambit was "soccer's gay",if that is not saying football is a sissy sport I must go back to school immediately and maybe learn the violin.

yea you should, then you wouldn't be bragging about earning 40 quid playing kick ball with a bunch of failures.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
futbol is a gentleman's game.

Actually, it is definitely not a gentleman's game. In fact, it is very much a lower class game. This is most obvious in the home of football, the UK, but it is equally obvious elsewhere. Football is a cheap sport to play -- it just requires a ball and enough space to kick the ball around. It is incredibly democratic in this respect. The reason that Brazil is continually dominant in football is because it is a large country with plenty of space, a large population, and not much money, but enough social infrastructure to keep things organized. Same with Argentina. These countries will always have a demographic advantage in football.

Oddly, the one country where football actually is a gentleman's sport (i.e. a sport for the more affluent) is the US.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea you should, then you wouldn't be bragging about earning 40 quid playing kick ball with a bunch of failures.
I am not bragging you moron,I was making a point that it is a good standard at which I play.
I play football as a hobby not a profession so any payment whatsoever is a bonus.You obviously have delusions that playing a fiddle makes you in some way superior,well I won't reply to you again as you are boring me and probably everyone who is reading this thread.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not bragging you moron,I was making a point that it is a good standard at which I play.
I play football as a hobby not a profession so any payment whatsoever is a bonus.You obviously have delusions that playing a fiddle makes you in some way superior,well I won't reply to you again as you are boring me and probably everyone who is reading this thread.

whatever Beckham. Playing the "fiddle" doesn't make me superior to you. The fact that you're a moron makes me superior to you. I have never mentioned my instrument as a point of reference whatsoever. You're the one threatening to come beat me up wherever I live.

In North America, when someone says "this is gay", it is very much like saying "this is stupid". Gay, among the younger crowd, is a very benign term. But of course, for someone as hyper masculine with testicles the size of elephants the term must be very threatening.

I'm sure you're a great baller. The guys who play basketball on the street are very rough too, but if people in the NBA were dipping and doing a Sir Lawrence Olivier every time someone breathed in their viscinity, I'd say the same. Get over it.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Soccer, football, and basketball are all lubbers' sports for peasants to while the time away in the desolation of the barren, landlocked wastes where they raise their crops or livestock.

Those of us raised on waterfront properties prefer sailing, kayaking, and the sport of kings, surfing. You tough guys can go ahead and kick each other in the shins and act like drama queens to your hearts' contents, but you ain't never lived till you've been dragged across a coral reef by a 10' wave.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imagine the NBA championship settled by a free throw contest, or the World Series by a home run derby, NFL by a FG kicking contest....
I'm sorry, I really really really tried to get into the World Cup this year, and I certainly admire the obvious athleticism and stamina it must take to play the sport at this elite level. Just too many goofy rules and annoying aspects for me to enjoy it.

koji

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Soccer, football, and basketball are all lubbers' sports for peasants to while the time away in the desolation of the barren, landlocked wastes where they raise their crops or livestock.

Those of us raised on waterfront properties prefer sailing, kayaking, and the sport of kings, surfing. You tough guys can go ahead and kick each other in the shins and act like drama queens to your hearts' contents, but you ain't never lived till you've been dragged across a coral reef by a 10' wave.

yea, those blonde surfer guys are some of the toughest motherfuckers around. I've seen some coral injuries... like getting stabbed with a serated knife.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of things that are gay, I think American football has a lot of homosexual undertones. I mean, if you think about it, it's a bunch of guys in tights and fishnet shirts jumping all over each other trying to grab some ball. There's even one point where a guy bends over for another while that other guy reaches in between his legs from behind trying to grab a ball.
devil.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Actually, it is definitely not a gentleman's game. In fact, it is very much a lower class game. This is most obvious in the home of football, the UK, but it is equally obvious elsewhere. Football is a cheap sport to play -- it just requires a ball and enough space to kick the ball around. It is incredibly democratic in this respect. The reason that Brazil is continually dominant in football is because it is a large country with plenty of space, a large population, and not much money, but enough social infrastructure to keep things organized. Same with Argentina. These countries will always have a demographic advantage in football.

Oddly, the one country where football actually is a gentleman's sport (i.e. a sport for the more affluent) is the US.

i do not equate being a gentleman with having money. once a footballer steps onto the field, he is expected to behave as a gentleman. this is why throwing an elbow gets you sent off, and insulting anyone on the field, even your own teammate, gets you a card.

as i understand it, the originals rules of futbol were drawn up by a commitee from some of the schools in england that are so revered in this country. eton college, cambridge, etc... rugby was one of the original schools, but they wanted the rules to include carrying the ball, so they broke off and created a different sport.

there is a big difference between the way the game is currently allowed to be played, and the way it is meant to be played.

PS
if you think brazil is good because they have a lot of open space and no money, well, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads