1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My issues with soccer

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Mr. Checks, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Distinguished Member

Well, soccer is boring. But, so is baseball. So is football. The average "action" (during the play) in football takes about 4 seconds. The rest of the time is spent watching a bunch of beasts haul themselves off the ground and stroll back to the huddle. Then they lumber up to the line. One guy places his hands in parts of another guy that would be suspect in any other setting. Then they have 4 more seconds of "action." Wow! What excitement! [​IMG]

You're missing all the good stuff in-between, like when John Madden says: "To get to the quarterback you have to get to the quarterback" and stuff like that.

Not to mention the commercials.

[​IMG]

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

Yesteday's Italy/US game pretty much highlighted everything I find annoying about soccer that prevents me from really being a fan.

koji

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

You're missing all the good stuff in-between, like when John Madden says: "To get to the quarterback you have to get to the quarterback" and stuff like that.

Not to mention the commercials.

[​IMG]

The one thing I give immense credit to soccer for: NO COMMERCIALS!

koji

4. Walter

Walter Senior Member

The game is properly called "Football". Please do as you do for clothing terminology and use the proper name for it.

5. Etienne

Etienne Distinguished Member

College basketball I love, but I went to a Big Ten college, so again, its hard not to get caught up in it.
    I am not a sports fan. I only watch my own sport (fencing) whenever I get the chance (which is not often) and the occasional rugby match. Never was a big fan of football, although I can really understand how it can excite passion.

That being said, basketball is probably one of the worst sports for me. There are simply too many points, you get the (inaccurate) impression that the strategy is very poor. Makes me felle like I am watching an accountants' duel. Then of course they further that impression with all those stats... I have the same complaints, more or less, for handball.

6. Etienne

One guy places his hands in parts of another guy that would be suspect in any other setting. Then they have 4 more seconds of "action."
    Four Seconds! Sounds like (ahem) P.E. to me![​IMG]

OK, now I get it. Now I know what some Americans mean when they deride football as a women's sport.

We all know, of course, that all sport is merely a metaphor for sex. Well, football is the female view of sex when American football is the male view. It all makes sense. On the one hand, 45 minutes of foreplay, then one single major "goal/orgasm", repeat only once. On the other hand, a lot of posturing but only 4 seconds of action, then repeat again and again.

7. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

OK, now I get it. Now I know what some Americans mean when they deride football as a women's sport.

We all know, of course, that all sport is merely a metaphor for sex. Well, football is the female view of sex when American football is the male view. It all makes sense. On the one hand, 45 minutes of foreplay, then one single major "goal/orgasm", repeat only once. On the other hand, a lot of posturing but only 4 seconds of action, then repeat again and again.

Hah.

The game is properly called "Football". Please do as you do for clothing terminology and use the proper name for it.
    Suspenders keep up my pants, not my socks. Had the Brits taken on the correct meaning of 'braces,' they would not be the butt of so many jokes. Soccer is apparently for both chicks and snooty Europeans, but I guess that's not news.

Tom

8. Etienne

Soccer is apparently for both chicks and snooty Europeans, but I guess that's not news.
    Don't you put a little too much importance in language differences?

And just in case you are at least semi-serious, football is definitely not for "snooty Europeans". Snooty Europeans, like myself, are of course snobbishly despising that most popular of sports. The game is for working-class Europeans (and South Americans, and Africans, and Asians).

9. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Don't you put a little too much importance in language differences?

And just in case you are at least semi-serious, football is definitely not for "snooty Europeans". Snooty Europeans, like myself, are of course snobbishly despising that most popular of sports. The game is for working-class Europeans (and South Americans, and Africans, and Asians).

Nope, not even a little serious [​IMG] Sure sounded like Walter was though.

10. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior Member

Soccer is actually a very physically demanding sport, though the refs don´t allow the physical bashing in US football.

Of course, to win it´s best to follow the Italian strategy:

Steve

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

I refuse to believe thats real

12. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

That video is clearly staged.

As for soccer, I have this to say: Germany didn't score for OVER FOUR HOURS OF PLAY, and almost advanced. Something is wrong with that.

13. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Guys, I'm pretty sure the video is just supposed to be a joke. And it's a funny one. [​IMG]

I will say that, at the advice of friends, I gave football/soccer yet another try this year, and my opinion of the sport has been upgraded: I now think it's a decent highlight-reel sport. I still don't ever want to watch an entire game again. And I have confirmed my opinion that the sport would be immeasurably better if they allowed some form of body-checking, a la hockey. [​IMG] The passion of the game's fans is great, though.

14. Violinist

Violinist Distinguished Member

Soccer's gay. I'm sick of seeing grown men lie on the ground clutching themselves like they've been shot with a twelve guage then being totally fine 30 seconds later.

15. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

That video is clearly staged.

As for soccer, I have this to say: Germany didn't score for OVER FOUR HOURS OF PLAY, and almost advanced. Something is wrong with that.

Actually, I think they were saying that Portugal had the longest run in World Cup history without scoring a goal.