• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My issues with soccer

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
Well, soccer is boring. But, so is baseball. So is football. The average "action" (during the play) in football takes about 4 seconds. The rest of the time is spent watching a bunch of beasts haul themselves off the ground and stroll back to the huddle. Then they lumber up to the line. One guy places his hands in parts of another guy that would be suspect in any other setting. Then they have 4 more seconds of "action." Wow! What excitement!
sarcasm.gif

You're missing all the good stuff in-between, like when John Madden says: "To get to the quarterback you have to get to the quarterback" and stuff like that.

Not to mention the commercials.

sarcasm.gif

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesteday's Italy/US game pretty much highlighted everything I find annoying about soccer that prevents me from really being a fan.

koji

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
You're missing all the good stuff in-between, like when John Madden says: "To get to the quarterback you have to get to the quarterback" and stuff like that.

Not to mention the commercials.

sarcasm.gif

The one thing I give immense credit to soccer for: NO COMMERCIALS!

koji

Walter

Reaction score
The game is properly called "Football". Please do as you do for clothing terminology and use the proper name for it.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
College basketball I love, but I went to a Big Ten college, so again, its hard not to get caught up in it.
I am not a sports fan. I only watch my own sport (fencing) whenever I get the chance (which is not often) and the occasional rugby match. Never was a big fan of football, although I can really understand how it can excite passion.

That being said, basketball is probably one of the worst sports for me. There are simply too many points, you get the (inaccurate) impression that the strategy is very poor. Makes me felle like I am watching an accountants' duel. Then of course they further that impression with all those stats... I have the same complaints, more or less, for handball.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Originally Posted by bachbeet
One guy places his hands in parts of another guy that would be suspect in any other setting. Then they have 4 more seconds of "action."
Four Seconds! Sounds like (ahem) P.E. to me!
laugh.gif

OK, now I get it. Now I know what some Americans mean when they deride football as a women's sport.

We all know, of course, that all sport is merely a metaphor for sex. Well, football is the female view of sex when American football is the male view. It all makes sense. On the one hand, 45 minutes of foreplay, then one single major "goal/orgasm", repeat only once. On the other hand, a lot of posturing but only 4 seconds of action, then repeat again and again.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
OK, now I get it. Now I know what some Americans mean when they deride football as a women's sport.

We all know, of course, that all sport is merely a metaphor for sex. Well, football is the female view of sex when American football is the male view. It all makes sense. On the one hand, 45 minutes of foreplay, then one single major "goal/orgasm", repeat only once. On the other hand, a lot of posturing but only 4 seconds of action, then repeat again and again.

Hah.

Originally Posted by Walter
The game is properly called "Football". Please do as you do for clothing terminology and use the proper name for it.
Suspenders keep up my pants, not my socks. Had the Brits taken on the correct meaning of 'braces,' they would not be the butt of so many jokes. Soccer is apparently for both chicks and snooty Europeans, but I guess that's not news.

Tom

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Soccer is apparently for both chicks and snooty Europeans, but I guess that's not news.
Don't you put a little too much importance in language differences?

And just in case you are at least semi-serious, football is definitely not for "snooty Europeans". Snooty Europeans, like myself, are of course snobbishly despising that most popular of sports. The game is for working-class Europeans (and South Americans, and Africans, and Asians).

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Don't you put a little too much importance in language differences?

And just in case you are at least semi-serious, football is definitely not for "snooty Europeans". Snooty Europeans, like myself, are of course snobbishly despising that most popular of sports. The game is for working-class Europeans (and South Americans, and Africans, and Asians).

Nope, not even a little serious
smile.gif
Sure sounded like Walter was though.

pinchi22

Reaction score
Soccer is actually a very physically demanding sport, though the refs don´t allow the physical bashing in US football.

Of course, to win it´s best to follow the Italian strategy:

Steve

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Guys, I'm pretty sure the video is just supposed to be a joke. And it's a funny one.
smile.gif

I will say that, at the advice of friends, I gave football/soccer yet another try this year, and my opinion of the sport has been upgraded: I now think it's a decent highlight-reel sport. I still don't ever want to watch an entire game again. And I have confirmed my opinion that the sport would be immeasurably better if they allowed some form of body-checking, a la hockey.
frown.gif
The passion of the game's fans is great, though.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soccer's gay. I'm sick of seeing grown men lie on the ground clutching themselves like they've been shot with a twelve guage then being totally fine 30 seconds later.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
That video is clearly staged.

As for soccer, I have this to say: Germany didn't score for OVER FOUR HOURS OF PLAY, and almost advanced. Something is wrong with that.

Actually, I think they were saying that Portugal had the longest run in World Cup history without scoring a goal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads