• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my introduction and questions about suits

bankermonkey

Reaction score
At the moment im in school majoring in accounting hoping to land a job as an analyst at a BB bank. even though i have some time before i graduate, i figured i would take an early start to better understand how to dress. As im learning and reading this forum i will periodically create threads and ask questions so please bear with me. by the way, any other ibankers here please feel more than welcome to chime in

suit colors

i have heard that you should stick to grey and dark blue suits. i was curious to know why not black? is black too formal for business? is it because its oriented mainly with religious functions like funerals? would a black suit be more for a closing dinner?

is there a difference between charcoal and grey?

are pinstripes frowned upon?

suit cuts

as i plan on buying bespoke suits theres a few things i would like to know -

i read that bespoke suits will not have a belt?

what is lapel pick stitching?

what are ticket pockets?

what are working button holes?

now ive read that lapel pick stitching, ticket pockets and working button holes are "somewhat obvious and too much for a junior banker" , as i dont understand what these are could someone explain and show me pictures. i dont get what the big deal is

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bankermonkey
i will periodically create threads and ask questions so please bear with me.

No. Don't start threads. Read more old threads.

The questions you have asked have been answered 20x in threads on the first page alone.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First rule of SF: Search before you ask. While I am here already, I will give you the answers, but search first.
Originally Posted by bankermonkey
At the moment im in school majoring in accounting hoping to land a job as an analyst at a BB bank. even though i have some time before i graduate, i figured i would take an early start to better understand how to dress. As im learning and reading this forum i will periodically create threads and ask questions so please bear with me. by the way, any other ibankers here please feel more than welcome to chime in suit colors i have heard that you should stick to grey and dark blue suits. i was curious to know why not black? is black too formal for business? is it because its oriented mainly with religious functions like funerals? would a black suit be more for a closing dinner?
black suit = funeral, wedding, or Russian mob
is there a difference between charcoal and grey?
Charcoal is much darker than grey
are pinstripes frowned upon?
In general, it's fine. However, Some few think that pinstripe suit attracts attention, so you shouldn't wear them if you're at the starting position.
suit cuts as i plan on buying bespoke suits theres a few things i would like to know - i read that bespoke suits will not have a belt?
It's bespoke, you make it anyway you want.
what is lapel pick stitching?
silk thread sewn along the lapels, often done by hand -> indication of workmanship.
what are ticket pockets?
A smaller pocket above one normal pocket. (just google image it)
what are working button holes?
At the cuffs of the jacket, many mass produced suit has only buttons sewn in but they don't work at all. Just sit there. Working buttons = you can unbutton them.
now ive read that lapel pick stitching, ticket pockets and working button holes are "somewhat obvious and too much for a junior banker" , as i dont understand what these are could someone explain and show me pictures. i dont get what the big deal is
No they're all details to show workmanship of the suit. Most people don't recognize them anyway.

bankermonkey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
No. Don't start threads. Read more old threads.

The questions you have asked have been answered 20x in threads on the first page alone.

X2

someone answer OP's questions

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best question of the year:

"What are working button holes?"

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
arent analysts expected to do research?

Where I work they are!!!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
First rule of SF: Search before you ask.
Well then don't encourage the lazy behaviour.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
arent analysts expected to do research?

Not in Wall St., hence ****** situation of the economy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads