• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My insights on ordering from ModernTailor

BostonElitist

Reaction score
Hello:

Today, I received my second ever order from ModernTailor.com. They are really good, however, to measure yourself up using their conventions is very tricky. The mistakes can be quite costly, and you may be left with a useless shirt that's slightly short for you.

On their website and using their own measurement guide, we see that they have 4 different ways to measure your dimensions. Some times, the methods to measure yourself contradict themselves. This is what I think:
1. Even though they recommend that you measure your best shirt, I say "DON'T DO THIS." I say to instead use your exact measurements for *SOME* of the measurements. Depending on whether you'd like your shirt as a slim, regular, or loose fit, they will take the liberty to add either 4.7", 6.3", or 7.9" to hip, waist and chest measurements, respectively. Therefore, by giving them the dimensions of your best fitted shirt, you're actually "Double-dipping" sizes, and your finalized product would be a little bigger than you had expected. Because I measured my favorite bespoke tailored shirt, my Slim-Fit that I ordered came out as a Relaxed-Fit.
2. For certain parameters, you want to provide them your EXACT dimensions. For the neck, wrist, and length, you should provide them the exact dimensions of your favorite shirt. However...
3. ...for the other dimensions, you DON'T want to give them the dimensions of your favorite fitted shirt.

Here is an example of their MEASUREMENTS Page, and I will clarify how to take the measurement.

1. Collar - Take the exact collar measurement that you normally wear (i.e. 15.5"). THIS IS AN EXACT MEASUREMENT, AND THEY WILL NOT ADD ANY MATERIAL/LENGTH TO THIS.
2. Half Chest - Take your full chest measurement, and keep a little slack. Divide this number by 2.
3. Half Waist - Take your full waist measurement AT THE NAVAL AREA, and keep a little slack. Divide this number by 2. Your waist measured at the naval is a lot bigger than where you keep your pants.
4. Half Hip - Take your full hip measurement, and keep a little slack. Divide this number by 2. This number maybe only slightly larger than the waist (measured at the naval).
5A. Left Sleeve Length - Measure from shoulder all the way to just below where your thumb and pointer finger meet. THIS IS AN EXACT MEASUREMENT, AND THEY WILL NOT ADD ANY MATERIAL/LENGTH TO THIS.
5B. Right Sleeve Length - Just like (5).
6. Half Bicep - Measure your entire bicep at the fattest/thickest. Divide by 2.
7A. Left Cuffs - THIS IS AN EXACT MEASUREMENT, AND THEY WILL NOT ADD ANY MATERIAL/LENGTH TO THIS. So you should measure the length of the cuff of your favorite shirt from the button to the button hole.
7B. Right Cuffs - Same as 7A.
8. Yoke - one shoulder to the other. I PERSONALLY THINK THAT THIS ALSO AN EXACT MEASUREMENT, EVEN THOUGH THEIR MEASUREMENT GUIDE DOESN'T MENTION THIS (http://www.moderntailor.com/common/measure_guide.pdf ).
9. Shoulder - one shoulder to the collar/neck area. I PERSONALLY THINK THAT THIS ALSO AN EXACT MEASUREMENT, EVEN THOUGH THEIR MEASUREMENT GUIDE DOESN'T MENTION THIS

10. Shirt Length - THIS IS AN EXACT MEASUREMENT, AND THEY WILL NOT ADD ANY MATERIAL/LENGTH TO THIS. So it's a good idea to measure your favorite shirt's length. The length that they recommend is a little shorter than how a shirt should be. They recommend 29.5", but I think that it should be more like 31".
11. Armhole - THIS IS AN EXACT MEASUREMENT, AND THEY WILL NOT ADD ANY MATERIAL/LENGTH TO THIS. So it's a good idea to measure your favorite shirt's length. Also, this is a curved measurement.

Does anyone have any insights on this? The two shirts which came today are slightly loose at the stomach, and they both certainly DO NOT look like a SLIM FIT. They resemble Relaxed fit. Well, at least I know now.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonElitist
1. Even though they recommend that you measure your best shirt, I say "DON'T DO THIS." I say to instead use your exact measurements for *SOME* of the measurements. Depending on whether you'd like your shirt as a slim, regular, or loose fit, they will take the liberty to add either 4.7", 6.3", or 7.9" to hip, waist and chest measurements, respectively. Therefore, by giving them the dimensions of your best fitted shirt, you're actually "Double-dipping" sizes, and your finalized product would be a little bigger than you had expected. Because I measured my favorite bespoke tailored shirt, my Slim-Fit that I ordered came out as a Relaxed-Fit.
Err, if you're measuring a shirt they shouldn't add anything to the measurements, except maybe a small amount to account for shrinkage, certainly not as much as 4/6/7 inches. Are you sure you chose a 'clothing' measurements profile and not a 'body' profile? If you use a 'body' profile then they will obviously add to the measurements.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Are you sure you chose a 'clothing' measurements profile and not a 'body' profile?

+1

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Err, if you're measuring a shirt they shouldn't add anything to the measurements, except maybe a small amount to account for shrinkage, certainly not as much as 4/6/7 inches.

+1

BostonElitist

Reaction score
Err, if you're measuring a shirt they shouldn't add anything to the measurements, except maybe a small amount to account for shrinkage, certainly not as much as 4/6/7 inches. Are you sure you chose a 'clothing' measurements profile and not a 'body' profile? If you use a 'body' profile then they will obviously add to the measurements.

Hello Sanguis,

I never knew about this "BODY" measurement option. I will give this method a try. Prior to this, the 3 previous shirts have all been "CLOTHING" measurements. It's a lot safer, IMHO, to use the "BODY".

Here is my question to you: My wrist size is 7.5". Should I list that under CUFF, or should I put in 8.5", since that is how wide I prefer my cuffs?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10. Shirt Length - THIS IS AN EXACT MEASUREMENT, AND THEY WILL NOT ADD ANY MATERIAL/LENGTH TO THIS. So it's a good idea to measure your favorite shirt's length. The length that they recommend is a little shorter than how a shirt should be. They recommend 29.5", but I think that it should be more like 31".

+1

Bentley

Reaction score
The whole process looks far too complicated for my liking.

I'd be reluctant to buy a made to measure shirt online for exactly the kind of problems you're describing- there is no opportunity to visit the tailor, try the shirt on, have him make adjustments, etc.

Your left with receiving your item in the mail and then either liking it or not.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

BostonElitist

Reaction score
Bentley \tThe whole process looks far too complicated for my liking.
I'd be reluctant to buy a made to measure shirt online for exactly the kind of problems you're describing- there is no opportunity to visit the tailor, try the shirt on, have him make adjustments, etc.
Your left with receiving your item in the mail and then either liking it or not.
Sorry to hear about your experience.

Hello Bentley,

I think that the shirts are nice, and if you properly took your own measurements, they will fit better, look better, and be of a higher quality than what you can get at Banana Republic or Brook Brothers.

I wish that I had known about how to get fitted for a shirt. However, the 3rd time I buy a shirt (the shirt would be my 4th shirt), I think that I'll get it right.

jbharris88

Reaction score

Does anyone have any insights on this? The two shirts which came today are slightly loose at the stomach, and they both certainly DO NOT look like a SLIM FIT. They resemble Relaxed fit. Well, at least I know now.

The shirts I have received used measurements taken from my best fitting shirt. They were exact and MT did not change a single one. The precision was almost remarkable that no measure strayed even 1/16 an inch. The same goes for pants - I got EXACTLY what ordered. I know the profile gives you the option to select slim fit, etc. on the final screen but I'm not sure this makes a difference since they are not adding anything to your exacting measurements.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
As a potential MT customer, this is somewhat worrisome. Some people are saying their measurements have been changed, and some people are saying they receive a shirt with exactly the measurements they specified. It's hard to sort this out.

kraftar

Reaction score
I just received 2 shirts from them (my first order). I used the clothing measurement option and they got almost everything correct except the armholes were 2cm too small. I contacted customer serivce... they had me send in some photos of the shirt & measurements (which confirmed it was their mistake), and had me ship the shirts back to them so they could either fix the mistake or remake the shirt.
So, yes, they don't always get it right but their customer service is very helpful and you shouldn't get stuck with an ill-fitting shirt if it was their mistake.

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
I just received 2 shirts from them (my first order). I used the clothing measurement option and they got almost everything correct except the armholes were 2cm too small. I contacted customer serivce... they had me send in some photos of the shirt & measurements (which confirmed it was their mistake), and had me ship the shirts back to them so they could either fix the mistake or remake the shirt.
So, yes, they don't always get it right but their customer service is very helpful and you shouldn't get stuck with an ill-fitting shirt if it was their mistake.

But the process of having to pack the shirt up, schlep down to the post office, send it back, ...

Sounds like a pain in the neck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads