• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My idea of a six pack

cuffthis

Reaction score
1. 1996 Poniatowski Aigle Blanc Vouvray - God bless Chenin Blanc, the value of long lived whites. 2. 1998 Domaine Vincent Girardin Savigny-Les-Beaune "Les Vermots Dessus" - the white Burgundy all California Chards aspire to be. 3. 2000 Chateau Palmer, Margaux - "only" 96 points from RP, but can I wait until 2008+? 4. 2001 Clarendon Hills "Brookman Vineyard" Syrah - A RP 94, and based on the first 2 bottles, this one is ready to be drunk now, as well as later. Stunning Aussie Shiraz, made the Old World way. 5. 2001 Henry's Drive Reserve Shiraz Padthaway - another 96 pointer from RP. Made by winemakers Sarah and Sparky Marquis (of Marquis-Phillips fame) - hint, Baby ChickPea - pass on by this BIG wine. 6. Warre's 1977 Vintage Port (made when I was 13). Still youthful as a 28 year old. And what are YOU drinking at your abode?

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I just drank a bottle of 1990 Dom Perignon and enjoyed it a great deal.

cuffthis

Reaction score
I just drank a bottle of 1990 Dom Perignon and enjoyed it a great deal.
NV Diebolt-Vallois Blanc de Blancs

Ever try this? It is not vintage Champagne, but for $28, it has a lot of the charateristics of name brand vintage champagne. And at $28 per bottle, well, try it, and you decide which is the better value. And then let us know what you think.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some very nice wines there.

Here's mine -- I happened upon the bargain bin at my local wine store, Bassin's MacArthur Liquors in DC, this past Saturday. I've often found stunning bin-end deals, or deals on "leakers" or scuffed labels. Saturday was a good day for older Burgundies:

3 btl: 1992 Raveneau Chablis, Montee de Tonnerre ($39.95/btl) (I'm going to open one of these tonight to see how these are generally.)

1 btl: 1992 Raveneau Chablis, Valmur ($59.95/btl)

2 btl: 1990 Leroy, Vosne-Romanee "Le Beau-Monts" ($79.95/btl)

cuffthis

Reaction score
Some very nice  wines there.  Here's mine -- I happened upon the bargain bin at my local wine store, Bassin's MacArthur Liquors in DC, this past Saturday.  I've often found stunning bin-end deals, or deals on "leakers" or scuffed labels.  Saturday was a good day for older Burgundies: 3 btl:  1992 Raveneau Chablis, Montee de Tonnerre ($39.95/btl) (I'm going to open one of these tonight to see how these are generally.) 1 btl:  1992 Raveneau Chablis, Valmur ($59.95/btl) 2 btl:  1990 Leroy, Vosne-Romanee "Le Beau-Monts" ($79.95/btl)
I am always hesitant to buy vintage wines at stores. I am always afraid of how it was stored the last 5-10 years. Let us know how these wines are. I'd be glad to help you drink them.
wink.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(kabert @ April 04 2005,07:18) Some very nice  wines there.  Here's mine -- I happened upon the bargain bin at my local wine store, Bassin's MacArthur Liquors in DC, this past Saturday.  I've often found stunning bin-end deals, or deals on "leakers" or scuffed labels.  Saturday was a good day for older Burgundies: 3 btl:  1992 Raveneau Chablis, Montee de Tonnerre ($39.95/btl) (I'm going to open one of these tonight to see how these are generally.) 1 btl:  1992 Raveneau Chablis, Valmur ($59.95/btl) 2 btl:  1990 Leroy, Vosne-Romanee "Le Beau-Monts" ($79.95/btl)
I am always hesitant to buy vintage wines at stores. I am always afraid of how it was stored the last 5-10 years. Let us know how these wines are. I'd be glad to help you drink them. :wink:
Last night, I opened the '92 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre (a chardonnay from Chablis, in France's Burgundy region). It was in amazing condition for a 13 year old chardonnay. The opposite of oaky/buttery California chardonnay, this wine was more about lemon-cream pie, tangy and full-bodied. Should last for many more years. For anyone interested, 1992 was a terrible year in Bordeaux, so it generally gets a bad rap overall as a vintage. However, because the chardonnay grapes in Burgundy were harvested before the rains came (which ruined the vintage for Bordeaux and most its red-wine grapes, such as cabernet and merlot), 1992 ended up being a great year for white Burgundy wines.

Lysaer

Reaction score
Wow, you guys really follow wine seriously.

Any other recommendations like that nice champagne for 2$29.95 for wines? I generally have a palate (is that right?) for shiraz. I don't really like white wine.

And can anyone explain, if you know, why the market has suddenly been flooded with tons of different Australian vineyards selling shiraz? I can get a huge bottle at my local liquor store for $13. It's a steal, my sister and I are loving the competition.

Any explanations?

tgfny

Reaction score
Fun in my cellar. 1970 Warres, '75 Lafite, '66 Margaux. (All are drinking well right now.) Holding '70 and '72 Figeac. '88 Leflaive Montrachet, '95 Vieux Telegraph. Daily wine, de la Chaize or Los Vascos Reserve, great 10 buck Chucks. Daily pagne, Gosset, have a couple of cases of their Grand Siecle '95 in the cellar in Scotland.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads