• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My hair!

Ascendancy

Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hey!

I have very big, poofy, frizzy curly hair. I hate it! Everyone says that it is beautiful hair to have and that I should love to want to keep it, but I don't. I found a product called one 'n only Curl Remover, and it looks really good. A lot of the reviews were very posotive towards it.

http://www.folica.com/one__n_only_Cur_d1009.html

That is the link to the page, if anybody wants to check it out.
 

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
2,114
Reaction score
1
Thanks for the tip! My hairdresser has no such problems, with this poster. But Rosemarie is always looking for great new products. I'll send her this link.
photo: Rosemarie Schubert. World's greatest hairdresser.
 

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
5,761
Reaction score
77
Just so you're aware, the product you are talking about is a perm. Make sure you follow the directions if you do it on your own.
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by Tck13
Just so you're aware, the product you are talking about is a perm. Make sure you follow the directions if you do it on your own.


Pffft! We don't need any directions!

 

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
5,761
Reaction score
77
Originally Posted by skalogre
Pffft! We don't need any directions!



Now that's what I'M talkin' about!
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by Tck13
Now that's what I'M talkin' about!

Hey, I'd do that but my moustache never comes in thick enough
 

ts4them

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
698
Reaction score
1
I've tried it, my hair reverted back within 2 weeks. Thumbs down from me.
 

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
5,761
Reaction score
77
Originally Posted by skalogre
Hey, I'd do that but my moustache never comes in thick enough


No one would notice your mustache if you wore that shirt!



I've tried it, my hair reverted back within 2 weeks. Thumbs down from me.
If this is an over the counter (drug store) product, it could be weak product or your hair could be strong and need longer processing than what the directions say. Virgin (not chemically processed) hair is stronger than chemically processed hair and might need a stronger product. Of course, after chemically processing the hair, care needs to be taken because the hair is more fragile.

The hair will go back to being curly as the hair grows out. A chemical process (straightening) needs to be done every couple of months to keep the hair looking straight. Plus, even after one uses a straightner like this one, it still usually takes some styling assistance (hair dryer) to get the hair perfectly straight.
 

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
2,114
Reaction score
1
Hi Ascendancy . . .

No, Rosemarie doesn't post anywhere that I know of. She's about ready to retire, too. Rosemarie came from Germany; her one on one training in 'the old country,' was a fascinating journey. She apprenticed for TWO YEARS, before actually touching a living person's hair. The coiffes that this woman produced for my mother, way back when, were works of art. She is able to make me look like I have more hair left on my head, than I have . . . and without any tricks. I've been blessed to have both a beautiful AND, supremely talented hairdresser, all my life.
 

ts4them

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
698
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Tck13
No one would notice your mustache if you wore that shirt!






If this is an over the counter (drug store) product, it could be weak product or your hair could be strong and need longer processing than what the directions say. Virgin (not chemically processed) hair is stronger than chemically processed hair and might need a stronger product. Of course, after chemically processing the hair, care needs to be taken because the hair is more fragile.

The hair will go back to being curly as the hair grows out. A chemical process (straightening) needs to be done every couple of months to keep the hair looking straight. Plus, even after one uses a straightner like this one, it still usually takes some styling assistance (hair dryer) to get the hair perfectly straight.

Actually, I *do* hair
. This product is like trying to straighten your hair w/ a perm- it just won't work. You need to use a true relaxer for longer lasting results. I prefer no-lye relaxers about every 3 months. Hot oil treatments once a week are perfect for relaxed hair.
 

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,745
Reaction score
251
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Hi Ascendancy . . .

No, Rosemarie doesn't post anywhere that I know of. She's about ready to retire, too. Rosemarie came from Germany; her one on one training in 'the old country,' was a fascinating journey. She apprenticed for TWO YEARS, before actually touching a living person's hair. The coiffes that this woman produced for my mother, way back when, were works of art. She is able to make me look like I have more hair left on my head, than I have . . . and without any tricks. I've been blessed to have both a beautiful AND, supremely talented hairdresser, all my life.

Interesting; sort of like Carita and Alexandre de Paris back in the halcyon days?
 

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
5,761
Reaction score
77
Originally Posted by ts4them
Actually, I *do* hair
. This product is like trying to straighten your hair w/ a perm- it just won't work. You need to use a true relaxer for longer lasting results. I prefer no-lye relaxers about every 3 months. Hot oil treatments once a week are perfect for relaxed hair.


Personally, I would never put a true relaxer on caucasion hair as it's not like ethnic hair. It's not nearly as oily or course. To have to use a hot oil treatment on hair once a week would mean the hair must be very damaged. I wouldn't want to push someone's hair that far. Too risky for me but if it works for you...
 

ts4them

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
698
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Tck13
Personally, I would never put a true relaxer on caucasion hair as it's not like ethnic hair. It's not nearly as oily or course. To have to use a hot oil treatment on hair once a week would mean the hair must be very damaged. I wouldn't want to push someone's hair that far. Too risky for me but if it works for you...
Yes, there is a trade-off, the hair will be *somewhat* damaged ( mostly just a little dry, certainly not even close to breaking). Re-texturizing hair allows you to create styles that you just can't get with 'big' and curly hair. It's worth it to me (and my clients)to do a treatment once a week in order to have hair that's straighter/de-volumized and more controllable for the long-term. It's definitely all about the timing, hair type (healthy coarse hair),and which product you use. My original point was that the above product will damage the hair as well (to a lesser degree), with absolutely NO long-term benefits, so why bother? Go to someone experienced in chemical straightening.
 

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
5,761
Reaction score
77
Originally Posted by ts4them
Yes, there is a trade-off, the hair will be *somewhat* damaged ( mostly just a little dry, certainly not even close to breaking). Re-texturizing hair allows you to create styles that you just can't get with 'big' and curly hair. It's worth it to me (and my clients)to do a treatment once a week in order to have hair that's straighter/de-volumized and more controllable for the long-term. It's definitely all about the timing, hair type (healthy coarse hair),and which product you use. My original point was that the above product will damage the hair as well (to a lesser degree), with absolutely NO long-term benefits, so why bother? Go to someone experienced in chemical straightening.

I've heard of new straightening products which are supposed to work well but take several hours to process. Don't know anything about them though.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
429,247
Messages
9,231,282
Members
193,771
Latest member
Shelcey
Top