My God, I hate the windsor knot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ZON_JR, Jan 18, 2010.

1. GucciKid

GucciKid Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

The right photo is significantly better. My poor photoshopping skills aside, the smaller knot is simply more elegant looking compared to the clumsy windsor, which draws too much attention to itself.

I have to disagree. The smallness of the four in hand there draws more attention to itself because of the cutaway collar.

2. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I have to disagree. The smallness of the four in hand there draws more attention to itself because of the cutaway collar.

+1, too many people equate finer/smaller with more elegant. In this case, a small knot puts the whole neck area out of proportion. The wider windsor makes his chest and neck look more robust. Using a FIH here gives a sort of 1960's skinny tie look in my opinion.

3. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

I don't get the love for Windsors either but I tend towards 3" and less ties. Even the widest is only 3.25.

4. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

God, this is called 'Style' Forum, please do not wear ties with button-down collar shirts.

5. Sander

Sander Senior member

Four in hand FTW.

That's the only collar with which the Windsor isn't wholly inappropriate. But even with a cutaway collar, the four-in-hand is generally the best option.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The right photo is significantly better. My poor photoshopping skills aside, the smaller knot is simply more elegant looking compared to the clumsy windsor, which draws too much attention to itself.

+ a billion.

6. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

+1

The knot on the left is strictly for clowns and assholes.

7. Loudly

Loudly Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Don't agree. I think the proportions are more harmonious in the original. [​IMG]

8. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Don't agree. I think the proportions are more harmonious in the original. [​IMG]

Hear, hear! What's with the hate?

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

God help me, I'm wearing a tie right now and forgot how I knotted it. I think I went four-in-hand, because it's a thick tie. But, don't hold me to it.

And yes, wearing a spread collar.

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

+1

11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

i cant stand the assymetric look of four-in-hand. i want to yank it straight off peoples necks
    How about a Pratt knot? It's one of the easiest knots to tie, smaller than a Windsor and perfectly symmetrical.

12. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

How about a Pratt knot? It's one of the easiest knots to tie, smaller than a Windsor and perfectly symmetrical.

I used to use a Pratt because my pencil neck + FIH = tie with longer narrow blade.

Now I just stopped caring. I guess that's my sprezz.

13. oman

oman Senior member

what's the one where you start by putting the tie around your neck backwards, with the underside facing out? that's the one i use

when completed, the thinner length of the tie (the bit that's hidden behind the broader length) also ends up facing backwards

what's this called, any ideas? it's asymmetrical, if that helps

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

+1

Too much shirt real estate showing

15. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

+1

Too much shirt real estate showing

POAL!