• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My funny (ex)housing situation and the lawsuit that may come out of it

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brief background: As my lease in my Evanston apartment came to an end, the tenants who rented the place after me approached me and asked if they could buy my furniture. I agreed to do that and she came and saw the furniture and wrote me a check for $325.

Fast forward to September 1st. They move in to find the apartment in a condition not in accordance with their standard of living (I've pasted the facebook message below where Lyz ("The New Tenant") harangues me for the condition of the place) and in order to avoid their lease call the Evanston public health department which condemns my former apartment.

Hi David,

I'm sorry to do this over facebook, and sorry to have to do this at all, truthfully. We need to talk about the apartment arrangement. You left 801 completely disguting and uninhabitable - why anyone could think they could leave an apartment with rotting meat in the fridge, empty alcohol bottles and grime everywhere after the new tenants have paid for your furniture and expected the apartment to be in reasonable shape is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

Marcy and her family arrived at the apartment to move in this morning and were completely taken aback at its condition. This was NOT our agreement. They've been cleaning all day and ultimately decided they had to throw away the microwave since it was so disgusting.They're disappoined, and mostly just pissed off. Much of this blame fell to me, since I made the arrangements with you. Thanks to your inconsiderate, disrespectful behavior, you've hurt my relationship with my roommate, my mother, her parents, and the building management.

Under the circumstances, I'm going respectfully request that you pay for a complete cleaning service for the apartment, as soon as possible. Also, since we had to throw out the microwave and there are only two chairs and a few other things are missing, I really think you should return some of our money.

Please call me at 1800-ima-**** as soon as you can so we can discuss this. And don't ignore this message.

Thanks,

My roommates response to all this is the one and only credited response:

Dear Lyz,

All sales final. Thirty-four fifty. Okay?

Kthxbye.

THE MANAGEMENT

LOL haha this is such a funny msg. I can see this all happening in my head like a movie.

It's a nice morning in Evanston. The sun is out, the sky is blue, and subtle smells of fresh baked Whole Foods bread and the chirp chirp sounds of frolicking birds compete for the senses. The camera pans to the Carlson Building, an old establishment of downtown Evanston now in its 78th year of service serving as home for both local business and their well to do clients. Outside, families are out, enjoying the weather and their Sunday morning.

No one pays notice to the attractive family of five as they pull up in their newly purchased BMW 7-Series.

"Marcy, I just love the styling on this building, Thank God you didn't inherit your Father's lackluster tastes."

"Yes mother, Elizabeth and myself were quite enthralled when we first visited as well."

The delight shared by the family did not abate as they walked into the splendid building. With Marcy's luggage in tow - a new Luis Vuitton set sent by Grandpapa for her 21st birthday - the family makes their way up to the storied Tower Suite, taking in the history of the building's hallowed halls and feeling the rich experiences of its past vibrate against its walls.

Camera pans to the door of Suite 801.

... and then of course, we know what happens next.

The funny thing about this message is how much it reeks of passive aggressiveness. I especially love how she prefaces the message with an apology. She wishes you could do this in person or over the phone, but alas Facebook will have to do. Then in the END of the email she requests that you CALL HER and tells you not to ignore the message.

lol you should play her game and ONLY communicate via facebook, prefacing each message about how unfortunate the situation is and how poor of a medium Facebook messages are in conveying your empathy and sincerity!

To be honest David I'm quite proud. My inconsiderate and disrespectful behavior has accomplished ALOT, but man you def one-upped me (maybe for all time) with your behavior. You not only screwed Marcy and Lyz, but you also screwed their relationships with each other, their relationships with their mothers, their relationships with each other's parents, AND you somehow passed on our poor relationship with building management TO THEM. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Also another point of humor, I love how Marcy's family supposedly had to deliberate and "ultimately" come up with the decision that our broke ass microwave, stains in all, was yes indeed after all a stained broke ass microwave. LOL

Good job. We should pat ourselves in the back, we left our clients not only disappointed but also pissed off! Zing!

They should complain to the better business bureau. LOL. Or even better, you should suggest they hire Mr. Big Time Lawyer Justin to SUE US for breach of contract! LOLOLOLOLOL

Btw i just remembered the day they toured our apartment. I believe I was half naked passed out on the pile of clothes that were on top of our futon. James or you was half naked playing battlefield.

LOLOL. what did they expect? the ******* taj mahal?

hahahahahahahahahahah

And the kicker is that she's now threatening to SUE me:

Hi David,

We have a problem. Marcy and I were unable to remain living in the building and are now occupying another apartment. Additionally, it quickly became clear as we cleaned and moved out of 801 that much of the furniture and other items we bought from you had been destroyed since we purchased them in the spring.

We are demanding that you return $200 of the $325 we paid you as the only pieces we were able to salvage from your apartment were the table, the futon frame (which was actually broken) and the futon mattress (not the cover).

While we may not be able to collect actual damages from you for the suffering incurred on our families, we do intend to take this proceedings to a small claims court to claim the money for property not delivered.

Apartment 801 was condemned and deemed illegal by the city of Evanston on September 7th. Perhaps you have a claim on the return of your security. Regardless, I am waiting 72 hours (until Friday morning) before filing papers in small claims court against you.

I regret that I have to take this position against an NU alum, but your behavior toward myself, my roommate and the real estate in reprehensible. Please call me at 1800-ima-**** so I can give you our new address to send the money or arrange an in-person meeting.

Thank you

Thought someone might get a good laugh out of this.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You and your roommate are a pair of class acts.
sarcasm.gif

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We try. But in all honesty, the apartment was clean by college standards, not to mention she saw the apartment THREE times in a completely disguisting state. When I moved in, the floor wasn't scrubbed, the carpets not vacuumed and the bathroom not clean.

She's really just an idiot who's parents believe should be treated like a princess and found the apartment not up to their bumblefuckmidwest McMansion standards.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh and when I say that it wasn't in a nice state when I got in, that was meant to say that I cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed the floors, mopped the tile and cleaned the windows. It was in decent, but by no means stellar condition.

Vman, she forfieted the right to it being cleaned when she bought our furniture as the mgmt company won't clean the apartment if there's stuff still there.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
We try. But in all honesty, the apartment was clean by college standards, not to mention she saw the apartment THREE times in a completely disguisting state. When I moved in, the floor wasn't scrubbed, the carpets not vacuumed and the bathroom not clean.

She's really just an idiot who's parents believe should be treated like a princess and found the apartment not up to their bumblefuckmidwest McMansion standards.

I'll take your word for the condition of the apartment. Your roommate's message, rather than suggesting she misrepresented the state of the apartment, instead suggests indifference. For example, leaving rotting meat in the refrigerator -- which I now gather you did not actually do -- would be pretty lame.

My comment went in particular to your roommate's comments, and the phone number.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, why is this funny?
confused.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
You and your roommate are a pair of class acts.
sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted by Brian278
This really isn't that funny.

Echo that. Not funny and really nothing to be proud of

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, i actually found this hilarious.....

I'll just back out of this thread....

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, this is very funny. It's funny "strange" not funny "ha-ha", and it's not funny in the way the OP intended, but it's funny nonetheless.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
That's way too much reading.

So...you had an apartment, sold the furniture in it to the future tennant, moved out leaving the place looking like a pig style and somehow think it is the new tennants fault that you're a jackass?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads