My Florsheim Imperials with locally replaced V-cleat heels.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by andrewro, Oct 4, 2012.

1. andrewro

andrewro Member

Hi everyone, this is the first time I've started a thread here, after many years of lurking and learning. I bought some Florsheim Longwings on the bay a couple weeks ago (my third pair of Imperials), and the heels were a little more rounded and worn than I like. I stopped in to ask my local cobbler about a combo toplift, and he asked if they had the old leather heels. The guys then showed me a box full of new v-cleats and talked some about how they used to do them all the time. I took the shoes in the next time I was downtown, and a week and $23 later ($20 for the heels, $1 for each v-cleat, and $1 for some Meltonian dark brown creme), here are the results. Much simpler than the original rows of nails, but it will probably be less slippery too.

I may cover these with the plastic heel taps for protection and traction, what do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Are the cleats steel?

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

whats the point of getting a v-cleat and cover up with rubber for traction? why not just get rubber heels?

p.s., they seems much less durable than the original heels.

4. andrewro

andrewro Member

They appear to be a mild steel. The box they were in was very old-school, probably had them for twenty or more years.

Here's a couple of V-cleat replacements I saw on the forum:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/241860/great-work-for-45-resoling-florsheim-kenmore-longwings

and

http://www.styleforum.net/t/104334/resoling-florsheim-shell-longwings-w-joh-redenbach#post_1782553

I was inspired by these threads to give it a go, once they said they could do it.

Regarding the taps - why not? I like the cleats, and I also like my wood floors. I like not slipping at work. The combo heels they showed me did not look that great, and I didn't want to bother with ordering a JR toplift. These guys are really old-timers. I guess I wanted to see what they could do. I agree they don't look as hardy as the originals, but for $22 it's worth it to me to give them a go.

5. Blakeyguy

Blakeyguy Member

They look good and the price was right. I would have probably added 2 v-cleats to fully protect the heel. They well seat in after you wear them a bit and they get wet.

6. andrewro

andrewro Member

Tried to reply just now, as I've had a few PMs about this repair, but I can't see my post so I am trying again. I wound up doing a couple coats of saphir renovateur, then a couple of coats of Kiwi neutral wax, then adding a plastic heel tap plate. I only wear them once a month or so but so far they are fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. meister

meister Senior member

V cleats = certainty of an injury on modern honed or polished stone floors and any type of surface where aquaplaning is feasible.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Well, the shoes are beautiful; unfortunately my feet are too large to ever expect to find Imperials that fit, but I congratulate you.

9. meister

meister Senior member

Keep looking - they are so numerous on eBay (not just Imperials) that you will undoubtedly find a large or wide pair maybe NOS.

10. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

This.
    I do like the sound they make.

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Congratulaions on the restoration. Though I have a pair or two of the vintage Florsheims, I find that as I get older those cleats and nails are becoming more dangerous for me to walk in and prefer rubber on my heels.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

12. delmaxfield

delmaxfield New Member

I sent an email but i don't know if it went to you Andrewro. Really would like to have mine replaced like that.