• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first trip to a tailor (various costs & my concerns)

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key with this sort of alterations tailor is to know exactly what you want, how/if it will work and be able to explain it in terms she understands. The lady I go to doesn't speak much English but has been very consistent with the jobs I bring her. The thing I like most about her is that if something is beyond the scope of her ability she will flat out refuse.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
The 2 shirt cuff reductions are on "go to" shirts, and are totally worth fixing. I wear them all the time.

This in and of itself is scary.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reevolving;2872834 said:
Originally Posted by pnin22
You went to a tailor to move some cuff buttons? C'mon, be a man! Got a link that shows how to do this? I will be recuffing every shirt I ever buy from now on.
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=49499 If she is doing what you ask of her, keep her. Be sure to explicitly state everything you want. No need for discussion, she has nothing worthwhile to contribute except her skill. Be especially vigilant on pants hemming. They love the big break.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up my stuff.
Very pleased.
As long as I know exactly what I want, this is a great find.

$20: Suit sleeves
$15: Take suit jacket in (back center seam)
$10: Take suit pants in (seat)
$10: Hem pants
$10: Shorten Sleeves (Sweater)
$10: Take sweater in
$0: Move cuff buttons

I had no real idea where the jacket sleeves should end. (at wrist or before?)
So, I had her let it go down to the wrist hinge (same length as the shirt cuff)
However, I think this is too long, as barely any cuff shows.
Next tie, I will have it land 1/4 inch before the wrist hinge...

E.Said

Reaction score
Congrats, I can't seem to find cheap alterations tailors that are any good.

I guess you just have to take some time to figure out exactly what you want done before you go to see her.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads