• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first topcoat

slimjohnson

Reaction score
I am addicted to the wealth of knowledge I consistantly find on this site.  So here's another question: I have decided to become a full-fledged adult and ditch the nylon jacket I used to wear with suits and finally get a decent black, wool topcoat.  Should I go for the double-breated with peak lapels or a single-breasted one with notch lapels?  All my suits are single and notched, so I was thinking double-breasted might mix it up a little.  Thoughts...?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Depends what you think will be comfortable. A DB is warmer because of the overlapped lapels, and also doesn't look right worn open, so it may be uncomfortable in some not-as-cold conditions. Also, some people think (there is some research on this apparently) that a black overcoat looks cheap or low-class. For your first, a charcoal overcoat would be the best choice IMO, as it will not clash with anything (although that's not typically a major issue with overcoats) and is versatile, etc. If it were me, I'd go with SB as it is not often cold enough to go around wearing a DB buttoned up where I live.

All that said, I have a DB black wool overcoat that looks great on me and consistently receives compliments, so...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't agree that a double breasted overcoat looks more professional, however, the color is probably quite important. I like black quite a bit for overcoats, but charcoal is a good choice as well. I would personally go with single breasted but it really depends on the climate and work environment. For your first overcoat, single is likely better.

fkl118

Reaction score
I think a single-breasted would be more versatile as your first overcoat. And charcoal gray would be the most versatile colour.
I tend to only wear my DB coat on really cold days, otherwise I usually prefer my SB's.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go with a gray herringbone, single breasted Chesterfield coat with velvet collar as a first overcoat.  Looks great with everything.  I saw a very nice one at Brooks Brothers whose purchase I am trying to justify in my mind.  A black DB overcoat (to wear with formalwear) would be a nice second coat.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Charcoal single-breasted with notch napel is the best route. The velvet collar is a nice touch but I think for the first one, the simpler the better. Herringbone weave is great as long as it ain't too bold. Also depending on your location, a chesterfield which in my mind is the full length coat might not be best in say you are in NYC. Climbing up and down stairs for subways, the bottom of the coat is basically like a mop. I would go for something that hits around the knee area. This look is also in my eye a more modern cut although it has been around for just as long as any other model overcoat....
confused.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I will join the chorus of single breasted charcoal. No on the black. Unless you go double breasted camel polo coat... (seems like I said that somewhere else recently
lookaround.gif
)

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will join the chorus of single breasted charcoal. No on the black. Unless you go double breasted camel polo coat... (seems like I said that somewhere else recently
lookaround.gif
)
Yeah, I keep reading that but noone says where he should get aforementioned Charcoal Coat so what good are y'all?
devil.gif
JJF

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC,21 Dec. 2004, 4:28
lookaround.gif
)

Yeah, I keep reading that but noone says where he should get aforementioned Charcoal Coat so what good are y'all?
devil.gif
JJF
Oh, you must mean eBay. Â
wink.gif

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies,21 Dec. 2004, 4:42
Originally Posted by AlanC,21 Dec. 2004, 4:28
lookaround.gif
)

devil.gif
JJF

Oh, you must mean www.FourInHand.com  Â
wink.gif

yes...Thats right. (I love this quote feature.)
tounge.gif
JJF

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to throw in the radical suggestion of going with a navy blue coat. I always think navy is more striking than charcoal. I would stick the SB, though, unless you really decide to pimp it up and go for a camel DB, which I think is the most distinguished of overcoats. Not sure I could pull that look off, myself.
smile.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would getting a velvet collar still allow you to wear it for everyday use?

I saw a gentleman this week with a clearly bespoke tan DB overcoat with a bottle greet velvet collar. The colors did not go particularly well in my opinion. Still, it was an interesting look.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the velvet is more formal, and also more likely to show signs of wear if, for example, you flip up your collar in the cold, etc. I like how they look, but I wouldn't do it for everyday.

Eric

Reaction score
You can get quite a few coats and be versatile if you use ebay. I am a camel loving son of a billy goat. I have 2 camel blazers, a 3/4 length SB coat, and my prized DB cashmere full length overcoat. So I'd like to say Camel, but I don't know your style.

So, I'd say start with a black SB notch lapel frock coat. Alot of people wear black topcoats because they are safe, but they do look good. What could set yours apart is fit.

Speaking of fit, reffering back to a post J made a week or so ago... Does anyone know if you can bring in the waist on a DB overcoat without ruining it?

Eric

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads