My first suit.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by P3R3, Feb 12, 2007.

1. P3R3

P3R3 Senior member

What do you guys think? Purchased from a fellow styleforum member. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Looks pretty good IMHO. How is the fit behind the neck? Any rippling? If not you scored pretty well fit-wise.

3. rbjones

rbjones Well-Known Member

shoulders are a little wide and you should invest in some collar stays

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

shoulders are a little wide and you should invest in some collar stays

You know, I think that may be more due to the way he is standing... the left shoulder seems to fit well with the arm closer to the body. Anyway, to judge that we'd need a pic standing naturally arms by your side...

5. P3R3

P3R3 Senior member

Looks pretty good IMHO. How is the fit behind the neck? Any rippling? If not you scored pretty well fit-wise.
    Nope fits me perfect, I was amazed at how well it fits!

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Excellent for a first suit - a hell of a lot better than I did on my first several suits.
    To provide a few, hopefully constructive, nits:
    You seem to have fairly lean build, so something with a softer shoulder and/or narrower armholes and sleeves would probably look great on you. As it is, there's a slight "boxiness" to the fit on your upper torso (although still far better than most folks out there).
    You don't really need to button that bottom button. [​IMG] In fact, seeing how the coat hangs with only the top button done is one way of checking for a decent fit.

7. P3R3

P3R3 Senior member

Heres some more pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'd probably nip it at the waist a bit and shorten the sleeves 0.25-0.5" and probably get a different tie. Seems a bit too big in the shoulders and chest as well. Also, the jacket skirt is a bit too long for my tastes, with your arms by your side, I normally think the knuckle of the thumb is a good measurement although that's not always accurate. Yours looks to be a good 1" past the end of your thumb. I'm not sure if alterations are going to be able to fix all these issues.

9. HalfCanvas

HalfCanvas Senior member

You did okay for a first suit -- it's a learning experience. The sleeves are too long, which is normal. I've only had one suit where I was able to leave the sleeve length alone, the rest I've gotten altered. You'll want to get them shortened up.

The biggest thing is that the shoulders are too wide, and the coat is probably just a size or two too big for you. How do the pants fit? Would they stay on your waist without a belt? If the pants fit perfectly, then it may just be that you have narrow shoulders. What is your height and weight, and what size is this suit?

10. HalfCanvas

HalfCanvas Senior member

I just now saw the shot from the back. The camera will always add ripples, but it's obvious that the coat is two sizes too big or so. What brand coat is this? If it is feasible, I'd recommend reselling it here or on Ebay and give the whole suit buying thing another go.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'd probably nip it at the waist a bit and shorten the sleeves 0.25-0.5" and probably get a different tie. Seems a bit too big in the shoulders and chest as well. Also, the jacket skirt is a bit too long for my tastes, with your arms by your side, I normally think the knuckle of the thumb is a good measurement although that's not always accurate. Yours looks to be a good 1" past the end of your thumb. I'm not sure if alterations are going to be able to fix all these issues.
    Seconded re the sleeve length. You probably want the end of the sleeve to fall at about the knob of the wrist bone rather than the base of your thumb.

12. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Your trousers should be worn on the waist, not on the hip. From the pics, it looks like they are sitting too low.

13. No Shoes

No Shoes Member

Fit seems to look pretty good to me (I'd shorten the sleeves a tad) but I'm wondering if a softer cut might be better for you. The shoulders look a little too formal/powerful, etc ala Fioravanti IMHO.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I think the suit's too big.

15. leconnaisseur

leconnaisseur Member

A good fit for a first suit. But this suit is none the less 1-2 sizes too big, as mentioned by others. More pronounced in your first posting.

It seems like you have a fairly high and thin stature. For your stature a british style suit with more narrow armholes and a greater chest/waist ratio would probably fit even better.

As a tall and thin guy I would go for a solid navy and not vertical pinstripes which do you no good IMO. [​IMG]